Pet Regulations - Curious

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

This is typical. A ban is put into place just because some nosey neighbors can not mind their own business and complain.
Hmmmm, I bet they used the "but what about my kids" excuse too. My answer to that one is this. I have no kids, yet I pay out the butt in taxes so that YOUR kids can go to school. When I don't have to pay school tax, since I have no kids, then you can tell me that you don't like my animals. No wonder I want to live on an island with no other humans
I agree...all but with the island part; that could get scary.
When I read back over my post last night to check for spelling errors, it looked like everything in my county had to do with keeping the neighbors happy. I knew the man (RIP) who had the liger. Though I never met the liger, I was told he went to a good home in an undisclosed location somewhere in SC.

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Amber,

Your cats are sooooooooooooo beeeeeeeeeeeeeeauuuuuuuuuuuuutiful!!

Warmly,

Julie O'

I only talked about the HSUS earlier because came out to our kill shelter from many of our volunteers' complaints and forced the management to get it cleaned up, use certain products that were safer for the animals, stopped using prisoners to wash the floors (they were flooding out the dog kennels and getting the lower cat cages all wet) and they were playing rough with the cats while they were supposed to be changing the blankies and clean as many as possible before they went back to jail (which was just down the street). So I guess just like all of us, they have a good side and a bad side.

I do, again, loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove your big kitty cats!

Warmly,

Julie O'
(I had forgotten about this thread, no one has written in so long!)

This is typical. A ban is put into place just because some nosey neighbors can not mind their own business and complain.
Hmmmm, I bet they used the "but what about my kids" excuse too. My answer to that one is this. I have no kids, yet I pay out the butt in taxes so that YOUR kids can go to school. When I don't have to pay school tax, since I have no kids, then you can tell me that you don't like my animals. No wonder I want to live on an island with no other humans

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Primates were banned as pets in Illinois recently. Supposedly because of that chimp out east who tore off the face of a woman. Seems like an over reaction based on one extreme case of a dangerous animal that shouldn't have been a pet.

My town government has talked about banning pit bulls, numerous times, after numerous incidents in town and nearby. But the supporters who say it is the upbringing not the breed have won out. There is a new "dangerous dog" ordinance that gives heavy fines and even requires muzzles, but only after a dog has done harm to someone. Unfortunately, dog fighting rings are occasionally uncovered in my town. I mean it is good that they are discovered, and the penalties are severe, but it is unfortunate that fighting dogs is popular here. I am reluctant to walk around a lot in my neighborhood because of the possibility of meeting aggressive dogs. Just ask the mailman about this. Even though dogs aren't supposed to be loose at all.

My town has a limit of 3 dogs. But no limit on cats. All cats and dogs have to have rabies shots and pay $10 a year to the county animal control after submitting proof of this vaccination. This is an area of the country with a lot of rabies, mostly in bats. My town doesn't allow farm animals. I don't know what the rules are for "exotics" as I don't expect to ever have any. I think rabbits, within reason, are okay. A town just north allows homeowners with certain size lots to have a couple of chickens, with yearly permits (fees). This is a new thing brought about by the current economy.

The town just south of mine recently passed a limit of 4 dogs or cats, any combination, just only four. They "grandfathered" in current pet owners for the life of these pets. I know someone, who has worked at the local shelter for 25 years, who has 12 such pets. She also fosters kittens and sometimes dogs. I don't know what happens regarding that. This new law was brought about because of one hoarder. This also seems like an overreaction to me. That town government has said that this ordinance would be enforced because of complaints - they aren't going to go looking for offenders.

Robin

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Neighbors do have rights, but unless it can be demonstrated that whatever their neighbor is doing is giving them reasonable cause for direct grief that interferes with their daily lives (excessive noise/odor) or safety or is a serious ethical violation, its really none of their business... they can have opinions, but its just that, an opinion.

With regard to the Liger for example, a neighbor has reasonable cause for alarm if it could not be demonstrated that such a large predator was not reasonably secured for their own personal safety, and that the animal was not kept in seriously unethical conditions. I have often seen and read about pet tigers and lions kept in ludicrously small cages, and its just not humane.

For cats, again, there can be cases of severe neglect and abuse from just a single cat in the home, whereas another home with fifteen cats may have a wonderful environment created for them with plenty of attention and care. So outside of animal cruelty, its just not anyone else's business IMO.

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anything "Grandfathered" will stay with the old rules (but doesn't include any new additions (at least from my experience in law with grandfathering land, etc.)

Fosters, in our California County, anyways, aren't considered "pets" and as long as they are well cared for in every way, vet, food, water, shelter (is all the HSUS requires), but I also include lovins' and play time and precious moments, then they're fine. Not sure how it is in other States or Counties.

Warmly,

Julie O'

"They "grandfathered" in current pet owners for the life of these pets. I know someone, who has worked at the local shelter for 25 years, who has 12 such pets. She also fosters kittens and sometimes dogs. I don't know what happens regarding that. "

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

Primates were banned as pets in Illinois recently. Supposedly because of that chimp out east who tore off the face of a woman. Seems like an over reaction based on one extreme case of a dangerous animal that shouldn't have been a pet.
You are 100% correct when stating that it is/was an over reaction to that chimp incident. But not correct when stating the chimp should not have been owned as a pet. If you can do so responsibly, there is nothing wrong with owning exotic animals and I fully support private ownership. I will never support any ban on ownership, but do support regulations that promote responsible ownership. Being a responsible exotic owner, means providing the best possible care for the animal as well as protecting the public (with regards to large exotics) and protecting the animal from the public. I also support laws that protect the exotic animal owner from the extremist, radical, animal rights groups who have and continbue to do so, cause problems for exotic owners. This includes setting animals free and damaging enclosures as to encourgae an escape.
Neighbors do have rights, but unless it can be demonstrated that whatever their neighbor is doing is giving them reasonable cause for direct grief that interferes with their daily lives (excessive noise/odor) or safety or is a serious ethical violation, its really none of their business... they can have opinions, but its just that, an opinion.

With regard to the Liger for example, a neighbor has reasonable cause for alarm if it could not be demonstrated that such a large predator was not reasonably secured for their own personal safety, and that the animal was not kept in seriously unethical conditions. I have often seen and read about pet tigers and lions kept in ludicrously small cages, and its just not humane.
Yes, neighbors do have rights, but as an exotic owner I too have the same rights. However, my right to own and keep the animals that I do, does come with a great amount of responsibilty and those who know me here, know that I have always stated that you should not own an exotic/wild animal if you can not do so responsibly. This holds true for ANY animal, not just exotics. I for one, am sick of my neighbors who think it is ok for them to let their dogs run free at will, but think that I should not own the animals that I own. This is wrong...period.
Yes, I too have seen those same stories of big cats being kept in small cages. But this is not the norm for responsible owners. This is just the AR/media tool to get private ownership banned, showing bad irresponsible owners. Many domestic animals live in far worse conditions too. But those owners are not the responsible ones and shed a negative light on the good responsible owners (like myself).