Please Help Me Come To Terms - I Just Put My Cat To Sleep And Feel So Guilty

lunaart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just had my 13 year old Siamese cat, Alfie, put to sleep earlier today. I am beyond devastated and have started to regret my decision. To be sure, he was in a bad state and that was, of course, my main motivation - to end his pain.

Late last year, Alfie was diagnosed with CKD. He was only at stage 2, but he did have hypertension. While he was getting his blood pressure checked, they noticed that he also had a heart murmur. After further testing, it was determined to be benign.

Early March of this year was when the real problems began. He suddenly fell very ill. He had vomited and was lethargic and cried out in great pain when I picked him up. The vet said he was very dehydrated, so they took him to dehydrate him. While there, he pooped bloody stool, so he as put on antibiotics and other meds. He quite eating and drinking completely and I had to syringe feed him and give him subQ fluids for a few days. He eventually got his appetite back, but was continuing to have mucousy diarrhea for a couple weeks.

I eventually got the diarrhea under control, but then he started to lose interest in eating again and finally stopped eating altogether. Then after a few days, the diarrhea came back with a vengeance. This involved many trips to the vet and many tests. We ran a fPLI test and it came back as mildly elevated and the vets thought that that was probably due to his kidney disease. Then we had a TLI (Cobalomin) test done and he was negative for EPI, but had low B12 and high folate. So we started giving him B12 shots, but with minimal/no improvement. We never got to the six week mark to have him re-tested.

The vet reran labs on him to see if his kidney disease was getting worse. His kidney values were actually better, but he now had anemia and an elevated white blood count. We put him back on the metronidazole to try to get his diarrhea under control again. Eventually, our main vet started him on steroids and that seemed to finally help the diarrhea. All this time, I am syringe feeding him approximately 200 calories a day. He tolerated this pretty well and only started vomiting a couple times last week. Even though he was getting enough calories, he didn't gain any weight and he dropped to his lowest weight yet.

Every day, he was getting a little worse. He never regained his urge to play after the initial illness. Then he refused to do other things he liked to do, like go outside on our patio to look around. He started sleeping all the time, then started getting weak and wobbly. The last few days, he started hiding almost all the time. He would purr when I came to pet him but he would never come to me anymore.

A few days ago, I thought his gums looked pale so we brought him back into the vet for a CBC recheck and radiographs. CBC showed his anemia had gotten worse in just a week. X-rays showed a number of things. He had a little fluid around his lungs, a suspicious shadow around his heart area that was thought to be a mediastinal mass and gastric distention that was thought to be functional ileus. She also noticed that his heart murmur had gotten worse and he had a galloping heartbeat. Our vet had a high suspicion that Alfie had intestinal lymphoma that had spread to the mediastinal area.

We tried doubling his steroid pills, but he continued to go downhill. Last night he seemed to be very uncomfortable and in real pain. His purring started to have a whining/crying noise to it. Then this morning, I noticed that his breathing had started to become a little labored.

When the radiograph results came back, my vet and I discussed the possibility of referring him for an ultrasound. Alfie was always a very anxious cat and I (and my vet) thought that in his present condition, it wasn't worth it to put him through all that. Then this morning, I was worried that his labored breathing would get worse overnight and he would be in such distress all night, so I decided to end his suffering.

When we took him in today, I had the vet check him over once more. Now he had raspy sounds in his lungs, which probably meant he had more fluid around the lungs, and his belly was so distended. She said she could feel fluid in his abdomen, so we went ahead with the euthanasia.

I really thought I was doing the right thing at the time, but then I came across another post that said that cats that are in really bad shape with lymphoma can be turned around with chemotherapy - even cats with anemia and high white blood counts. I never even had an ultrasound or a biopsy done. Maybe if I had gotten another opinion, I could have saved him. I was nearly hysterical with guilt when I read that. Now the trauma and grief of putting him to sleep has been compounded by this immense guilt. I can't stop crying and my chest is absolutely burning with anxiety.

I mean the what ifs are killing me. I had to syringe feed him every day for around a month - what if I had pushed to get him a feeding tube instead to reduce his and my stress. What if I had searched the internet first to see if lymphoma was worth trying to get into remission, even in his condition. What if I had pushed to get repeat x-rays earlier so we could have found this earlier. The list goes on and on.

I know I am rambling on so much that not many people are going to read all this. I suffer from depression and am on anti-depressants and xanax for anxiety. The last few months have been torture for me, making my depression creep up again and today has put me over the edge a little bit. I'm sure time will heal a little bit, but what if I can't get over the grief of putting my little soul mate to sleep too early.

CatloverinFL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Please stop blaming yourself. You did what you thought is best for him, and he is at peace now, and would want for his mommy to also be at peace. It will take some time for you to grieve his loss. I understand your pain very well having just lost my sole 13.5 year old companion to terminal cancer last week. He was my 'baby' boy and I am still crying everyday and night for him.

Surround yourself with a small, inner circle of family and/or friends who love you and who you can grieve with who will comfort you, and help you to get through this extremely sad and difficult time. Please know many of us here have lost a beloved pet and we know exactly what you feeling, and it is flat out horrible, but know that the pain your feeling now will get better with some time.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your little friend, you did all you could and more from reading all that you did for him, but it sounds like his quality of life was not good so by putting him out of his pain riddled body it was the last, most loving act of kindness that you could do for him, and he thanks you for it. The grief is ruling your thoughts right now as it will, making you think "I should have seen this before" or "what if I would have tried this" and all, but his quality of life was bad and to put him through chemo and more would have been just horrible on you and him both, I understand we never want to give up on our pets but with the long list of problems that he had it was unfortunately time for him to go, and he is free of his pain now, he is just fine, it is you who is suffering and we all understand, and are all here to tell you it is alright, you will slowly feel better one day and realize that no amount of vet care or money or love or prayers could have helped him at this point, it was his time to go and he is in a much better state of life now, he is in Heaven. :rbheart:

I also struggled with anxiety after a few of my boys passed over the last 4 years, and found the herb Holy Basil to be of great help to let me deal with the stress, it was still there but it helped me say "I can handle this head on", perhaps it could help you but talk to your doctor and pharmacist because you are taking prescription meds. But try to know that you did all you could with what you had, it was his time to move on and he is fine now, and just cry and let it out, it will help you heal.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

Please stay on this site as the help is wonderful, and I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not feel guilty.
I have read all your post and it was clear that there was no way back from his condition. It was clear that he was suffering.
And it's perfectly clear that you did all that you could, the vets did what they could. I don't know many people that would have done what you did, you went the extra mile and acted above the average for your beloved friend.
But sometimes it's not meant to be.

I know how it hurts, and I know that sense of guilt. I've been there before, and still now, 12 months later, I still ask myself if there was something thatI could have done, or something that I didn't do, or something I did wrong.

Take pride and strength from what you did for him for all that time and the love you gave him for 13 years.
Your kitty is thanking you for all the dedication you gave him.

RIP little Alfie, you wil be missed!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please stop beating yourself up for something that was performed out of love and concern. You did so much for that sweet boy, so much more than most, and you know in your heart it was something that could not be cured, nor controlled. When living turns into existing, when the joy to be alive turns into endless tests and endless fight, it is time. Chemotherapy is brutal. It is not a cure, it only buys time. And more often than not, not much of that either. If Alfie could talk he would have asked you not to prolong his suffering, it was time to let him go. The guilt will always come, the suffering and the tears. Because that is grieving, that is a broken heart. No matter how much you did, how much you wanted it different, eventually the ending would be the same.
Try not to dwell on the end, all those should haves, could haves. It elevates his death to have a bigger meaning than his life, and you do not want that. Celebrate having 13 years with that precious boy. Use your memories to bring you comfort, not pain. You have thirteen years of joy and happiness to remember, he was a companion, a friend, a beloved family member. He shared your dreams, and walked alongside you on your journey. Now he follows a different path, but it parallels yours, he will never be far behind. His tiny soul is tied to your own by the strength of your love, the bond you have can NEVER be taken from you because it is spiritual, so eternal. Just as you would want if you were the first to go, he doesn't want all this sadness and tears in your life, he wants only joy and sunshine for the one he loves above all else. He loved life too much to want to reduce the joy in yours. He is at peace now, and wants the same for you.
Time is the only thing that helps to soften the sharp edges of grief. It may take years not to feel that familiar pain in your heart when you think of him, but it will happen. One day you will think of him with love and happiness, it will bring joy, not tears. Then you will thank him for his time with you, for the love he gave you and know you gained something precious for your soul.
My thoughts and prayers are with you both, I cry with you for your loss, I smile for your memories of happier times. Know you are not alone, we are here for you in spirit and can help you learn a new life's order. Take care of yourself.......RIP precious Alfie. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again. Good night, sleep tight, sweet prince!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I can tell you til I'm blue in the face don't feel guilty but you need to realize it yourself. And with time that will probably fade. You were a wonderful mom, and don't forget that. I read through your post and saw all you went through and all the care. Just amazing.
I lost my Timmer in January to IBD/possible GI lymphoma. I had all the tests run and medications given, similar to what you were doing with the B12 and all of that. I was giving him chemotherapy every 72 hours and it did not work. He did not respond at all. So don't go thinking that it would have saved your cat. Your cat had a lot more going on. A LOT. And you were going through a lot right along with him. It's very exhausting dealing with a sick cat but we do it out of love.

Your sweet Alfie is at peace right now. You did the right thing. It's always a tough and painful decision. I still relive my last minutes with Timmer but I also have lots of photos to look at and they make me smile. I still miss him to this day and always will.

You keep coming back here and pour out your heart to us. We will listen.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Alfie, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

Sweetie, no. No. Yes, some cats do well with chemo, but that was not the ONLY issue that your Precious Friend was dealing with. Darlin, as hard as it is to hear, you could not have "saved" him, only prolonged a slow decline with a lessening quality of life. Now, he is whole, healthy, and his only unhappiness is your guilt and grief. The grief is natural, and must be gotten through, but the guilt you must let go of. You did what was best for your friend, no matter the hurt to you. I promise you that Alfie left This World blessing you for taking such care of him, for loving him, for putting him first. And love does not die, it only changes form. He is with you still, and will be, always.

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just had my 13 year old Siamese cat, Alfie, put to sleep earlier today. I am beyond devastated and have started to regret my decision. To be sure, he was in a bad state and that was, of course, my main motivation - to end his pain.

Late last year, Alfie was diagnosed with CKD. He was only at stage 2, but he did have hypertension. While he was getting his blood pressure checked, they noticed that he also had a heart murmur. After further testing, it was determined to be benign.

Early March of this year was when the real problems began. He suddenly fell very ill. He had vomited and was lethargic and cried out in great pain when I picked him up. The vet said he was very dehydrated, so they took him to dehydrate him. While there, he pooped bloody stool, so he as put on antibiotics and other meds. He quite eating and drinking completely and I had to syringe feed him and give him subQ fluids for a few days. He eventually got his appetite back, but was continuing to have mucousy diarrhea for a couple weeks.

I eventually got the diarrhea under control, but then he started to lose interest in eating again and finally stopped eating altogether. Then after a few days, the diarrhea came back with a vengeance. This involved many trips to the vet and many tests. We ran a fPLI test and it came back as mildly elevated and the vets thought that that was probably due to his kidney disease. Then we had a TLI (Cobalomin) test done and he was negative for EPI, but had low B12 and high folate. So we started giving him B12 shots, but with minimal/no improvement. We never got to the six week mark to have him re-tested.

The vet reran labs on him to see if his kidney disease was getting worse. His kidney values were actually better, but he now had anemia and an elevated white blood count. We put him back on the metronidazole to try to get his diarrhea under control again. Eventually, our main vet started him on steroids and that seemed to finally help the diarrhea. All this time, I am syringe feeding him approximately 200 calories a day. He tolerated this pretty well and only started vomiting a couple times last week. Even though he was getting enough calories, he didn't gain any weight and he dropped to his lowest weight yet.

Every day, he was getting a little worse. He never regained his urge to play after the initial illness. Then he refused to do other things he liked to do, like go outside on our patio to look around. He started sleeping all the time, then started getting weak and wobbly. The last few days, he started hiding almost all the time. He would purr when I came to pet him but he would never come to me anymore.

A few days ago, I thought his gums looked pale so we brought him back into the vet for a CBC recheck and radiographs. CBC showed his anemia had gotten worse in just a week. X-rays showed a number of things. He had a little fluid around his lungs, a suspicious shadow around his heart area that was thought to be a mediastinal mass and gastric distention that was thought to be functional ileus. She also noticed that his heart murmur had gotten worse and he had a galloping heartbeat. Our vet had a high suspicion that Alfie had intestinal lymphoma that had spread to the mediastinal area.

We tried doubling his steroid pills, but he continued to go downhill. Last night he seemed to be very uncomfortable and in real pain. His purring started to have a whining/crying noise to it. Then this morning, I noticed that his breathing had started to become a little labored.

When the radiograph results came back, my vet and I discussed the possibility of referring him for an ultrasound. Alfie was always a very anxious cat and I (and my vet) thought that in his present condition, it wasn't worth it to put him through all that. Then this morning, I was worried that his labored breathing would get worse overnight and he would be in such distress all night, so I decided to end his suffering.

When we took him in today, I had the vet check him over once more. Now he had raspy sounds in his lungs, which probably meant he had more fluid around the lungs, and his belly was so distended. She said she could feel fluid in his abdomen, so we went ahead with the euthanasia.

I really thought I was doing the right thing at the time, but then I came across another post that said that cats that are in really bad shape with lymphoma can be turned around with chemotherapy - even cats with anemia and high white blood counts. I never even had an ultrasound or a biopsy done. Maybe if I had gotten another opinion, I could have saved him. I was nearly hysterical with guilt when I read that. Now the trauma and grief of putting him to sleep has been compounded by this immense guilt. I can't stop crying and my chest is absolutely burning with anxiety.

I mean the what ifs are killing me. I had to syringe feed him every day for around a month - what if I had pushed to get him a feeding tube instead to reduce his and my stress. What if I had searched the internet first to see if lymphoma was worth trying to get into remission, even in his condition. What if I had pushed to get repeat x-rays earlier so we could have found this earlier. The list goes on and on.

I know I am rambling on so much that not many people are going to read all this. I suffer from depression and am on anti-depressants and xanax for anxiety. The last few months have been torture for me, making my depression creep up again and today has put me over the edge a little bit. I'm sure time will heal a little bit, but what if I can't get over the grief of putting my little soul mate to sleep too early.
Pls don’t feel guilty . You walked the mile with your Alfie and did everything you could from what you describe. He is gone. Let your great love for him survive. You loved him to the end, and somehow he knows that. You will be reunited one time again, bless you darling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunaart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone, so so much! You don't know how much you have helped me. :grouphug:

I feel a little better today. It really helped me to write all my feelings down in that long opening post. I realize now that I have been pretty depressed for the last couple of months because of the constant worry and stress over both of my kittie's illnesses. It actually goes back 7+ months, when my other kitty Jasper was diagnosed with diabetes. With the help of my vet and felinediabetes.com, I was able to get him into remission within a couple of months. He also had a heart murmur and was found to have an early stage of heart disease.

Then he came down with a GI type illness in late February that was very similar to Alfie's. He actually got it first and seemed to pass it onto Alfie. He got better and then we simply went in for a followup visit at our local teaching university clinic. He seemed perfectly fine when we left home but by the time we got there he was in respiratory distress. Within an hour, he was in full congestive heart failure. He died in their ICU later that night. The doctors there tried everything they could to save him. They were completely baffled as to how he could have developed this and died so quickly.

It was right after that, that Alfie started getting sicker. As sudden and hard as Jasper's death was, at least I had my little companion Alfie to help me get through it. With Alfie's passing, we now have no pets. So it has been a pretty rough couple of months. I added a picture of my two precious kitties in my avatar. That's Jasper on the left and Alfie on the right. They were very closely related - they had the same father and their mothers were sisters. And by coincidence, they were both born on the same day.

Today, I forced myself to do some busy work around the house which I have been neglecting for the past 2 months and I also went out and did a little gardening. It helped keep my mind off my loss for a bit. I have been looking at old pictures of my kitties and remembering all the wonderful times we spent together as a family.

I now know in my heart that did what was best for Alfie. Your messages of support and understanding helped me see that. I now feel I can start the very loooong path to recovery and finding some peace.

I also want to say, my husband has been my absolute rock during all of this and has been comfort me as best he can. I know he is grieving so much over this also, but he has kept it together for my sake.

RIP my wonderful, beautiful Alfie and Jasper. I will always love and miss you!
:angelcat::angelcat:

wt1964

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For people like us, whose felines are their soulmates, there will always be that "if only I'd done more". It sounds like you did far more for Alfie than many people would have done. Try not to second guess yourself. It seems you truly did all you could. Be comforted by that. Possibly the only thing harder than letting them go is watching them suffer. Good luck to you, my friend. Grieve, but take care of yourself. It's all you can do. We are here with you.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
For people like us, whose felines are their soulmates, there will always be that "if only I'd done more". It sounds like you did far more for Alfie than many people would have done. Try not to second guess yourself. It seems you truly did all you could. Be comforted by that. Possibly the only thing harder than letting them go is watching them suffer. Good luck to you, my friend. Grieve, but take care of yourself. It's all you can do. We are here with you.
:heartshape::goldstar::hearthrob:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone, so so much! You don't know how much you have helped me. :grouphug:

I feel a little better today. It really helped me to write all my feelings down in that long opening post. I realize now that I have been pretty depressed for the last couple of months because of the constant worry and stress over both of my kittie's illnesses. It actually goes back 7+ months, when my other kitty Jasper was diagnosed with diabetes. With the help of my vet and felinediabetes.com, I was able to get him into remission within a couple of months. He also had a heart murmur and was found to have an early stage of heart disease.

Then he came down with a GI type illness in late February that was very similar to Alfie's. He actually got it first and seemed to pass it onto Alfie. He got better and then we simply went in for a followup visit at our local teaching university clinic. He seemed perfectly fine when we left home but by the time we got there he was in respiratory distress. Within an hour, he was in full congestive heart failure. He died in their ICU later that night. The doctors there tried everything they could to save him. They were completely baffled as to how he could have developed this and died so quickly.

It was right after that, that Alfie started getting sicker. As sudden and hard as Jasper's death was, at least I had my little companion Alfie to help me get through it. With Alfie's passing, we now have no pets. So it has been a pretty rough couple of months. I added a picture of my two precious kitties in my avatar. That's Jasper on the left and Alfie on the right. They were very closely related - they had the same father and their mothers were sisters. And by coincidence, they were both born on the same day.

Today, I forced myself to do some busy work around the house which I have been neglecting for the past 2 months and I also went out and did a little gardening. It helped keep my mind off my loss for a bit. I have been looking at old pictures of my kitties and remembering all the wonderful times we spent together as a family.

I now know in my heart that did what was best for Alfie. Your messages of support and understanding helped me see that. I now feel I can start the very loooong path to recovery and finding some peace.

I also want to say, my husband has been my absolute rock during all of this and has been comfort me as best he can. I know he is grieving so much over this also, but he has kept it together for my sake.

RIP my wonderful, beautiful Alfie and Jasper. I will always love and miss you!
:angelcat::angelcat:
:grouphug2::hearthrob::rbheart::angel::redheartpump::rbheart::angel3::hearthrob::grouphug:

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry. I felt so guilty when I made the decision to put both my boys to sleep last year, a mere 2 months apart. Broke my heart to do it, but also knew it was the right decision for both as hard as it was. You did all you could for Alfie, and gave him a wonderful 13 years. If only they lived so very much longer... :grouphug::rbheart:

I lost both my babies within 2 months of one another last year - only 9 years old. Neko had kidney failure, diagnosed in April 2017, he made it to Sept 2017 - much longer than they expected. After putting him down, I told Nero he had to live to be a happy healthy 20 ... about 3 weeks after Neko passed, Nero developed a rapidly growing nasal tumor and lived another ~3 weeks past that, until Nov 2017. Hardest decisions I ever had to make, & the first times I ever had to decide to put an animal of my own to sleep.

They were both quite the handsome kitties in your avatar picture!

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry. I felt so guilty when I made the decision to put both my boys to sleep last year, a mere 2 months apart. Broke my heart to do it, but also knew it was the right decision for both as hard as it was. You did all you could for Alfie, and gave him a wonderful 13 years. If only they lived so very much longer... :grouphug::rbheart:

I lost both my babies within 2 months of one another last year - only 9 years old. Neko had kidney failure, diagnosed in April 2017, he made it to Sept 2017 - much longer than they expected. After putting him down, I told Nero he had to live to be a happy healthy 20 ... about 3 weeks after Neko passed, Nero developed a rapidly growing nasal tumor and lived another ~3 weeks past that, until Nov 2017. Hardest decisions I ever had to make, & the first times I ever had to decide to put an animal of my own to sleep.

They were both quite the handsome kitties in your avatar picture!
:alright::grouphug::redheartpump::rbheart::rbheart::hearthrob::grouphug2:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the hardest thing we ever have to do for our babies is to let them go. You showed great love by doing what was best for Alfie. You saved Alfie by setting him free. It is obvious that you would have done anything to change things. I am sure Alfie loved you as much as you loved him and from my experience, they seem to understand how much we would do to make their world wonderful. I don't think Alfie would want you to suffer either. I have had to go through this too. I am so sorry.

flamesabers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lunaart,

Please don't feel guilty about the things you could have done but didn't. You put forth an incredible amount of effort with trying to improve Alfie's health. It sounds like his health was at the point where all you and the vet could do at most was prolong his suffering. I think you made the right decision.

I hope you're soon able to come to peace with your decision and can remember the good times you had with Alfie.

munch64

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lunaart, I feel you. We had to make the decision on April 7 to put down our almost 15 year old Siamese girl, Gwennie. I loved her dearly. She and I were so close. There is something really special about Siamese cats: their intense loyalty, their intelligence, their big personality, their affectionate nature. (Their demands, neediness, attention seeking, ;-) I've never been so close to a cat before.

She had been dealing with ibd and vomiting for two years (plus had pancreatitis that left her never quite the same), and when she got sick on April 5, I thought it was related to that. She in fact was in the midst of acute renal failure. It was a horrible shock. She stayed overnight at the vet and we hoped the iv would help her, but she just worsened. Making the decision to euthanize was so so so so so so so so difficult. She always seemed so invincible. I'm also still struggling with guilt because after we made the decision, I had beat myself up about whether I should've had a blood test done for her in February when she had a flare-up of IBD. Possibly could've realized if her kidneys were having issues then.

Now that I'm two weeks out, the guilt is starting to fade. I'm starting to believe that her quality of life would've been poor, and that even if best case scenario we caught something sooner, she would've been on more meds and would've been diminishing and not living a life she loved. I suspect the same is true for your cats.

We both made the decision we did based on the information we had at the time. That's it. We did our best. And it was a hard choice, which in effect was that we ended their suffering and ours is just beginning.

Our cats will never be replaced. But I'm sure there are a few more meezers out there who could use a good, loving home, and when you're ready, you'll be able to give them one. Big hugs to you as you get used to your new normal. They leave such a hole in our hearts and in our home...