Picked Up An Injured Bird

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I saw an injured bird on the street (it is not a baby bird, has full feathers), it was raining all wet, poor thing.

My reaction was pick it up an take it home. I have it locked inside one of my cats transporters, with a cardboard box with newspaper strips (for warmth), some bread and water, in a room currently locked.

So my question is, am I putting my cats at risk? Is there any infection, disease, this bird can give them?

also any advice on the bird? (yes, I know this is not thebirdsite lol)

Thanks guys

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
As long as your cats aren’t in direct contact with the bird, I think it should be okay, but still wash your hands between handling the cats and the bird.

For the bird, I’d recommend going to a wildlife clinic. If you don’t have one in your area, you can call local vets to see if anyone has experience working with birds.

Thanks for caring!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will call vets tomorrow thanks! Also will let it stay warm tonight in the little box with newspaper and will open it outside tomorrow see if it flies, if not vet it is.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The most important thing is to offer warmth and water. It’s likely that it won’t eat because of fear, but that’s not necessarily and immediate concern. I think you should take it to a wildlife rehab center where they have the correct food and veterinary care for the specific species of bird. Another thing to consider is that depending on where you live, keeping a wild bird in your home could result in hefty fines.

There aren’t many diseases a bird can give to a cat, but parasites are a really big concern. Make sure to wear gloves and change clothes when handling the bird and keep you cats away from it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, bird parasites may be a problem for the cats, and possibly even for you. When everything done, clean off the cage thoroughly... And other things used or touched.

Depending on the bird, cat food may be useful. Its terrific food for the all eaters species.

As the other said, a wild life rehab is best, but if you cant get active help, you must do with what you have. This your room and your good heart. Usually it is what is needed.