Please help! Looking for advice or anyone who has been in this situation

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I only see this as a setback that happens with cats. Basically just pick up where you left off and keep on going. Tree trimmers are enough to have thrown both cats off and made them excitable and anxious. You may not get them to the point of being fast friends, but you may well reach a point where they tolerate each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladycat62329

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I only see this as a setback that happens with cats. Basically just pick up where you left off and keep on going. Tree trimmers are enough to have thrown both cats off and made them excitable and anxious. You may not get them to the point of being fast friends, but you may well reach a point where they tolerate each other.
Thank you for replying. It's something I didn't think about that could have caused more stress. I will start again tomorrow since they both seemed to need time to readjust after all that noise. I'm hoping they will be able to tolerate each other in time.

Ladycat62329

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They had a squabble but separated. That is good. I would just proceed as you have been, there are bound to be set backs.
Thank you, I appreciate your comments and will be starting again.

Ladycat62329

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I wanted to give an update on what's going on and trying to see what can be the next steps.

So far, we have been able to keep Blanquita and Ginger separated mostly but there have been a few run ins. Ginger is still a little nervous of her but is ok with going outside. Blanquita is still not liking Ginger. She has chased Ginger if they have run into to each other but I don't think there are any physical fights.

The front yard is Blanquita's area and the back is Ginger's. Sometimes Blanquita goes to the back yard, I'm not sure why but then Ginger sometimes goes into the front yard. But mostly they stay in their areas.

My other cat Prowl travels to both and is ok with Blanquita but I have noticed Blanquita gets a little temperamental. Sometimes she ignores him and they can sit together while other times she doesn't want him near her. She does a little chasing to him but they don't physically fight.

The past months, I was feeding them treats for a few minutes at a time with each other separated by a screen door. They could see each other but with the help of another person, we would focus on each cat, pet them and give treats.

Sadly this training got stopped in May due to sickness and work. I plan to restart it but I would like to know if there's anything else I can do to help them feel more accepting of each other? Maybe harness training for Blanquita? She's still on the medication to keep her calm.

Any suggestions and ideas will be greatly appreciated!
Adding pictures to share of kitties!

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It does not sound as if you are having fights, so I think that you are at that point where they are not crazy about each other but are working it out. Some cats only get to the point of tolerance for each other and will never be fast friends. I would continue what you were doing before at the screen door. A pet gate is also good for that and might allow a little more safe contact between cats than a screen. Harness training is fine and can't hurt anything even if it does not work or Blanquita does not take to the harness.

Beautiful cats!

Ladycat62329

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention that Blanquita has chased Ginger at least once that I know of.

Ladycat62329

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It does not sound as if you are having fights, so I think that you are at that point where they are not crazy about each other but are working it out. Some cats only get to the point of tolerance for each other and will never be fast friends. I would continue what you were doing before at the screen door. A pet gate is also good for that and might allow a little more safe contact between cats than a screen. Harness training is fine and can't hurt anything even if it does not work or Blanquita does not take to the harness.

Beautiful cats!
Thank you, I hope so. It's been a bit of good days and bad days with these two.