Pet Sitter Lied & Will Not Return Keys!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like the owner of the pet sitting business is doing everything in her power to correct a bad situation. She was probably lied to, same as you. Before I wrote a bad review, I would find out if the person that 'took care' of your cats is still employed. If not, I would take that into consideration before posting anything.
Sometimes people hire bad employees.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
We thought about calling the police, but not sure they can do anything since we willingly gave her the keys.
It does not matter if you willingly gave someone your keys. If you willingly gave the cat sitter your credit card information and she used it for something else, cops sure would not say it was your fault.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like the owner of the pet sitting business is doing everything in her power to correct a bad situation. She was probably lied to, same as you. Before I wrote a bad review, I would find out if the person that 'took care' of your cats is still employed. If not, I would take that into consideration before posting anything.
Sometimes people hire bad employees.
You can write a bad review anyway even if the pet sitter is fired because the owner, whether lied to or not, is obviously not worth it for other pet-loving travelers.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with kashmir64 kashmir64 . Might just have been one bad employee. But if I was the employer, I probably would give her one more chance before firing her.

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would definitely make a statement to the police about the case. Do send an email to the owner of the sitter office, it is better to have all replies written. Of course change the locks but do pursue. I think if a police officer visited their office they would not just defend the sitter they would do something about your case, in the least they would reimburse your change of locks.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not me. She broke a law while doing her job, then lied about it. That is enough for a person to be fired ASAP.
I'd write her up and give her a formal warning and put it in her employee file. Go over her job duties with her again and stress the importance of her job. I wonder if she's young and immature.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I doubt a pet sitting business would hire a teenage girl. They are professional sitters. Otherwise she would be just any young lady on the street who loves animals.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The words, "You will return my keys by 5:00 p.m. tomorrow or I will be calling the police at 5:01 p.m.," should do the trick.

Those keys are your PROPERTY which you LOANED to the other person in order to perform a task which you PAID her to do. That person didn't do the task that she was paid to do, nor did she return your property.

She is in breach of contract and she is in possession of property which isn't hers.

If she lied about arriving at your house at the proper time it is safe to assume that she is also lying about returning your keys.

Simply put... Her a$$ is grass and YOU'RE going to be the lawn mower!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If something like this happens again, just buy new lock sets and install them yourself. It's very easy, especially since you have had lock sets there previously, everything should fit. They come in packs all keyed alike, or maybe even get a few that aren't keyed the same. Then it would be cheaper to change the next time. Hundreds of dollars to re-key is ridiculous, you can buy new ones for less.

Beans<3r

Troublemaker
Young Cat
Purraise
omg this is terrible! I am leaving the country for 2 weeks and needed a place to keep Beans.... I booked him at the Morristown Animal Inn? As anyone used them before? I thought about getting a pet sitter but I am concerned of this exact situation. Sorry you had to go thru that LUNA!