Please Help! - Newborn Kitten

ash711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My cat had a litter of 3 kittens yesterday morning. I went to work can home and the mother had not came back. I fear she had complications. So I got milk replacer and fed the kittens and warmed them. Two passed away last night. The strongest one is still here and seems to be improving. I have been feeding it every 2 hours 2.5-3 mL as this is all it can tolerate. It is extremely weak, can not suckle and takes a long time to swallow. Each feeding session takes me 30-50 mins as I’m terrified it will aspirate the milk replacer and get pneumonia. On its 4th feeding it sucked a couple drops on its own but that is the only progress we have made there. The kitten pees after each feeding and has had 2 stools. I have it in a box. Heating pad on low, towel on top, fluffy stuffed animal with it. Does any one have any tips at all on how to get it to latch/suck or any tips at all would be appreciated. I have a dog that is weaning her puppies that is staying by her side. Each time it cries she is right there. Is it possible for a dog to nurse it? This dog is an angel and would not hurt a fly, I just have no clue on if that is even safe.
Thanks if you took the time to read my lengthy post. I’m am just a little overwhelmed and have no idea what I am doing.

Attachments

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I assume this was a stray cat and not actually "your" cat? It really would be best if the mom could be found, but it sounds like you're doing everything right with this baby so far. Dog milk would in theory be a good cat milk substitute, but practically there is the danger of disease transmission and the logistics for nursing are not great, so I wouldn't recommend it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you can manage practically with the nursing procedure, it should be OK. Not optimal, but not worse than with a kmr... And probably better.
You can always supply with some handfeeding. if need be.
Otherwise, Can you get raw goats milk? Pricey, but always a good alternative, and has some potential benefits. As fresh milk from dog momma has too.

Are you weighting the baby? Does it add?

"Miracle nipples" on the syringe works fine for many, better than standard nipple.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let the dog nurse the kitten. If the kitten is doing well and gaining weight, all should be well. You can supplement as necessary.

If the mother cat returns she needs to be spayed immediately. Pregnant and nursing cats should not be allowed to go outside.

I’m so sorry about the two kittens who passed away. RIP, babies! :angel: