Play Time Or Fighting?

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cats in that video are playing. Their body language is happy (as someone else said.) They aren't hissing, their ears are facing forward, their fur isn't standing up, so I think you're good. The one that was on the bottom was still exposing his/her belly to the other, paws out, like cats do when they're playing (or Cinnamon when she's trying to look cute for pets..)
Cinnamon "trills" when she plays. We don't have another cat, but I'd assume that the play trill that she makes when she is excited/playing is the sound you're talking about.

Supervise them, as others have said, but as long as the body language is good and you make sure there is no actual damage then my uneducated guess is that they're playing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alfieluca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow what great advice thank you but we have hit a major wall and have taken a huge step back unfortunalty.

My older cat Alfie became sick and vomited through the night and again the next day he has not eaten in two days as well as not going out anymore which is extremely unlike him and has been very stand off ish with myself and the kitten, the kitten just loves him though!

Anyway I took Alfie to the vets bloods are fine but she thinks he may have been in a bit of pain as seemed uncomfortable when touching the base of his tail. So she gave me painkillers. Anyway Alfie seemed so stressed and hyper vigilant and nervous when the kitten was around. Even when I put the kitten in “his room” Alfie was on edge at every noise he could hear.

Anyway I was so worried about Alfie that My mum has taken the kitten for a couple of nights, I’m worried if he’s sore or ill that the kitten will not allow him time to recover or even sleep it off considering how on edge Alfie is.

But soon as we got home from taking the kitten to my mums Alfie began eating again and is sitting in the living room with us which he hasn’t really done over the last couple of days.
I gave Alfie the pain killers about 2 hours ago please tell me the painkillers are kicking in and he’s not just relalised the kitten has gone and he can relax?

I’m feeling stressed myself I love the kitten and hate the thought of giving him up (although I know my mum would be a great apodpted mummy) or am I just giving in to my spoilt boy! I don’t know what to do? When I collect the kitten do I go back to reintroducing them super slowly?
Please help!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow what great advice thank you but we have hit a major wall and have taken a huge step back unfortunalty.

My older cat Alfie became sick and vomited through the night and again the next day he has not eaten in two days as well as not going out anymore which is extremely unlike him and has been very stand off ish with myself and the kitten, the kitten just loves him though!

Anyway I took Alfie to the vets bloods are fine but she thinks he may have been in a bit of pain as seemed uncomfortable when touching the base of his tail. So she gave me painkillers. Anyway Alfie seemed so stressed and hyper vigilant and nervous when the kitten was around. Even when I put the kitten in “his room” Alfie was on edge at every noise he could hear.

Anyway I was so worried about Alfie that My mum has taken the kitten for a couple of nights, I’m worried if he’s sore or ill that the kitten will not allow him time to recover or even sleep it off considering how on edge Alfie is.

But soon as we got home from taking the kitten to my mums Alfie began eating again and is sitting in the living room with us which he hasn’t really done over the last couple of days.
I gave Alfie the pain killers about 2 hours ago please tell me the painkillers are kicking in and he’s not just relalised the kitten has gone and he can relax?

I’m feeling stressed myself I love the kitten and hate the thought of giving him up (although I know my mum would be a great apodpted mummy) or am I just giving in to my spoilt boy! I don’t know what to do? When I collect the kitten do I go back to reintroducing them super slowly?
Please help!
It's really not possible to tell the cause, because we can't ask them to tell us in English, unfortunately. But I don't see how Alfie's situation could possibly have anything to do with the kitten. I think you did the right thing in letting Alfie rest for a day or two without a very active kitten in his face, but again, I can't see how adopting a kitten could harm Alfie.

SamanthaL:)

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww I'm sorry about your sick Alfie :( Hopefully he will get better real soon and then maybe the kitten can come back and play if you think it will be ok. I'm not an expert obviously, but some of the things you said sounded like there was potential familial love (I.e. nose-touching, bum licking :)
I found everyone's insight really helpful. A lot of the articles I've found online essentially said "if they're not trying to kill each other -they are playing." But both cat and human behavior are more nuanced than that (i think) and we're trying to get a better sense of to what extent our cats are enjoying themselves or to what extent they're stressed out- even though its hard to know for sure. So thanks for the insight, i feel like I have a little more Information about the dynamic at play. Also, thanks for the compliment about my pretty gurls. I love them so so so much :):):)