Picking a Prefix

jasminecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have finally decided to apply for a prefix, but it's just so difficult!!
Am curious how other breeders chose their prefixes? It seems everything i think of is either taken or just too.....boring/weird!!

Any advice? It's for persians

kaiukats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It took me over a year to come up with my cattery name, and I just stumbled across it.

I babysit for a one year old and we were watching that childrens show Caillou. I loved the name, so put the sound into my cattery name: Kai-U.

It will come to you sooner or later. Be sure to pick a name that you LOVE. People are going to know you for it and your cats will carry the name.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I retired from breeding a few years ago, but when I chose a cattery prefix, I did it by picking a name symbolic to me at that time.

So..you can do that, you can consider how you will name your kittens (some folks plan to use flower/herbal names, or artists names or...you get the picture) and choose a prefix that will go nicely with your planned naming theme.

One of my favorite cattery names (and it was for a persian cattery) was "Theadorable"
Within the breed I worked with, American Curls, one of my favorite cattery names was that of the founder's of the breed, "Curlniques".

Another thing to keep in mind would be that choosing a lengthy prefix will affect just what kinds of names you can then choose for your kittens, you may wish to choose a short one (mine was only 5 letters long)

best wishes!

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We were actually trying to come up with a name and a friend of ours came up with sandicats... as my wifes name is sandie... well we modified it as we were from Southern CA, to Sand and then added kats with a K because it was unusual... hence Sandkats

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We were actually trying to come up with a name and a friend of ours came up with sandicats... as my wifes name is sandie... well we modified it as we were from Southern CA, to Sand and then added kats with a K because it was unusual... hence Sandkats

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmmm dont know how it double posted....

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took us months to come up with ours but we were happy with our final choice.. 'Captivating '- Cats have captivated our life and it sounds good with alot of names- If I bred bengals my prefix would be .. 'bespotted' I think that's super neat , or if we didn't get captivating, I think strawbearys would have been cool, as zots look like little bears and I love strawberries!

Choose carefully!