Please Help Me Interpret Thyroid Test

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So long story short, Luna has been losing weight. About 1 pound in 2 months. She has also been licking herself a lot (bald spots), she is allergic to something we haven't found what. I have her on cetirizine, this has been going on for a 6 months now, but then 2 months ago (we changed food to Instinct LID Rabbit to try to discard AGAIN food allergies) she started losing weight.

She weights around 9.5 pounds (4.4 kgs).

So we made bloodwork, and everything looks fine except the Thyroid test which the t4 is normal (1.48ug/dl) but her fT4 is low 0.87ng/dl. The vet is out for a few days and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere to the meaning of low fT4, can anybody help?

Thanks in advance guys

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, i dont know how the meaning either. Just wanted to say i am sorry that she is feeling bad. The weight loss is worrisome, hopefully its just from the food change? Maybe time to try something different?

Hopeful the vet will have good news, keep us updated, and i'm hopeful all will be good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

According to the artoicle

Low free T4 in cats is also quite rare. So repeat those tests in your cat as well.

That's what my vet said, he sai in theory it indicates that in the future there might be a HYPOthyroidism problem, but he has never seen such a case in a cat. So he recommended repeat the test in about 6 months.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

According to the artoicle

Low free T4 in cats is also quite rare. So repeat those tests in your cat as well.

That's what my vet said, he sai in theory it indicates that in the future there might be a HYPOthyroidism problem, but he has never seen such a case in a cat. So he recommended repeat the test in about 6 months.
I wouldn't wait that long.
Six months is too ahead in time. If there's something going on, wouldn't you like to know it as soon as possible?
It could be an error from the lab or else, but you need to know it now.