Pictures Of Black Cats

3sacrowd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would love to post photos of my kitties, but I have trouble taking pictures of Momo. He is all black and comes out like a blob in photos. I notice some of you have quite dark cats but manage to get good pics. How do you do it? Is it possible with a phone with no special features?

2017-01-10 01.34.24.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: There! You can always have Momo by the window so that there’s daylight from the outside coming in or turn on more lights in the rooms. Or you can do some basic editing from your computer if it comes with a basic editing tool so that you can brighten the photo. Or download a free image editing program to your computer.

We have a special thread here just for black cats only Black Cats Only

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is my friend Purry Dylan. @tarasgirl06 told me about this thread. I hope you like my friend.
He's adorable!! I love the little white spot on his chest.
Here's my old guy Sirvester:

And YES it is very hard to take pictures of black cats! I use 3 different tools for taking photos of my cats with my Samsung Galaxy S8:
1) Lighting. Lighting is crucial to taking a clear picture. Your camera will try very hard to compensate in poor lighting and even a cat that isn't moving will appear as a blurry black blob. Even if you don't have a phone that can make the two steps below, you can still have a gorgeous picture with good lighting. I used nothing but a floor to ceiling window shining on Sir to get the photo above.

Remember to take a photo with your cat facing the light. If you take it with his back to a lit window, your camera will make him appear MUCH darker than you see.

2) Shutter speed. If you have this option, lower your shutter speed significantly. In high light conditions indoors I usually find success with around 1/500th of a second. This WILL make your brightness go wonky, but panic not! You can fix it with step 3.

3) Adjust your ISO. I crank mine way up after adjusting the shutter speed until the brightness matches that of the room.
These steps should help a ton with taking pictures of not only black cats, but cats in motion too! I've gotten some fairly decent jumping/playing shots of my kitten Reese. Keep in mind that one of these photos was taken mid jump and the other as she grabbed a toy:

This is what these photos would look like without the adjustments:

Good luck!!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Windows, overhead lights and the right angles are your best bet in taking photos of black cats. Both flash on and flash off to see how it looks with the surrounding light. I usually try to take daylight photos with the room lights on for best results.

IMG_20181001_184317.jpg

If you really want to do a night time photo you need light nearby. This is with a light less than five feet above and three feet behind.

Eyes open is also a better option. It gives people a place to focus and figure out where to look.

Profile photos are also a good option