Please help! Can’t get diarrhea to go away!

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took in a stray kitten found outside in the rain, extremely underweight, had multiple types of worms, eyes matted shut and covered in fleas. I was able to help him with everything except for the diarrhea. Took him to the vet and they said he had a slight positive for giardia. He was put on meds for that, antibiotic for possibility of a URI and drops for ear mites.

The diarrhea is as bad if not worse now than it was a week ago. Went back to the vet today and Giardia test negative and other fecal test was negative. She switched his antibiotics for URI because she said possibly that was causing the diarrhea. Plus he still has a runny nose. Gave me meds to give him every four hours for the diarrhea, plus a medicated powder because his bottom is extremely raw from the diarrhea. Also started him on Albon as a precaution.

He is finally eating on his own! He only likes chicken based foods so hopefully that’s okay. He’s currently in a cone of shame so he’ll stop licking and cleaning himself in hopes it will help heal his bottom.

He’s hardly gaining any weight because it comes out as soon as it goes in him. I was having to syringe feed him until a couple days ago. He’s gained 7 oz in 14 days. I have a houseful of rescued cats so he’s been in my bathroom the entire time.

Please help! Any suggestions or questions are welcomed! I can’t take the watery poop everywhere anymore, it’s terrible! I’m spending a fortune in vet bills, medication, cleaning supplies and dog pads for him. He’s the sweetest thing but I need the poop to stop! I didn’t plan on taking on anymore rescues but who can say no to such a sweet innocent thing

Attachments

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor baby. Look into giving him S. Boulardii. It’s a yeast based human probiotic for antibiotic related and traveller’s diarrhea that also works well in cats for reducing/stopping diarrhea. I gave it to my girl who was having diarrhea while on antibiotics and it helped a lot, returned her poops to normal after a few days (while she was still on the meds). It would probably help and is safe for cats, plus because it’s yeast based the meds he’s currently on won’t just wipe it out. They also have “emergency stop” dosing protocols that are more often, but the 2x per day worked for me.

This website (and others) has info and dosing instructions that is usually for adult cats so you may want to reduce for a kitten.

Probiotics – IBDKitties

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor baby. Look into giving him S. Boulardii. It’s a yeast based human probiotic for antibiotic related and traveller’s diarrhea that also works well in cats for reducing/stopping diarrhea. I gave it to my girl who was having diarrhea while on antibiotics and it helped a lot, returned her poops to normal after a few days (while she was still on the meds). It would probably help and is safe for cats, plus because it’s yeast based the meds he’s currently on won’t just wipe it out. They also have “emergency stop” dosing protocols that are more often, but the 2x per day worked for me.

This website (and others) has info and dosing instructions that is usually for adult cats so you may want to reduce for a kitten.

Probiotics – IBDKitties
Thank you! That sounds very helpful. I’ll order some now to try

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, a probitic sounds good. PetAgs BeneBac is often good. S.boulardii is often use against diarrhea. You can prob mix them if you wish.

Also I must mention, having diarrheas they lose electrolytes, ie salts.

so, give more salts! perhaps a minerale water containg much different salts. Or pedialyte as drinking water.
Or sprinkle minerale salt on the food.

Start with common kitchen salt, while you are getting something more advanced.

K Kellbell5

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I’ve been giving him pedialyte in place of water and was mixing it with his milk replacement in the beginning. I will also take a look at that probiotic and try it also. Thank you!

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, he hasn’t. What exactly is that for?

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would this work for him? It’s going to take a couple of days to get both other probiotics in

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know that vets often recommend Fortiflora probiotics for kittens and cats, sprinkled into their wet food. The usual recommendation is to use it for one week first to see if it helps with stool and digestive issues. Are you able to get Fortiflora where you are?

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that vets often recommend Fortiflora probiotics for kittens and cats, sprinkled into their wet food. The usual recommendation is to use it for one week first to see if it helps with stool and digestive issues. Are you able to get Fortiflora where you are?
I’m in United States in, Florida. I’m in an extremely rural location though. Amazon will only deliver here once a week, that’s why it’s taking so long to get the other probiotics in. Walmart and Tractor Supply are the closest stores. Is it available at one of them?

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now we have a new issue, fur loss on his face. It’s happening so fast too. The inside corners of both eyes, around the mouth and nose. Help please! There are no sores or red spots at all

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Walmart carries S Boulaardi although I may have misunderstood and that may be the one that you have already ordered.
Robot or human?
They appear to have Forti Flora as well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Would this work for him? It’s going to take a couple of days to get both other probiotics in
This should work. The problem is, its a capsule... Im not sure if its OK to open up the capsule and just use the powder.

The other ones seems to be in pills. The same problem.
Both seems to be to use for humans, whom just swallom these.

But these probiotic bacterias are also essentially in youghurt. Esp if its youghurt enriched with probiotic bacteria. (here in Sweden we do have a common brand with such a enriched youghurt.... But I did heard something similiar is in USA...

So, cheaper and as good is to use such an enriched mild, natural youghurt. If you dont have this enriched, kefir or common in your local food shops, mild flavorless youghurt should do. Or kefir.

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*****Photos at the end of kittens bottom

Hi, kitten is doing so much better! He’s gaining weight and eating great on his own. The diarrhea has slowed to just a constant annoying drip of poop. It’s very watery though. Just enough that it gets on anything he lays on, and his path of walking, so everywhere. His fur is starting to come back in also. To me his bottom just doesn’t look right as far as the shape of it, not sure how to explain it. It’s almost like that area sticks out too far, not a prolapse type of thing at all. His anus, rectal area isn’t flat and even with his body. He also has two white spots which I’m assuming are his glands. Any suggestions on what could still be causing the leaking would be great! The tiny drops of poop everywhere are terrible!!! IMG_1224.jpeg IMG_1219.jpeg IMG_1220.jpeg IMG_1218.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I really think he needs to see a vet. He may have a bacterial infection in his intestines and/or parasites. The usual cure for this is metronidazole. This comes in liquid form for kittens, but it is prescription. His bottom does not look good. He may be impacted and need an enema. Can you see a vet?

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I can call tomorrow and usually are good about taking me as a walk in. I’ve rescued so many cats now and they have been great. His entire back end, including legs lost all fur and was extremely raw and red. That’s improved significantly but his bottom is still so red. Do you agree that he looks impacted or something? His shape of that area just doesn’t look right. He’s been dewormed and tested and that’s all good