Please give me some tips on how to keep my cat from wanting to go outside?

pp604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just made my outdoor cat an indoor cat 2 days ago. Now she sits and stares outside and climbs the door. This is also the back door so its the most used one for us. How do I keep her from escaping when we have to go out?
Yesterday I think she was pretty upset and just sat behind sofa all day. How can I keep her away from wanting to escape?

A little background info: this cat has been coming to my house since 2018. This year she loved it inside and wouldnt want to leave. I finally made the decision to keep her in forever.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, tips. Firstly, never ever allow escapes. Escapes set back adjustment. Allow too many, and your cat becomes my Clyde, a Houdini who is always watching, waiting and ready for his chance. He is like Santa, but instead of giving a bleep about children, his area of expertise includes perfect knowledge of when you are about to open the door -- he understands things like the sound of the car door, the significance of the closet and the coat rack. Secondly, be patient. Adjustment takes some time, quite often some number of weeks to see good progress. Those are the big ones to me, but a lot of folks swear by adding particular cat enrichment stuff, be it toys, cat music, cat TV, or the like. Oh, and some people suggest adding a catio or leash walking your cat. Personally, I dont know those things help; a catio is a nice thing for your cat, but in my limited experience with one, cats dont view it as a substitute. Similarly, my converted indoor/outdoor *hated* leash walking -- every sound would terrify him without the ability to freely move.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks so much for bringing her inside and giving her a warm and safe home. Once she gets over missing being outside, she'll have a wonderful, happy indoor life.

Here's a couple TCS articles that might have some tips for you.
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door – TheCatSite Articles

Also these ones:
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – TheCatSite Articles
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pp604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, tips. Firstly, never ever allow escapes. Escapes set back adjustment. Allow too many, and your cat becomes my Clyde, a Houdini who is always watching, waiting and ready for his chance. He is like Santa, but instead of giving a bleep about children, his area of expertise includes perfect knowledge of when you are about to open the door -- he understands things like the sound of the car door, the significance of the closet and the coat rack. Secondly, be patient. Adjustment takes some time, quite often some number of weeks to see good progress. Those are the big ones to me, but a lot of folks swear by adding particular cat enrichment stuff, be it toys, cat music, cat TV, or the like. Oh, and some people suggest adding a catio or leash walking your cat. Personally, I dont know those things help; a catio is a nice thing for your cat, but in my limited experience with one, cats dont view it as a substitute. Similarly, my converted indoor/outdoor *hated* leash walking -- every sound would terrify him without the ability to freely move.
Thank you. Her cat tree is coming in today. I’ll cat music and tv