Please Help: skin lesions. Ringworm?

bookfiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten has a lesion and it is also on her nose. The vet has sent in tests to the lab and we are waiting on results.

This kitten has a littermate, and they are inseparable. We don't even have an extra room in the house to separate them (if they would even let us). So as I think about the treatment, if positive for ringworm, I am overwhelmed by how to manage both of them and the environment.

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
What do the lesions look like B bookfiend ?
Did the vet use an ultraviolet lamp to check for ringworm? It's not a definite if it's negative, but it does narrow it down a bit. If it is and you keep them together, it's pretty inevitable that the littermate will get it and you'll need to treat both of them. It's also highly contagious for humans, so err of the side of caution until you get the diagnosis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bookfiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, mani mani . The vet didn't do a lamp test, but took culture samples, and we are waiting for the lab results.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm surprised they didn't do that test.. did they mention ringworm?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, there is no point in separating them now. Some cats don’t get it or just get mild cases of it.
Did the vet examine your cat with a black light? It isn’t 100% accurate, but usually if it is glowing green it is.Still have to send out a culture to be sure.
I wouldn’t worry about it unless you know for sure.
If it is ringworm, obviously your vet will instruct you how to manage and treat the kitties. For disinfecting I have pasted below, a product that works well for around the house. Not on the kittens.
Amazon.com

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That little nose doesn’t scream ringworm to me. But it can look so many different ways. I would not make yourself crazy with this.
I would, however, make sure you are giving food and water in stainless steel or ceramic plates or bowls and wash them daily in hot water and dish soap. Rinse well.
Is there anywhere your cat can push against a screen or anything like that?

bookfiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the product tip, S silent meowlook !

The vet did not do the light test. Honestly, they seemed pretty stumped. She said ringworm might be a possibility (hence swabbing for it) but said it didn't look like typical ringworm to her. She suggested meantime that we use OTC fungicide on the affected areas.

We adopted these kittens from a shelter 2.5 weeks ago, so anything is possible.

Their water fountain is plastic, though I have another stainless stell one in storage that I can sanitize and swap in. I also wasn't sure about allergies.

In terms of a screen, we do have windows with accessible screens (as in, the screens are on the inside and glass outside).

The day after we took the kittens home I noticed fleas on them (they were not being regularly treated), and got Revolution Plus ASAP plus starting cleaning the environment like crazy every day. I haven't noticed the fleas since then but I am still doing laundry and vacuuming every 2-3 days or so.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok. Good. As for the topical anti fungal, remember that anything you put on a cat they will eat. Did they tell you what topical fungal to use? I don’t want to go against what your vet says and I will just tell you, that if it was my cat, I wouldn’t use anything until I know what it is. It isn’t worth the risk.
Also, no plants or essential oils or air fresheners in your house, right?

bookfiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great to question it, S silent meowlook . The vet suggested 1% OTC clotrimazole twice daily on the affected areas, rubbed in well, and then play/distract them for at least 10 minutes so that it can dry. They said if they end up licking any of it, it's so small that it should be harmless.

But it's important to note that the affected areas are the nasal and mouth area and not far away from mucous membranes. I asked if I should use a swab to apply the cream and they said no need, just your finger is fine, which is probably not a good idea if it's actually ringworm.

This is all just precaution per the vet while we wait for test results to come back ...

bookfiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and no air fresheners in the house. We have 2 cat-safe plants in the living room that the cats haven't paid attention to, with a few other plants in an office that is closed off to them (they can't go in there). There are closed essential oils in a closet, but they are not being actively used in any way around the house.

bookfiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And I have been feeding the kittens wet and dry kitten food that is chicken-based -- so an allergy is on my list, too. They are using the litterbox and eating just fine.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It doesn’t look like any ringworm I have ever seen. But it can look any way. Any sneezing?

bookfiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's promising. I really hope it isn't.

Yes to sneezing. Their foster told us she thought they had a cold and took them to the vet before we adopted them, telling us "they received a shot and have had meds for 10 days ... we feel it is a virus and needs to run its course."

They aren't sneezing all the time, but they still sneeze every once and a while.

They were vaccinated for FVRCP with boosters, and rabies, and records show they had tested negative for FIV/FELV (although it looks like that test was when they were really little, only 1 month.) They are almost 5 months now.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok. I would talk to your vet about maybe it being calicivirus or feline herpes virus as I have seen lesions like that with those. Even though they are vaccinated, they wouldn’t have had full immunity. I have seen cats do just fine with both of those. Does your vet know about the sneezing? Make sure they do. But as long as they are eating, drinking, playing and acting normal everything should be okay. It sounds like you are doing great with them.

bookfiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again; that's helpful. We scheduled a follow-up appointment at the vet next week so we will ask about that, too.

I did mention the sneezing and anything else I could think of when we took her in earlier. In the meantime we will work really hard to keep the environment sanitized. Unfortunately we don't have the space to isolate.

bookfiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just following up on this. The culture results came back and they are growing, aka it is fungus. The vet thinks yes to ringworm then, though now they are doing that second type to see what kind of fungus.

I am already so exhausted. The kittens have our bedroom, and I've been cleaning like crazy, and I just not only clogged the washer after doing so many loads --- now it will not drain because (I think) the pipe is clogged, and I need it looked at and can't use it meantime. I also accidentally washed my cell phone in the last load today and now have to deal with possibly having lost all that access, too -- with the work day looming!

Meanwhile, the kittens are crying for attention. I have been reading threads about all this, including the mega thread on this site, but it is starting to make me feel more hopeless instead of capable. My spouse is not happy with any of this and that definitely makes it harder.

What tricks helped you get through it?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Stop worrying about this. So, they most likely have ringworm. That’s not a big deal. Many cats and kittens get ringworm and recover just fine. It is curable. If you were going to get it you probably would have by now. This is not worth destroying your life over. It’s just a kitten with ringworm. Ask your vet for the oral anti fungal, and be done with it. Honestly, it’s not a big deal.