Please can someone help me help my cat - FIP ?

kooie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have a cat that is about 18 months old and about 5 days ago he started acting different, he is extremely lethargic and won't eat or drink.

On day 3 of this behavior I took him to the emergency clinic and they ran about 600 dollars worth pf tests. ( didn't get copies of the tests but will on Monday) They tested him for lots of things, poison, kidney/liver, urine tests, feline leukemia, FIV, heartworm and all tests came back fine except for some kind of gamma-globulin/antibodies test which came back elevated. He had an elevated temp too. I asked that emergency vet to give kitty some sub q fluids and she suggested I give an appetite stimulant and an injection antibiotics, which I did.  The vet had no idea what it was. Today

(2 days) later I took him to his regular vet and he also is at a complete loss as to what it is. I suggested maybe Addison's or FIP. He thought no on the Addison's, and didn't know if it could be FIP. Kitty's temp is now much higher and this is after the antibiotic injection he had 2 days ago. Kitty is even more lethargic, I mean he doesn't move this one spot for hours and hours on end, in fact he is where I placed him after bringing him home from emergency 3 days ago.

I feel so bad, he won't eat or drink anything. No stool, no urine until after the sub q of fluids. Today the vet gave me some clavamox to give him even though kitty got the injection just two days ago. Before all this fever, lethargic and no eating happened I did notice he was not playing as much and not sleeping on the bed with me, I noticed he wouldn't fight me when I picked him up, just not acting like himself but was eating- this behavior went on for about 10 days and now he in a horrid state. We had house guests about 2 weeks ago and he wasn't happy with them as they had a dog and he didn't like it.

I kept kitty in my bedroom while the guests were here for 3 days.  After the company left is when this came on. I got this kitty just 1 year ago, the neighbors just up and moved and left him and he started coming around because I guess he thought this is where the cats must live as I have 2 other cats and they all got along beautifully so he has been with us since. (Plus I had him neutered and he recovered here for 2 days in the hall bathroom)  I love him dearly, I don't know where the neighbors got him, I just know they threw him out and never let him in their house again. I spoke with them 3 times about how they should let the kitty in their house at least at night because he is totally frantic at dark, he would be crouched down on my back patio and running from one hiding spot to another, he would run into my house and crawl under my bed, he was so freaked out to be outside at night, he was only 5-6 months old. He also was intact, so I took him in to my vet and got him neutered, without telling the owners.

So I don't know much about his life until these neighbors moved in and the kitty started wandering trying to find a place to be at night.

I just learned about FIP today before bringing him to my vet, I had heard of it but didn't know what that meant. Is there anything I can do to help my kitty?

He such a love and belongs here with our family. I can get him to take a teaspoon of tuna water now and then but not anything else. I don't think he can live long without food and water and now his temp is 104. (This fever seems to be antibiotic  resistant  )

I appreciate any help or advice or experience you have.

Kindest Regards,

Rebecca

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry.  Have you received a likely diagnosis of FIP from your vet?  FIP is incurable and fatal, the wet form where the cat gets sick very quickly and usually has fluid accumulate in the abdominal areas is so bad, that the only real recourse is euthanasia.  In this case you can sometimes obtain some relief by draining the fluid, but its such a temporary treatment that i would do it just to help my cat feel better prior to euthanasia.  The dry form of the disease can respond to soe treatments for a while, but generally not for long.

Did you get a diagnosis and if yes, was it for the wet "effusive" form or the dry form?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kooie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Stephen, No the vet has not told me that my cat has FIP, I asked the vet could this be FIP and he said he didn't know.

I do not see any fluid like you mentioned anywhere on my cat. He is still not right this morning, just laying in one spot and not eating.

Vet is suppose to call tomorrow, but it seems no one has any idea what is wrong or how to help my cat.

This is really pityfull, my cat is almost 2 years old and this sick, I have never seen such a thing.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah ok well let's hope its something else and it certainly could be anything at this point, including a bad infection that could respond to treatment.  The fluid i mentioned would not be visible to you, but could be discovered by a vet examining your cat or doing an ultrasound.  It's premature to say "FIP", although obviously he is very ill.  He sounds like a candidate for hospitalization at this point.  Hopefully the vet will discover something and/or your cat will rally.  Please keep us updated and i'm very sorry.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry to read this.  There is no test for FIP. When Darcy got sick, they did a test for Corona Virus and it came back positive. That doesn't mean it is FIP, just possible.  They also did ultrasound and she had fluid in her stomach. They took a sample of the fluid and based on that it came back likely FIP.  Two of her early symptoms were lethargy and antibiotic resistant fever.  Her temperature got up to around 105 and pretty much stayed there.  Steriods gave her another decent month or so, but FIP is 100% fatal and we lost her in the end.

Is your kitty eating yet?  You can syringe feed. With Darcy at first just giving her a little taste of it with syringe would get her to eat on her own.

I pray your kitty does NOT have FIP.  I have come to loathe seeing posts on here with that possibility because NO kitten or family who love that kitten should have to go through this, ever. 

kooie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank You Stephen and Misty, I very much appreciate you sharing your experiences. Thank You for telling me about using a syringe, I tried this today and my cat ate a little of the tuna, not just the juice. I also noticed today he seemed to want to come out of his hiding spot in the bedroom and he came out into the family room for the first time in 6 days. I have my fingers crossed that I see even more improvement tomorrow.

I am sorry to hear Darcy has FIP, I had no info on this until I started searching the internet and learned what an awful disease, they can't even test for it, so we are left in the dark for days on end and all the while the cat is suffering.

I wonder what is wrong with my cat, and after the antibiotics wear off will he be ok, but I have no choice but to take this day by day.

I don't know if my cat has fluid like Darcy did, I didn't have a ultra sound done, but will if my cat is not better tomorrow. I see my boy is very weak and can't jump up on the couch.  Hard to watch a cat that is hardly two years old go through this.

I am going to try to use the syringe again tonight to entice him to eat, thank you for that tip .

Again I am so so sorry that you and Darcy ever heard of FIP let alone lived the nightmare.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is tragic, and I'm very sorry to say it but it does point to FIP to me.

I think your vet just doesn't have experience with FIP, or he would have had a bell go off in his head when he said the globulins are elevated and kitty has a fever that is resistent to antibiotics, very typical classic symptoms.

Even worse for me to say is, your cat is suffering and has been. He is extremely sick.

Between the symptoms and the lack of other possibilities given his age, please don't allow him to suffer any longer than necessary.

I understand you need to hear that it is likely FIP from a vet, but this vet might not say it if he hasn't seen it much.

Also explains why he didn't think to feel for fluid in his tummy. 

kooie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank You catwomen, I am hoping this is not FIP of course, today I am seeing my cat spending time in the family room and actually took

some cat treats. The clavamox and the antibiotic injection seems to be helping.  Since I know nothing about FIP I am wondering would a cat improve a bit

with sub q fluids, antibiotics and pushing foods only to go down hill again?  I am seeing slight improvements and for sure he is not getting worse.

I remain guarded though.

Keep you posted, if my baby makes it through this he will have 8 lives left !

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank You catwomen, I am hoping this is not FIP of course, today I am seeing my cat spending time in the family room and actually took

some cat treats. The clavamox and the antibiotic injection seems to be helping.  Since I know nothing about FIP I am wondering would a cat improve a bit

with sub q fluids, antibiotics and pushing foods only to go down hill again?  I am seeing slight improvements and for sure he is not getting worse.

I remain guarded though.

The sub-q's and a bit of foods WILL cause a temporary relief for him, noticeable to you.

Watch the fever, if it goes down at all is one thing, but if it goes back up at all then it is not reacting to the antibiotics, just the sub-q's and foods.

kooie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you so much catwomen, just the kind of info I was looking for. I will temp him today for sure.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I remain guarded though.

Unfortunately, yes.  My Darcy did perk up a bit with the antibiotics and prednisolone. I think pred is what helped her feel better for awhile.  She also ate treats, and regular food, although sometimes I had to jump start with syringe feeding.  I don't know if her temperature ever went down because when it looked like it really was FIP, we just stopped checking.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Unfortunately, yes.  My Darcy did perk up a bit with the antibiotics and prednisolone. I think pred is what helped her feel better for awhile.  She also ate treats, and regular food, although sometimes I had to jump start with syringe feeding.  I don't know if her temperature ever went down because when it looked like it really was FIP, we just stopped checking.
Yes, the pred will help them feel better temporarily too. The fever will vary somewhat with FIP, even be below normal at times, but usually closer to the end.

If on antibiotics, you see the fever go down some, it does not mean it is responding to the antibiotic, simply that it will do that with FIP.

It will also go back up too, which makes it clear that it didn't drop as a response to the antibiotic.

kooie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good info Misty, As I said I really really hope this isn't FIP, but I want to keep it real at the same time. It makes sense to me our cats would show improvements on steroids and antibiotics but not be cured if it is FIP. I am so frustrated that there is no test for this. I am keeping a close watch on him, his name is T-Mobile.

Here is a photo of him..

kooie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know huh, he is so sweet and the neighbors up and left him ! ( before they left him a month ago - they had thrown him outside to never let in their house, and he was only 5-6 months when they did that)

He knows he is not suppose to be on the counter so this is where he sits while I prepare food. lol

stephakneexo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is beautiful. I just lost a cat to Feline Aids. It wasn't ours. It was the neighbors. They never took care of him anyways.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kooie I'm so sorry, it's bad enough when you read about the kitties - makes my heart break when I see the pictures.

I hope he feels better, I love his name, I"m so glad that he has such a caring pet parent.

kooie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awe geez I am so sorry stephakneexo that you lost your cat to FIV, I know I was worried that this is what my cat has and neither are good.

What is it with people not taking care of their animals better, I got into several verbal arguments with my neighbors about not taking this/THEIR cat in.

The cat food was outside, old,moldy and full of ants, no water and they said "well we don't believe in litter boxes". So there you have it.

Again sorry for your loss.

kooie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Reba for your kind words. Lets hope this is just something he ate or something simple and he gets better !

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"well we don't believe in litter boxes".

Interesting, haven't heard that one before.

Good for you for taking a stand - I just wish you could argue with stupid. 

I got my five in a way similar to yours.  As far as I can tell, the neighbors adopted the two parents, kicked them and then they bred and had kittens. Then the film ran in reverse with us taking in the kittens first and later the mother cat  and then the father cat.  The parent cats are the best cats, so loving and well behaved.  The (former) tom cat even knows how to sit like a dog!  Whomever had them clearly  interacted with them quite a bit - so why kick them out?   Oh well, as I've said before, their loss - our gain.

Last edited: