Please help I’m struggling to give my cat medication

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 I just want to say thank you for all the information you provided about the compounded medication. Hopefully this will help a lot of people and not just me lol (i really feel dumb not knowing about this and feel more vets should mention this as an option)I was wondering if it is about the same price as the original script or us it really expensive?
Again thank you so much for all the information you have provided. It is greatly appreciated.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 I just want to say thank you for all the information you provided about the compounded medication. Hopefully this will help a lot of people and not just me lol (i really feel dumb not knowing about this and feel more vets should mention this as an option)I was wondering if it is about the same price as the original script or us it really expensive?
Again thank you so much for all the information you have provided. It is greatly appreciated.
Not the same price as the original prescription as you are paying for both the drug and the compounding. Sometimes the compounding adds an extra expense because you may be buying more doses than you normally would. I think the twist-a-dose transdermal pred pens I had to buy two at a time. I don’t remember that very clearly. For Krista’s chemo, I had it concentrated into a flavored oil so I didn’t have to give very much of it. But that was probably my most expensive prescription at about $100 (medicine and compounding together) because I was buying more medicine with the concentration.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not the same price as the original prescription as you are paying for both the drug and the compounding. Sometimes the compounding adds an extra expense because you may be buying more doses than you normally would. I think the twist-a-dose transdermal pred pens I had to buy two at a time. I don’t remember that very clearly. For Krista’s chemo, I had it concentrated into a flavored oil so I didn’t have to give very much of it. But that was probably my most expensive prescription at about $100 (medicine and compounding together) because I was buying more medicine with the concentration.
That would be fine tho if it makes giving medicine easily where they will take it without fighting. I'd say it is more than worth it. A stress free kitty is definitely worth it

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was a little help for me but with some I can do while she sleeps ill wake her up then give her meds. She will usually go right back to sleep. But for nasty meds I was having to scruff her hold her close to me like right next to my side (I'm kneeling on the floor it is easier on the floor for me)
In doing this I hated it. Yes she just sat rhere and let me do it and when I was done she didn't run away but it never stopped me from feeling horrible.. I just had to keep in mind (I'm helping her, this is helping her feel better, she needs me to do this or she can't get better, etc just making myself realize I'm doing things to help her and I'm not hurting her)

I'm going to start compounding her medicines. Doing it this way will also help me in the future if and when Gabby needs daily medicine. She will be used to it and not fight me

I think that compounding the mwds will help you too. Good luck and if you can give updates on what helped in your case.
You got this!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With a cat that has had to have 300 mls removed from his chest, it is extremely important you don’t stress him. Some of the methods discussed may not damage regular cats but it will push this guy over the edge.
Having that much fluid removed is very serious. Please talk to your vet and explain any medication issues you are having.

if you are going out of town, I would not leave this up to a pet sitter to do. It really isn’t fair to put a cat in this condition in the care of a stranger ( if it is a stranger) I think you should talk to your vet about boarding him there or getting an RVT that works there to come over and medicate while you are gone

Tummytrouble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't read the replies, Kind of in a hurry.
What are the medications that you are giving her?
You can ask your vet, when they open, if there is an injectable version of the medication you can give?
Often times cats that are hard to medicate by mouth are much easier to medicate with an injectable.
It is very important that you don't stress your cat.
Often times what I have seen happen is:

Owner starts looking at clock around an hour before medications have to be given. O starts to stress about it. Cat notices this. Then for the next hour every time the cat is anywhere near the owner, they look at the cat and think " I just can't do this" Cat picks up on this and now is avoiding owner. Owner reluctantly starts to get medications out and starts dreading what is going to happen next. Cat starts getting defensive and will hide. Owner finds cat, who now feels hunted, and drags him out of wherever he is and brings him to the area they have the medications set up. Cat is now starting to fear for his life. Owner and cat struggle while foul tasting (to the cat) medications are administered. Cat starts gagging on the meds and finally in his mind breaks free of the owner. Owner then chases cat down to apologize and cat sees this as more of a threat and hides more and in different locations and now avoids owner all together because he no longer trusts them. Owner cries because they feel they have hurt their cat and Owner is frustrated.

You may recognize some or all of the above or you may not see yourself at all doing any of these things. But try the following for medicating your cat.
The times to give medications often do not have to be exact. Sometimes it is easier to give the medications an hour earlier or an hour later if more convenient for you or your cat.
Personally, I hate liquid medications in cats. I feel there is more of a chance for aspiration, and they always taste horrible and wind up on the cats fur as opposed to the cats' mouth.
Often giving a pill is much easier. I will often coat the tablet with a little of the sticky pill pocket stuff just to make it easier to give. In case the tablet does touch the inside of the mouth or Toung, it will taste like the pill pocket and not the medication.
Get your medication ready without the cat knowing it. Cats will learn the sounds leading up to being medicated so be sure to switch things up.
Go to the cat. Don't bring the cat to the medication or a specific place to medicate. Take the medication that is ready to the cat and give it to the cat without any drama at all.
Most important is after giving the medication, leave the cat alone. Don't try to give a treat unless they really like treats. Just walk away.
Sometimes it is easier to give only one medication at a time. In that case an hour or two won't make a difference.
Most important is the next time you and your cat are in the same place, don't stare at them. Just be normal.

I know it is hard to do but try to act confident in what you are doing. Even if you don't know what you are doing 100%, just fake it. Cats can't tell the difference between real confidence and fake confidence. Move quietly and keep your voice quiet or don't use voice at all.

I do hope some of this helps. I know it’s hard but just try not to stress on it. Also if you fail, just stop and try later.

Call your vet when they open and see what they can do or if they have advice.
This really is such great advice. After being the person in your example, I finally figured this out too. It helps that I have so much practice as I have to med 7 times a day (temporary but awful) and so I had to learn to not be freaked out and just be assertive, calm, quiet, quick and organized. It really does make a huge difference. The cat responds so strongly to your energy. You can do it! You just need to take a breath and practice. Don't freak out if it goes wrong, because it will here and there. Just stay calm and try again later. I will say that I bought a bunch of different pill poppers (mainly bc some were just terrible) because my cat really hates having her mouth opened and will try to lock it shut. Having those poppers that work quickly and get the pill far back gives me such peace of mind. And she seems to be better with them too.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The pill pockets usually do work (the ones made by Greenies is what we use). BUT you cannot touch the pill with your finger and then touch the outside of the pill pocket, otherwise she knows its the pill and won't eat it. It's hard to do but we noticed that is an issue.