Petsmart

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think that I have given up on trimming my kitten's nails myself for now. The vet would do it, but she would charge me about $60. That seems like a crazy price to me. This is the same vet that wanted me to get him declawed. I was looking at the cat grooming prices at Petsmart online, and the price for trimming his nails is $12 or $16 for a bath/trim This seems like a reasonable price, but I am not sure how professional the groomers are or how sanitary the clippers would be if they are used on other cats. Has anyone taken their cat to Petsmart to be groomed, and if so, was the outcome good or bad?

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Based on what I have seen, thru the glass window, and stories I have heard over time, I would not, take any pet, to Petsmart to be groomed. I especially, would not, take a kitty there for a bath. 

I have seen, over time on here, someone will post a video, of how to clip your kitty's claws, maybe they will see this post, and put it up again. 

Mine are show kittens, I do everything myself, it takes time and a very lot of patience to teach them to have a bath, blow dry and get their nails clipped.  I would be glad to tell you how to teach them. You start with one nail, and one paw at a time, and work your way up, and you start them, when they are taking a nappy, so they are a little drowsey. Let me know if you want to know how to do it. It is a teaching and training process, and it doesn't happen over night. 

You could also look in your phone book under Groomers, and see if there is a cat groomer in your area. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am curious--what have you seen through the window at Petsmart and heard about? Is it that bad?

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call other vets to check their prices. Mine said they would charge $7 dollars to clip nails. If you wait until your kitten is asleep you might be able to clip them a lot easier. That's how I started when mine were young and they are easy to clip now.

Good luck

skeletor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally clip all three of my cats nails myself and they range in difficulty from protesting verbally to kicking and screaming to get away from the cuddles. What's been happening with your kitten?

I would like to second/third asking other vets in the area, and generally recommend changing from a vet who recommends declawing. Yucky process that is!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitten will let me handle and touch his feet if he thinks I am petting him. He seems to like it. He lets the other cat lick his feet too, which is weird. He will even let me extend his claws, but if I try to extend them for more than a few seconds, he will squirm and try to get away. I am afraid that I will lose my grip and cut the quick. Handling his feet while he is sleeping always wakes him up. He doesn't scream like your cats. He is just very good at getting away
quickly.

skeletor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes clipping nails works best as a two people job. Is there someone who can scruff him while you do his nails? This will instinctively tell him to knock it off and sit still. You only have to move as fast as you're comfortable and feel safe doing. With my toughest cat we sometimes only get one paw at a time done before I can't keep him down anymore (13 pounds of bucking fluffball). You also only need to cut the very tip.

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Scruffing is a disaplinary tool, and should never, be used, for training and teaching. You cannot disaplin a kitten, for doing something wrong, when he has no idea, what he did wrong, and actually, he is not doing something wrong, he has not yet learned, to have his claws clipped. 

All you have taught him, is he must submit, out of fear and force.

Its like slapping your little hand, because you did not tie your shoes correctly. You get your little hand slapped, for shooting spitballs at the teacher. 

Start him, by putting him on his back, in your lap, and feeling each paw, and extending the claw, do not let go of him, even if he gets real squirmmy. If he gets up, put him back, on his back.  When he lays there quietly, and lets you feel each paw, and extend each claw, even for a few seconds, then let him go, give him a treatie. That is positive teaching. Letting mommy feel your paws and claws, gets you a reward.

Over time, he will let you extend his claws longer and longer.

Even if you only get one claw done, with him laying there quietly, let him go, and give him a treatie.

This takes time and alot alot of patience.

One of my boys is now 17 lbs. He doesn't struggle, because as a little kitten, he couldn't get away, so now he thinks, he can't, and getting his claws done, earns him a treatie, so its a positive experience for him.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I would call other vets to check their prices. Mine said they would charge $7 dollars to clip nails. If you wait until your kitten is asleep you might be able to clip them a lot easier. That's how I started when mine were young and they are easy to clip now.

Good luck
I do the same for my cats. Get em while they're asleep! Sometimes my kitties will wake up...at which point my boyfriend needs to step in and hold them while I clip their nails. 

I don't think ANY cat likes getting their nails clipped. But it is possible to do at home. You shouldn't have to pay, especially $60.00 for the vet to clip them for you. That's ridiculous. It might help to buy some decent claw clippers. Something that's comfortable for you to use and hold..it will make the whole process faster, and less stressful for you at least.

Giving my kitties a bath is a different story however. Its like the war from the movie 300 every time one of my kitties get a bath. Being that getting a bath in general is a stressful situation for my cats, I don't think I would feel comfortable having someone else do the job....especially because one of my cats will throw up right after a bath and then continuously for the next 2 days =/ 

I wish you good luck in finding someone. And don't give up. Clipping claws can be tricky, but its possible. If there are two people to do it, its much easier IMO

skeletor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do all the same touching of feet and rewarding but I don't use scruffing for discipline. My big boy doesn't like physical contact, he's a "I'm cuddling you, you just can't feel it" from three feet away type of cat but he looks oh so lovingly in your direction. My tabby fusses when she gets clipped but doesn't try to get away, my big boy keeps his feet on the ground but will kick and squirm because it's physical contact.

My kitten is the one I scruff, but what I do is I lay him on his back on my lap and hold his scruff from underneath. He falls asleep like that, once you get him to settle down and stop being a restless kitten.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to admit I have scruffed Lilly in the pas but only when she has been somewhere to high for me to get her any other way and shes not supposed to be its always followed by a small tap on the nose with m index and middle fingers and a sharp No but I second just lying him down and playing with his paws build it up slowly maybe with a lil kitty massage for his paw pads working up to extending the claws?

nevroth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The others have given good advice and I would definitely look into other vets while aiming to do this yourself. I use silicone kitty nail caps (sold at pet stores but I buy mine in bulk through ebay, MUCH cheaper though it takes a while to get them. At first the Momo-licious HATED getting his nails trimmed. What I did was,

- Being sure to pet his feet while doing cuddle sessions. I let him pull away if he wanted to through all of these steps. In the beginning I did 1 or 2 nails a day.

- Giving him a treat, touch his paws, give another treat (once or twice a day)

- Give a treat, clip ONE nail, give a treat

- Clip several nails, give a treat

- Clip front paws, give a treat

At this point Momo begrudgingly accepted me clipping his nails. I could even clip them without treat giving. To put on the nail caps, I was able to do 1 - 3 before giving a treat. The first time is the toughest, since you have 10 nails in front (I don't put them on his hind paws), but afterwards, maintenance is maybe 1 or 2 at a time as they fall off. Momo doesn't like the caps, but he'll put up with me as long as he gets a treat, lol!

I think nail caps are a godsend. And don't forget all the fun colors you can choose from!! ;)

Goodluck!!

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

The others have given good advice and I would definitely look into other vets while aiming to do this yourself. I use silicone kitty nail caps (sold at pet stores but I buy mine in bulk through ebay, MUCH cheaper though it takes a while to get them. At first the Momo-licious HATED getting his nails trimmed. What I did was,

- Being sure to pet his feet while doing cuddle sessions. I let him pull away if he wanted to through all of these steps. In the beginning I did 1 or 2 nails a day.

- Giving him a treat, touch his paws, give another treat (once or twice a day)

- Give a treat, clip ONE nail, give a treat

- Clip several nails, give a treat

- Clip front paws, give a treat

At this point Momo begrudgingly accepted me clipping his nails. I could even clip them without treat giving. To put on the nail caps, I was able to do 1 - 3 before giving a treat. The first time is the toughest, since you have 10 nails in front (I don't put them on his hind paws), but afterwards, maintenance is maybe 1 or 2 at a time as they fall off. Momo doesn't like the caps, but he'll put up with me as long as he gets a treat, lol!

I think nail caps are a godsend. And don't forget all the fun colors you can choose from!! ;)

Goodluck!!
I've always wondered about those nail caps and am curious. These are probably stupid questions, but the cat can't retract his claws with those caps on, can he? If he can't retract his claws doesn't that make them walk oddly and, therefore, isn't it uncomfortable for them? Also, why doesn't the cat just pull the caps off? Or are they glued on or something? 

nevroth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I've always wondered about those nail caps and am curious. These are probably stupid questions, but the cat can't retract his claws with those caps on, can he? If he can't retract his claws doesn't that make them walk oddly and, therefore, isn't it uncomfortable for them? Also, why doesn't the cat just pull the caps off? Or are they glued on or something? 
Not stupid at all! Cat's nails don't really retract all the way into their paw - the cap sits over the nail and does peek out a bit when the cat is at rest, but at least in my case, Momo is completely comfortable with them. It doesn't affect his walking or running. It does affect grip, though. When Momo scratches the carpet he's probably not getting the most satisfaction - but he still does it none the less. I would imagine if he was falling from something (like the bed) he couldn't claw his way back up. If he was somehow left to fend for himself outside, he wouldn't be able to protect himself efficiently - at least until the caps fell off. Thankfully Momo is indoor only. I think the benefits are great for owners and outweigh the negatives though - even trimmed cat's nails can do decent damage.

Momo does occasionally chew a cap off. Especially when he's grooming his paws, I can see him try to pull one or two off - he's not always successful ;) They are indeed glued on, and come off with the natural nail. The glue smells like superglue, and you have to be careful not to overfill the cap so that it doesn't spill onto kitty fur/skin. Most of the time I find them on the floor with the old nail. Many times I find them and the tips have been rubbed off (due to scratching at the door or other things). I don't think Momo has ever swallowed one, but they are soft and said to just pass through the digestive system.

Momo has never liked those cardboard scratchers. He didn't like standup carpet thingys either. He only liked my dinning table chairs and the carpet. Even when I clipped the nails, I could see the damage done when I'd get home from work. Nail caps work for us. I just ordered some for Momo and new kitten Meph (who already scratched Mo's nose, the little bugger!!) Just over 11$ for 200 ;D

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Not stupid at all! Cat's nails don't really retract all the way into their paw - the cap sits over the nail and does peek out a bit when the cat is at rest, but at least in my case, Momo is completely comfortable with them. It doesn't affect his walking or running. It does affect grip, though. When Momo scratches the carpet he's probably not getting the most satisfaction - but he still does it none the less. I would imagine if he was falling from something (like the bed) he couldn't claw his way back up. If he was somehow left to fend for himself outside, he wouldn't be able to protect himself efficiently - at least until the caps fell off. Thankfully Momo is indoor only. I think the benefits are great for owners and outweigh the negatives though - even trimmed cat's nails can do decent damage.

Momo does occasionally chew a cap off. Especially when he's grooming his paws, I can see him try to pull one or two off - he's not always successful ;) They are indeed glued on, and come off with the natural nail. The glue smells like superglue, and you have to be careful not to overfill the cap so that it doesn't spill onto kitty fur/skin. Most of the time I find them on the floor with the old nail. Many times I find them and the tips have been rubbed off (due to scratching at the door or other things). I don't think Momo has ever swallowed one, but they are soft and said to just pass through the digestive system.

Momo has never liked those cardboard scratchers. He didn't like standup carpet thingys either. He only liked my dinning table chairs and the carpet. Even when I clipped the nails, I could see the damage done when I'd get home from work. Nail caps work for us. I just ordered some for Momo and new kitten Meph (who already scratched Mo's nose, the little bugger!!) Just over 11$ for 200 ;D
Thanks for the info. I've never used them and was always reluctant to recommend them out of concern for the cat's comfort. That makes me feel a lot better. Sounds as though the caps are a good solution when there is a scratching problem. They are sure cheap enough, certainly cheaper than new furniture or even a cardboard scratcher. 

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard bad things about groomers at Petsmart. This doesn't apply to every store, but I've read horror stories about pets getting nicked with scissors and clippers and cutting the quick and bleeding nails.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I've heard bad things about groomers at Petsmart. This doesn't apply to every store, but I've read horror stories about pets getting nicked with scissors and clippers and cutting the quick and bleeding nails.
this is why..i'd just rather bathe and clip my kitties myself. and i feel like they get more love. every paw i clip my kitties get a treat. after every bath, they get omega cuddles and love and pets. 

brooklyn201219

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am a groomer at petsmart. We are very strict with being clean and after each pet we have to disinfect any type of clippers, brushes, and nail clippers we use. The tables get sprayed and let sit for 10min with cleaner (pet safe) after each animal. If any animal comes to us that looks sickly we turn them away and ask them to see a vet before we can do anything to prevent spread of illness. Cats also get stressed out easier than dogs so it's best to take them in during the week when we are not so busy. We also monitor cats very very closely because cats are good at hiding their stress.

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never seen anything bad at the groomers at PetSmart. On the contrary yesterday I saw a dog freaking out really bad and the guy told the girl to stop and he gave the dog a treat, held him and soothed him with his voice. Last week I witnessed a similar event at a different location and that time with a cat.