Please help!!! New kitten fleas ( never had a cat before)

tiffaniilee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all ! I need some help and advice about a new kitten I have had him not even 48 hours .... On the way home from picking up the 8 week old kitten we realized he was crawling with fleas and kitten lice :( he was kept outdoors from the previous owner we stopped on the way home to a vet who told us he had them very bad she wormed and groomed / bathed him ( flea bath) and told us to purchase frontline plus to
Treat him with... He's been treated at the moment he is sectioned off in the laundry will I need to
Treat the whole house for fleas if he hasn't been anywhere else at all ? I have children also so wasn't sure about treating the house I've never had a cat before and not sure on what steps to take when is the cat safe to come out ? ( there are alot of eggs ) thankyou !!!!

cat dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Frontline usually takes about 12-24 hours to kill all the fleas. As long as the kitty hasn't been anywhere else in the house you won't have to treat the house. I'd keep him isolated from the rest of the house for a couple of days to kill all the fleas and any new eggs. Get rid of anything he's been in contact with - i.e. carrier and after the two days, wash or throw away any bedding you used.

Fleas are annoying and gross, but you'll get rid of them.

Last edited:

payaza2000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Funny I got my Kitten at 12 weeks, and was unaware that he had Fleas until I took him to the VET. After taking him to the VET we decided to leave him there, he got a Flea bath and a new name Flea. While he was at the VET's we scrubbed and cleaned our apartment diligently trying to clean any Flea eggs that might of attached to the carpet or other surfaces. If possible I would have him cleaned and boarded at the VET, have the VET give him a Flea bath, and depending on how large your home is either scrub or clean wherever the cat has gone, or if you live in a particularly large home I would use a Flea bomb. In the mean time I would restrict movements of the cat although it may seem cruel, it is likely the best thing to do. You do not want the Fleas to lay eggs in furniture, carpet, and other places.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffaniilee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou :) I will keep him isolated even though i feel terrible about it :( I will throw out all bedding and stuff I only got cheap temporary stuff as I found the fleas / lice on the way home and was stopping at the pet shop to get him treated and stuff he was treated before entering the home at the vet we applied frontline plus the next day as advised ! I guess I was paranoid with little kids in the house ect and the risk of worms ect just want to be extra carefull we mainly have floorboards anyway only carpet in bedrooms and he hasn't been anywhere near them ... When would it be safe to let him out ? And do we need to worry about changing clothes everytime we come in contact with him ? Will the eggs attach to them and be walked through the house ? Thankyou for your help very appreciated !!! (Sorry for the long post just very new at this !) did you end pick up your cat from the vet afterwards or u chose to leave him there for good ? I wasnt aware you could leave them there for fleas ! ?

payaza2000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I picked up my cat from the VET after three days, he got his mandatory shots and the flea bath. If you get your house and the cat cleaned, you should be good. Wash clothes flea invested cat came in contact with with hot water as in a regular wash.

cat dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd keep him isolated for 48 hours after the Frontline treatment just to be safe. He'll be fine now that he's had treatment.