Petsmart

soupyhorses

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If there is interest I can create a video and post to my YouTube channel on cat bathing/nail trimming.  I just trimmed nails and gave bathes to all three of my cats yesterday. They get a bath about twice a month and nail trimmings every week.  

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

If there is interest I can create a video and post to my YouTube channel on cat bathing/nail trimming.  I just trimmed nails and gave bathes to all three of my cats yesterday. They get a bath about twice a month and nail trimmings every week.  
I think that would be greatly appreciated! Its always a battle to just trim a couple nails on my kitten, &I've tried the paw rubbing and treat combos and doing it while she sleeps :/ No luck.

brooklyn201219

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's actually very common for the dogs to freak out. Most of the times the pet parent is aware of it and they give us the go ahead. I dont think people realize how difficult it is to get the dogs to listen. We are allowed to have 2 people on one dog, to prevent the dog from biting one of the groomers. If the dog is still out of control we have the choice to send the dogs away. It is very common for the dogs to even start crying however that doesnt mean we are hurting them. It is by no means ever okay to hit the dog, to yell at the dog, or to choke the dog. No type of animal abuse is ever okay and anyone who hurts any pets, even a fish, is fired on the spot. However our managers are well aware that just because it sounds bad doesnt mean it really is bad. And thats not even only with petsmart grooming thats with any dog groomer.

soupyhorses

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I think that would be greatly appreciated! Its always a battle to just trim a couple nails on my kitten, &I've tried the paw rubbing and treat combos and doing it while she sleeps :/ No luck.
I will try to get to that in the next week or so! All three of my cats were adopted from shelters (two were semi-feral) and sometimes it also takes two people :)  We had to do that at the beginning and hold them down until they realized it was much easier to be still for 30 seconds then struggle for 10 minutes :)

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I will try to get to that in the next week or so! All three of my cats were adopted from shelters (two were semi-feral) and sometimes it also takes two people :)  We had to do that at the beginning and hold them down until they realized it was much easier to be still for 30 seconds then struggle for 10 minutes :)
Horray thanks :D My kitten still has yet to come to that realization =_= Luckily when she got spayed they also trimmed her nails 

soupyhorses

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Horray thanks :D My kitten still has yet to come to that realization =_= Luckily when she got spayed they also trimmed her nails 
Yes, my youngest used to bite me and do ninja moves when I trimmed his nails. I made it unpleasant for him though (when he bit) and was nice when he was nice.  He gradually got better.  One trick I did in the beginning is to sit on the floor with your legs straight out and put the cat on it's back in-between your legs.  I know it doesn't sound nice but if you squeeze a bit so they can't escape (but not harm them) then do the front paws first, then the back.  Now I can just sit with the cat in my lap with all four paws in the air and they for the most part don't mind. Sometimes I will get a ninja move but I just hold them tightly and they stop so I can finish.  The bathing was tough in the beginning as well, I had a lot of bloody scratches but now they just stand in the water.  

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

.... The bathing was tough in the beginning as well, I had a lot of bloody scratches but now they just stand in the water.  
this gives me hope for Charlie. but then again he just gets really stressed out. he has what i like to call post kitty bath stress disorder. he's stressed and vomits for upto 2-3 days after bath. I only bathe him once a month

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You will need to embed the video here. Links to YouTube are not allowed.

soupyhorses

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thank you!  Yes, they were very stressed at first, my male use to pee in the tub when he was getting bathed but he hasn't done it in months now.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Why do you give them a bath twice a month? Unless they get dirty (into the trashcan, etc), then they don't need baths. They groom themselves.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband provided entertainment like tummy rubs while I clipped. My kitty didn't like it, but didn't get too stressed, so it worked.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't mean to insult all Petsmart groomers, it's not every Petsmart that has bad groomers, Petco and other places have bad seeds too.