Petting cat

lynxafc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey,

I was petting my stray cat in my garden (like I always do) I started hearing alittle growl, she was rubbing against me all the time but gave off a low growl. Is she telling me i like you but stop that!?

Another thing when i pet her she sticks her head right up like she wants it petted first (which I do) does this just mean she likes alot of attention to her head?

Thank you

Love you allz

Sarah xxxxx

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she wants you to stop she'll stop rubbing against you.

She sounds like a very friendly stray!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very possible that she was starting to get overstimulated and that's why she let out the little growl. It's pretty rare that cats give off such crystal clear warnings like that - usually it's just a swish of the tail or pupils dilating.
It's pretty common for ferals and strays to get overstimulated, meaning the petting makes their skin so sensitive that it can actually start to hurt them. When you hear her growling, just stop for a few seconds, let her get her bearings again, and then pet some more.

Of course, the other possibility is that she has a little injury and you were petting at that spot. If you notice her growling again, note where you were petting. Raise your hand just over the spot and see if you feel heat from that area. Heat means infection or injury, and she needs to see a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynxafc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: about 5 minutes ago I sitting outside waiting for my little stray kitty to run up the patio, sure enough bang on time I hear a noise, it's her climbing the fence. Then she jogs over to me, smells my hand and ........ runs away!? I didn't know what was going on. As i'm not allowed a cat in the house (only renting the house) seeing her everyday made me think she was kinda 'mine' as soon as she turned and ran away I got so sad and started crying (I know stupid, it isn't even my cat) .

Someone said 'the other possibility is that she has a little injury and you were petting at that spot.' sadly I didn't get to touch her this time. She just sniffed my hand and went
. If I had touched an injury would she smell me, think that I hurt her last time and just think that I'd do it again. So descided I was Evil

Please help me I feel I really lost something special here

Sarah

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she is ill, or has been injured, she won't want you to touch her. I would just leave her out some tasty canned and dry food and perhaps get some sort of shelter for her so she can climb in and be safe and sleep.

Don't expect so much from her, she doesn't know you, doesn't really trust you. If she has kittens tucked somewhere she will want to go to them so putting her in your home could endanger the kittens.

lynxafc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

so putting her in your home
she's never been in the house (that I know of) I'm not sure if she has kittens, I really don't know much about her. I found her in my garden afew weeks ago, I put some water outside and she drank loads of it and put alittle bit of chicken out and has been comming back ever since.

I'd Love to take her to the vet but I have no idea how to catch her and have no carrier for her to be put in

If she is ill, or has been injured, she won't want you to touch her. I would just leave her out some tasty canned and dry food and perhaps get some sort of shelter for her so she can climb in and be safe and sleep.
Thank you for this piece of information hissy I shall do this. I'll go out and buy some cat food (haven't done this since I moved out of my family house away her my mums cat)

Sarah xxxxx

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you feed her more will come. That's just what happens. If you can't follow through and at least catch her and get her spayed, then I suggest you don't even start feeding.

lynxafc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If you feed her more will come. That's just what happens. If you can't follow through and at least catch her and get her spayed, then I suggest you don't even start feeding.
I will not stop feeding her. First you say to leave her and now your saying catch her and get her spayed. Your just confusing me now hissy.

If I catch her i'll be doing what you told me not to which was taking her away from her 'kittens' maybe you should make yourself clearer.

Just because I said I don't know how to catch her doesn't mean I won't catch her. You should think about the other person before you write such hurtful replies.

Sarah

gargoyle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarah, you're taking Hissy's advice the wrong way. The question is - by leaving food out for this cat, other strays/ferals are likely to show up, so are you prepared to take care of all of them? Also, if you feed and but don't have her spayed, she'll be in good condition to breed and then you will have more cats to care for. It can be time-consuming and will cost you money that you may not have.

We can give you advice on trapping her to get her fixed. Do you have access to any humane traps? Does your vet or local humane society have one that you could borrow? Are you willing to pay for having this cat fixed? If you can't afford it, are there any local low-cost clinics that you can apply to?

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lynxafc

Hey,

I was petting my stray cat in my garden (like I always do) I started hearing alittle growl, she was rubbing against me all the time but gave off a low growl. Is she telling me i like you but stop that!?
The reason my strays and ferals growl when I'm petting them is they notice something, like another cat, they don't like starting to get to close. They are all really jealous and don't want to share the attention.