Picky mother cat. HELP

nss008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat just gave birth 4days ago. She has always been a very VERY picky eater. She was a stray cat and at first she was not this picky. Now she barely eats anything she sniffs it and goes away. She eats raw food. She only eats fish these days. She looks skinny after giving birth. I am really worried that why she's behaving this way. Moreover today when she came out of her nesting place she was like screaming. Her meow was really loud. PS: i live in a country where there are not many options for cat food. So can you follow plz suggest me nutritious raw diet for her? I am really worried

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried canned tuna, most cats love this, and right now you have to get her to eat and not worry about what it is. Mother cats do very well on kitten food too, it's higher in calories and things she needs, do you have access to that? I hope a nutritionist will give you the answers you need. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nss008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought canned tuna yesterday and I have decided to try it out. Fingers crossed. She is my first cat and I am so nervous all the time if I am doing this the right way

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat just gave birth 4days ago. She has always been a very VERY picky eater. She was a stray cat and at first she was not this picky. Now she barely eats anything she sniffs it and goes away. She eats raw food. She only eats fish these days. She looks skinny after giving birth. I am really worried that why she's behaving this way. Moreover today when she came out of her nesting place she was like screaming. Her meow was really loud. PS: i live in a country where there are not many options for cat food. So can you follow plz suggest me nutritious raw diet for her? I am really worried
Many people here feed raw food

Just giving fish or meat with nothing else is not a complete diet for your cat. Can you get liver, organs, and bone where you live? If so, a prey model diet sounds best for you. You feed 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other organs for every meal. Fish isn't recommended to feed daily because it's pretty low in protein and many cats get addicted to eating it.

The supermarket canned tuna is ok for now but lacks the vitamins and minerals a cat needs. What brands of foods are available where you live? Have you asked a vet for food options?

Your cat needs to eat not only to keep herself healthy but also to produce enough milk for the kittens.

Last edited by a moderator:

nss008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Many people here feed raw food :)

Just giving fish or meat with nothing else is not a complete diet for your cat. Can you get liver, organs, and bone where you live? If so, a prey model diet sounds best for you. You feed 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other organs for every meal. Fish isn't recommended to feed daily because it's pretty low in protein and many cats get addicted to eating it.

The supermarket canned tuna is ok for now but lacks the vitamins and minerals a cat needs. What brands of foods are available where you live? Have you asked a vet for food options?

Your cat needs to eat not only to keep herself healthy but also to produce enough milk for the kittens.
i give her the other food too that you mentioned. Sorry forgot to tell that [emoji]128512[/emoji]. Here we have WHISKAS and SMART HEART. Should i try those??

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i give her the other food too that you mentioned. Sorry forgot to tell that [emoji]128512[/emoji]. Here we have WHISKAS and SMART HEART. Should i try those??
Either of those commerical cat foods would be ok to feed if they come in a canned version. Some people fee that dry food should not be fed along with raw food but I guess if all you can get is dry food, then feed it.

There's more info here on feeding a prey model diet (PMR) and sample recipies: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264154/raw-feeding-resources

wermy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have read that fish is bad to feed cats as it has the wrong nutrition levels, and tuna especially to avoid because it is very fatty and very addictive - so cats who go on a fish/tuna diet often get malnutrition because they do not want to eat anything but the tuna. I'm not sure if this could be why your cat is picky, but I would try and mix the tuna/fish with other canned cat food so she gets the fish taste but also other nutritional sources besides fish.

nss008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have read that fish is bad to feed cats as it has the wrong nutrition levels, and tuna especially to avoid because it is very fatty and very addictive - so cats who go on a fish/tuna diet often get malnutrition because they do not want to eat anything but the tuna. I'm not sure if this could be why your cat is picky, but I would try and mix the tuna/fish with other canned cat food so she gets the fish taste but also other nutritional sources besides fish.
what you said makes sense actually. Everytime i give her food she's like waiting for that piece of fish. I have started giving her the chicken parts side by side too.

nss008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has again started her tantrums. She doesnt eat anything except raw fish. [emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji] she had very little amount chicken liver n other organs but then seh kept roaming around and until i gave her fish she didnt eat anything [emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji] someone please help me out. I have no clue what to do now