Pleaaaase let Aaru have her kittens safely and SOON...

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have 10 week old kittens , I started by asking around and showing either pictures on phone my describing them ( ours are sll different) . When three had homes I let my six year old pick her favourite, then I realized I couldn't let go of the one that looks exactly like a cat my now 18 yesr old daughter and I had her whole childhood. So it might be easier to keep the one left over[emoji]128578[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@howmany I know... it's so difficult to pick. It's even more difficult because I can barely tell them apart.

@sarthur2 Yeah, she plays more with the bigger boy, and I'm really starting to like him too. He cuddles up to my feet, and head butts my ankles. He's really a cutie. I had planned on keeping the girl, but I may keep that sweet boy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat's favorites are her only daughter, and one of her three sons (the one pictured with her in my avatar). She and her daughter are unbelievably bonded.

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mastitis concern question... help please!

Is it normal for one of the mammary glands to maybe be more full than others and feel a little more firm? It's not hard, and there's no pus or redness. There's also no pain at the gland, and Ru is having no difficulty nursing. I don't want to freak out for no reason... please let me know if it sounds normal for one gland to just be a little bigger and firmer than the others. Is this a cause for concern? I wonder if it's just not a gland that gets nursed as frequently, since she only has 3 kittens. I don't want to rush her to the vet and traumatize her if there's no cause for it. Her appetite is fine. Although she's a bit more vocal than normal and a bit lazy this afternoon, I assumed it was because she's a little worn out and neurotic from chasing the (newly free-range) babes all over the house for the last few days.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can apply a warm, damp compress to see if it will soften a little. Not all the mammary glands will be the same size though, and some do get used more than others. Do you see kittens nursing from this nipple?

The kittens really should not have the run of the whole house right now.

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2 Thanks for the advice. Not long after I posted, they nursed. Now the gland seems down to a normal size and is comparable to the rest. The babies are only allowed to explore freely when I'm here with them. I'm about to run to the store, so they're going to go back to their room. I should mention that my house is very small. It's  a single story hunting cabin. LoL. However, I appreciate your advice and agree.:)

bmedlock09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree that it would be safest for her to stay in. I wish I had a sunroom, but we live in a little cabin in the woods with only a few rooms. I actually audibly laughed at the sunroom question :). When she goes out now, I watch her like a hawk and she usually stays on the porch or hunts in the garden. When she starts to head away from the house, I snatch her up and bring her in. I see the wisdom in keeping her in even while weaning. I borrowed a large crate from a friend that I might leave on the porch for her to have some outdoor time in. My main concern is that if I keep her captive, she will run away when I eventually do let her out, and I won't be able to get her to come back. It won't be safe for her to be a barn cat either, which is what she will do if she runs away. Arrgh. I most definitely agree with the risk of an additional pregnancy, which is not an option. I don't want her to spend her life as a kitten factory with one litter after another. For that reason at least, she may need to just stay in.
My car didn't. She should be fine. :-)

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'm a little concerned (I know I'm a worry-wort with my non-stop concerns) about a tiny bit of watery eyes in the babies. When they got up this morning and started playing, I noticed that there was the slightest bit of moisture/eye boogers on them. The discharge isn't gross, or abundant, and they aren't showing other problems. They seem to feel fine. The only other issue is that one of them has always had this problem of scratching his head and ears, although I can't find any cause for it. I've looked for fleas, earmites, you name it... he's spotless. Just itchy.

In good news, at least 2 out of 3 babies are nibbling their momma's dry kitten chow! I'm so excited because I started offering them softened kitten chow with KMR the other night, and got little interest. But I've caught them trying the dry kibble after seeing Ru eating some. Yay!

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes if it gets bad vets will give antibiotics in ointment or other forms. If it is worse you can clean with abit of cotton pad or what ever you have thats clean and warm water with a pinch of salt, clean cloth for each eye! (so it is like tears).Try not to wipe away gunk with your fingers and then touch another kittens eyes with washing. It is often a virus.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you may want to get the kittens looked at. Their eyes may need terramycin ointment, which is common in kittens and clears up quickly.

The one who scratches may have ear mites, which are also easily treated. Kittens do not normally scratch their ears and heads this young, so something is bothering this kitten. Or it could be an ear infection.

So I suggest you take them to the vet for a check-up.

leen and alice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes around two weeks ago Im sure her

ears are mitefree I always check them

its just wax..

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Same here @leen and alice ... there are no mites on my babes either. I check frequently. There's nothing visibly wrong at all. No flea dirt, no mite residue, no rash, wounds, yeasty smell, or anything. I don't like to use cotton buds/Q tips on any but the most docile kitties, because of the risk of ear damage if they suddenly jerk the wrong way. But I think they are big enough now that I can put my pinky finger in the ear with a soft tissue. I may try that. Otherwise, they are all doing great.

Scratchy log is a hit with the younger generation too, apparently...

As are meditation cushions...

Skirt ties (don't worry- I watched him carefully)...

And rugs in the sunshine...

I'm pretty sure they're all eating kitten chow now, although they look so identical that it's hard to tell who's who at a glance. I painted their tail tips with nontoxic craft acrylic, but it wore off in one day. I'm not sure if I should keep putting it on, because I don't want them (or Ru) to eat a ton of it if it's coming off while bathing. Also, today was the 2nd day with a litterbox full of duty and no accidents on the floor!!! Yay! Litter training and weaning well underway. They'll be 6 weeks old this Sunday.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are so cute! I love black kittens! [emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji]

Glad the litter box training is going so well! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

leen and alice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my god ADorable!
I wonder why most people hate black kitties... theyre just So cute!![emoji]128525[/emoji][emoji]128525[/emoji] good job on the litter training!! My kitten is a handfull... I hope theyre not alot of trouble![emoji]128515[/emoji] How much is their weight? Since theyre 6 weeks old( month and a half) I predict maybe 500 grams (0.5)?

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very sweet we had 3 black out of 5 !
Black cats are so prettiest I had one for 11 years before loved her[emoji]10084[/emoji]️

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone. :) I think they're pretty cute too. Last night, 2 of them pulled themselves up into the bed with me and I got to cuddle with them there for a few minutes. I don't sleep with them yet... they're too little and I'm afraid I'll roll over on one. As for weights, @leen and alice, you're about right! They're a little over a pound (US) and slightly over  500g. However, it's really hard to get an accurate weight on them because they're so wiggly that I can't seem to get all 4 feet on the kitchen scale I've been using. I need to put a box on there, tare the box, and try to get a weight by putting the kittens in. That would give me at least a few more seconds of working time before they escape. :)

Last edited: