Playing Fetch.

coffeechick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may be more about human than cat behaviour, so: my apologies if this is the wrong section.

Morti started bringing me her toys and dropping them in front of me. I, being dense, did not understand what might be going on until someone told me that some cats fetch.

Morti is one of those cats.

It has to be the toy she brings me, and fetch is infrequent, but it happens. I think she even tries to get me to play while I'm asleep--I've woken up under several toys.

El started playing, too. Out of nowhere. She only seems to play with caps from bottles.

I think this is wonderful. They just bring me toys, and bring them back when I throw them.

I assume I'm doing what they want, and not inadvertently offending them by throwing whatever they're 'offering' me. They seem to be having fun, anyway.

So, my question: should I also be praising them for bringing the toy back? Does praise even work on cats?

When did cats start teaching us to throw things they bring us, anyway? This is just odd.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've owned several cats that fetched, including my current kitten. She fetches rubber bands. When I go to bed at night, there are usually several rubber bands in a pile on the bed. I'm not allowed to go to sleep until I pop a rubber band against various walls and she hunts them down and brings them back. I usually tire of the game before she does. But yes, absolutely praise the cat! Farrell gets a "Good Girl Farrell" and a scratch between the ears on every retrieve.

Fetching probably has something to do with an instinct cats have to let you know they are "earning their keep" or working to contribute to "the family". Outdoor cats who hunt at night often bring prey (live or dead) home and want praise before eating it. My grandmother had a cat like that for 23 years. :D

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When did cats start teaching us to throw things they bring us, anyway? This is just odd.
coffeechick coffeechick - At risk of sounding at once jejune and bathetic, cats have a great deal to teach Humans; the simple truth is that most Humans are simply too self-absorbed to learn.

No; it doesn't answer the question, "when." At the outset of our current geological epoch - the Holocene - there's indisputable evidence of "domestic" cats living with semi-nomadic (i.e. so-called "gatherers") cultures. Roughly twelve and one-half thousand years ago, cats - already close companions to Humans - began herding people into close-knit colonies, in an effort to consolidate food sources, and the rise of Human communities which sparked the Neolithic Revolution and the shift from nomadism to agrarian culture taught the Humans that being in one place could vastly improve their Lifestyle(s). Was it actually Human observance of the food source-based territoriality evidenced by cats (and other territorial predators) which gave rise to the small circle of huts placed 'round a fire pit which eventually became New York City? Fifteen thousand years ago, it was swampland. Now, more than one-half million cats reside there - the overwhelming majority being exceeding well cared for by their Human companions.

Cats have a surprising amount to teach Humans. Sadly, Humans haven't - in the main - the willingness to learn from cats. Humans are, after all, better than cats. Don't believe it? Just ask one.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I play hair band fetch with one of my cats ... I'm constantly fighting him over my hair bands. He will fetch it 3-10 times then gets bored (he fetched a lot more when he was younger.) I buy the hair bands that are solid elastic (no metal thingy) and the elastic is covered. I also replace his old rubber bands and throw out all regular office rubber bands so he doesn't get them. My aunt taught her cats how to play tag.
I know cats adjust what meows they use & how loud they will be according to the human. My cats don't have to meow often, they have me well trained ;)

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This may be more about human than cat behaviour, so: my apologies if this is the wrong section.

Morti started bringing me her toys and dropping them in front of me. I, being dense, did not understand what might be going on until someone told me that some cats fetch.

It has to be the toy she brings me, and fetch is infrequent, but it happens. I think she even tries to get me to play while I'm asleep--I've woken up under several toys.

El started playing, too. Out of nowhere. She only seems to play with caps from bottles.

I think this is wonderful. They just bring me toys, and bring them back when I throw them.

I assume I'm doing what they want, and not inadvertently offending them by throwing whatever they're 'offering' me. They seem to be having fun, anyway.

So, my question: should I also be praising them for bringing the toy back? Does praise even work on cats?

Cool! Yeah, I had a kitty who did the same. Watch out though, these sorts of kitties tend to be especially clever. ;)

If you want to encourage her to do it more, yes, praise will work. Have a keyword or a clicker that you use when she brings it back, and then give a treat.

Kitties are trainable, they just need more convincing than dogs. But I'd think if she enjoys doing it on her own terms already, it won't take much convincing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coffeechick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, they're clever.

I got this silly trick or treat basket at the dollar store, and as of today, it is officially the toy box.

I put an assortment of toys in there [annoying chirpy birds, rattly tubes, and some caps and rings], and they both seem to 'get' it: toys are in the box, and they're up for grabs.

El fishes out caps. Morti gives it a thump so her Bird of the Day goes off.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats can learn the fetch game, but some smarties figure it out before we start to teach them. The thing I love about it is that
I keep trying to teach Charlie to fetch; but have been unsuccessful... Maybe he just doesn't like running that much. :dunno:
You need to start with his most played with toy. You take it away from him when he is playing and throw it. If he doesn't go after it, you go get it, go back to your starting spot and toss it again. You repeat this over and over. Some cats figure out the game in just a few tosses, but some cats take months and some just never get it. I had that happen with my current cat so I finally gave up and then one day several years later she dropped a water dish soaked Pom Pom in my lap and when I tossed it, darned if she didn't return it to me. Turns out she only wants to play fetch with soggy Pom Poms.

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, they're very particular about WHAT to fetch! My cat has a favorite stuffed mouse covered with suede-like grey fabric, and that's the only one she will fetch. It's so worn and tattered it's lost its tail and the ears are almost gone. She has a tendency to lose it now and then, so I got 3 or 4 backups of the same kind. And she will hardly touch them! She's one happy cat every time we find the old favorite under something. I often find it in bed with me in the morning, too. She always gets a pet and "good girl" when she brings it back to me.

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats, one that fetches and the other that just looks at us like we're stupid. The one the fetches like small balled up pieces of paper. He will wear me out throwing it so he can fetch.

coffeechick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
El: Just caps. So far. Either Boost caps [the nutrition drink] or the tiny little caps from the cheapest bottles of water you can get. Like, three bucks for more than I can lift at Sam's Club.

Morti: Whatever toy she brings. Only that toy. I couldn't even sub Thing 2 for Thing 1 and fool her.

She has a real thing for those toys with sound chips in them, too. When her first Chirpy Bird 'died' [no more chirps--still can't figure out why] she let out the most despondent meow.

El played for hours earlier today. She even came to get me when she lost it [an 'attention' meow followed by a 'follow' chirp/look/dance, right to where she lost track of the cap].

Then Morti wanted to play.

Which is better than it used to be. El used to lurk and jump Morti, disrupting fetch. I think that actually caused the 'no fetch' lull between when we got them and now.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Many cats enjoy playing fetch ( when it strikes their fancy...) soft mice and kitty boinks are popular choices (as are soft toys that make bird sounds when distubed..)

one thing that is extra fun is to play fetch in 3d. Unlike dogs, cats are very atuned to the vertical world, and if you throw a toy up on top of a cat tree, for example, your cat may well give you a really cool show jumping/climbing up then down super fast to retrieve the toy and return it to you to o it all over again!

coffeechick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need to get going on those cat tree plans, then.

El might be really into that.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Many cats enjoy playing fetch ( when it strikes their fancy...) soft mice and kitty boinks are popular choices (as are soft toys that make bird sounds when distubed..)

one thing that is extra fun is to play fetch in 3d. Unlike dogs, cats are very atuned to the vertical world, and if you throw a toy up on top of a cat tree, for example, your cat may well give you a really cool show jumping/climbing up then down super fast to retrieve the toy and return it to you to o it all over again!
We have a split-level and I use the stairs for this to make the one that fetches run up and down. That really tires them out too. You can also run a wand toy up and down the stairs - almost guaranteed a tired kitty!

MoxieinMaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Moxie is my first cat to ever play fetch and she really only likes to do it with her favorite soft ball or lately, paper balls. All she has to do is hear the paper crinkle and she'll come running. Her favorite place to play is in the long hallway so sometimes she'll come out there with her toy and meow to let me know that she needs some playtime. She's also learned that the word "ready" is what I say right before I throw the ball and will crouch down with the little happy ready-to-pounce wiggle when I say it. She used to bring the ball back to me more frequently, but now she's taken to "killing" it, then waiting for me to come throw it again.

She's the most interactive cat that I've had,in terms of playing. She also likes to chase me and play hide and seek.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

Praise works on our girl Gypsy

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I play hair band fetch with one of my cats ... I'm constantly fighting him over my hair bands. He will fetch it 3-10 times then gets bored (he fetched a lot more when he was younger.) I buy the hair bands that are solid elastic (no metal thingy) and the elastic is covered. I also replace his old rubber bands and throw out all regular office rubber bands so he doesn't get them. My aunt taught her cats how to play tag.
I know cats adjust what meows they use & how loud they will be according to the human. My cats don't have to meow often, they have me well trained ;)
:hellocomputer: Gypsy taught me to play tag. :running:She doesn't need to meow much, she has us VERY well trained. :crackup:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise

:clap::clap2::thumbsup: