Phosphorus Safe Limits Cat Wet Food

amandawalker21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been doing some research lately about how much phosphorus is too much for a healthy cat. I have ragdoll cats Roo is 3 and Tigger is 6. I’ve been feeding them Rawz for almost 2 years now. How much should I stay at for phosphorus per 100kcal? They have been loving Rawz rabbit but it is 400mg per 100kcal or 1.83% dry matter. Is that too high to be feed daily? I’m not sure if there is any link to too high phosphorus foods causing kidney disease over time? That’s my main concern, just long term wise for them as they get older. Thanks for the responses! I’m sorry if I sound paranoid, I just lost my orange tabby to pancreatitis at 3.5 years old. I just want the best for my other two kitties. I also have a ragdoll cat Violet that is 11, also healthy.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Max recommended phos limit is 2%, though I wouldn’t want to feed a senior cat with phos that high. Perfectly fine for kittens and younger adult cats, though. If you have concerns, you can rotate with lower phos foods of other brands, or make your own bone-free cooked food with a meal completer like EZComplete, which would be low phos.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not exactly sure that high phosphorus causes kidney disease but do know that a lower phosphorus level in food is good once a cat has been diagnosed with it due to the phosphorus making impaired kidneys work harder. Tanya's web site - Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org) - suggests getting as close to 0.5% phosphorus on a dry matter basis is ideal, but admittedly very difficult to attain with standard canned cat foods. This web site also has a listing of foods and their related phosphorus level on a dry matter basis - in case you would be interested in checking them out -Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Diet and Nutrition Overview (felinecrf.org). A lot of foods aren't included on the list, but so far, I have found most companies to be quite accommodating when I asked for them to provide the levels to me.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Max recommended phos limit is 2%, though I wouldn’t want to feed a senior cat with phos that high. Perfectly fine for kittens and younger adult cats, though. If you have concerns, you can rotate with lower phos foods of other brands, or make your own bone-free cooked food with a meal completer like EZComplete, which would be low phos.
Hi. I am not exactly sure that high phosphorus causes kidney disease but do know that a lower phosphorus level in food is good once a cat has been diagnosed with it due to the phosphorus making impaired kidneys work harder.
These two answers pretty much sum up what our (cats-only) vet said when I asked her a similar question after we adopted our cats. (They were 10 months old.) They're now almost exactly nine and I do watch their phosphorus but I don't go crazy limiting it since they eat wet foods with plenty of water, sometimes added.

Lots of Weruva foods are pretty low in phosphorus.

I, too, pay attention to this because our previous cat had kidney disease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandawalker21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So just to make I’m understanding all of this. So it’s ok if the phosphorus is under 2% dry matter basis? Do you think rabbit wet food is good to give them on a daily basis that has 1.83%? Mine get wet food three times a day with water added to it.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So just to make I’m understanding all of this. So it’s ok if the phosphorus is under 2% dry matter basis? Do you think rabbit wet food is good to give them on a daily basis that has 1.83%? Mine get wet food three times a day with water added to it.
Well... It probably wouldn't be a concern, though for me, that's a dry matter number that's high enough that I'd want to discuss it with the vet if I were only going to feed that on food. (Our cats are now about nine so I'd be concerned.) I've fed some food in that range, as part of a rotation of canned and commercial raw foods and not worried about it a bit. If I were feeding that for one meal a day and then foods with lower phosphorus for two or three other meals a day, I wouldn't worry about it.

That's just me: I suspect that some of us are more cautious than others on this!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
These two answers pretty much sum up what our (cats-only) vet said when I asked her a similar question after we adopted our cats. (They were 10 months old.) They're now almost exactly nine and I do watch their phosphorus but I don't go crazy limiting it since they eat wet foods with plenty of water, sometimes added.

Lots of Weruva foods are pretty low in phosphorus.

I, too, pay attention to this because our previous cat had kidney disease.
What other weruva foods do you buy besides steak frites?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What other weruva foods do you buy besides steak frites?
Brooksie, our previous cat, ate a lot of the Cats in the Kitchen cans, including Fowl Ball, which purees nicely, and Lamburgerini (spelling?!). She also loved to lick the gravy from some of the Cats in the Kitchen pouch foods. I used Weruva's charts, picking the lowest phosphorus first. They really worked well for her.

I don't buy any Weruva now that it seems that one of our cats seems to have a problem with gums :( but they liked BFF pates, Cats in the Kitchen pouches of shredded chicken with pumpkin, and some of the BFF pouches, too. They also liked a TruLux chicken/turkey shred food. And really loved the chicken-fish cans from Cats in the Kitchen that I used to feed as an occasional treat before Ireland was diagnosed with asthma. I've had to avoid the foods with potato starch for years and have tried to keep tapioca at low levels but Weruva has lots of decent foods so there was still plenty to choose from. Until, that is, the feeding trial for (barfing) Edwina, where there's zero tolerance for gums...

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat with ckd used to love tiki after dark but no more I am guessing it's because it has less scent than weruva. I will try cats in the kitchen again

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat with ckd used to love tiki after dark but no more I am guessing it's because it has less scent than weruva. I will try cats in the kitchen again
Yes, Cats in the Kitchen were the Weruva foods Brooksie especially liked. Those plus, of course, Steak Frites. Good luck!