Pet Regulations - Curious

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as I know, there are no laws here regarding the amount of animals I can have. Plus, the local SPCA shelter knows how many I have of my own AND I foster for them.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DemstarAus

Hey I just found a copy of the 'Animal Care & Protection Act 2001 - Reprinted as in force on 1 December 2009' for my state...

If anyone wants to rake through it or you're curious: http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...malCaPrA01.pdf
So, you have a cat that has kittens, you can't find them homes, you don't want to surrender them to a shelter that would likely kill them, so what happens next?

I'm not sure the news has reached Australia (it IS a long boat ride!), but we had a little dust-up with a little island nation over by France over that sort of thing.
Americans take very poorly to that "control every aspect of your life" sort of attitude. Sometimes to our detriment, of course, but often to the benefit of our freedoms.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it depends on the city, town, township or whatever local government. Where I live (Chicago) there is no pet limit, but Chicago is surrounded by suburbs and each suburb can have a different law so some suburbs do have limits, some don't; and each one that does might have a different rule on how many you can own. Some limits are as few as 2-3 total pets, some just limit the number of dogs or have a higher limit.
However most places don't require licensing for cats, only dogs. Plus many people don't even register/license their dogs anyway, so they often never know how many animals people have even in places where there is a limit.

Originally Posted by mrblanche

So, you have a cat that has kittens, you can't find them homes, you don't want to surrender them to a shelter that would likely kill them, so what happens next?
Yeah something like that happened to me... Luckily there is no limit law here! I rescued a litter of 7 feral kittens. We already had 3 cats, so that was 10 (I also had 2 dogs, and some small pets.) The first kitten found a home at 12 weeks old, but after that I could not find homes for any of them until they were about 6 months old... I found homes for 2 more but ended up with 4 left from the litter. My vet originally had put all their records in 1 file since I had not planned to keep them and it was easier to keep track of the litter's vaccinations that way, and when I still had them after a few months (but was still trying to find homes) she asked me if I wanted to keep the records like that instead of making a new profile/file for each of them, because of the limit/town possibly having a problem with it. She lives in the suburbs so she was thinking about a limit, but there isn't any in the city.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the USA, it depends on the state that you live in, as well as city and county. I am not aware of any states that set pet limits, that is usually left up to the city or local government. Many states do however, set rules for the types of pets you can own, such as exotics. Some have total bans and others very little rules (they way it should be, other than sound fair regulations that support responsible ownership). My state had very little regulations regarding exotics, that is until now. We are fighting to get this law repealed however. We have worked hard to get certain breeds of dogs off the vicious animal list and have won!!
Now we will get this ban on exotics repealed as well. Animal owners in Ohio are strong and do not stand by and watch our rights to animal ownership be taken away.

luckybabycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last I heard here cats were considered wild animals and AC would not come. Had a accross the hall neighbor call & tell us our black cat was hunched up in front of our (inside hallway) condo door. Our cat was at home! I was at work. Hubby called AC, gave our address & told them about cat. They would not come because it was a cat. Couldn't open door for fear of lettilng it in & having major confrontation with our cat.He called me at work. I came home, in front hall, & peered down hallway & it was not a cat, but a black PUPPY. I went in back patio door, and I called AC gave them our address & told them about puppy. They came in short order. AC officer had more than a few questions re where it came from, how it got in our hallway, etc & I felt as tho she thot we were trying to abandon it. The cat, tho, they had not cared a whit about!

purplepei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are no limits in New South Wales
We can also have rabbits and ferrets as well. I think QLD is the only state that doesn't allow you to, which I don't think makes a lot of sense and I think kinda defeats the purpose, but there ya go.

I could be wrong, but I think you need a licence to keep birds here as well as reptiles?

milanos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I'm not sure the news has reached Australia (it IS a long boat ride!), but we had a little dust-up with a little island nation over by France over that sort of thing.
Americans take very poorly to that "control every aspect of your life" sort of attitude. Sometimes to our detriment, of course, but often to the benefit of our freedoms.
Oi matey, slow down
. I'm on that little island over by France, and we don't have legislation like that. You can have as many dogs and cats as you like, providing your landlord agrees, and by law you have to care for your animals species appropriate (this also includes enough living space for the animals, so this automatically narrows down how many animals you can keep), but that's all. (The only exception to this is covered by the Dangerous Dogs Act. You are not allowed to own or breed those)

Exotics are a different matter all together though, but that is understandable, it may also be a case of how you define exotics. If for instance you would want to keep a Serval, you would have to get a licence from your council, you would be vetted, and it would be checked out if you have the species appropriate facilities to keep a wild cat. All this falls under the DWA (Dangerous Wild Animals Act of 1976). Other animals may require a licence because they are neither native, nor really suitable for being held in captivity, or rare. That falls, iirc under section 10 of CITES ( The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species).

Other than that, there are people here keeping skunks, racoons, hedgehogs, lizards, tarantulas, snakes and I don't know what else

I hope I don't go against forum policy here, but this is a nice short linky from our police on the matter of keeping big(ish) cats, and other animals not considered your "normal" pets (Mods, if link not allowed, please remove):

http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/...?articleid=467

Milanos x

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here in my County (San Luis Obispo, CA) the limit is 3. If you have more than 3, then you need to pay $26.00 per Year and expect 1 to 2 surprise inspections by Animal Services and then you receive your certificate signed by the main person at Animal Services.

I live in a 2-bedroom apartment that's not so huge, but there is so much light, so many perches and the cats have their own playroom and there are tunnels and toys everywhere, hiding places, etc. and I clean my 5 super-jumbo litter boxes 2x/day, whenever they've come over, and I told them I have 10, they ask "Did someone tell you I was coming over?" or " Where are the litter boxes, I don't smell anything". hee

It's worth it to pay for the permit. However, if you live in an unincorporated area (we have a town here that has not yet been incorporated), there is no limit. Although if someone complains about a hoarder, abuser, neglector, etc., Animal Services will come out.

Unfortunately, we have a lot of rooster fighting here. I hate that. (Mostly in the unincorporated town).

I live in a tourist/university area where you have the vast Pacific Ocean, about 7-10 miles of housing/apartments, and then you are in the country. It's really beautiful. (But not as beautiful as my cats!!) hee

Here a person can get a commercial permit for livestock. I know Savannah's aren't allowed in these here parts, or F1 Servils, I think up to F3.

I am not certain about the rest.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think we have a limit here. (Nova Scotia). Not that I'd want anymore than a few pets at a time. Had 70 rabbits as a kid, that was enough! lol.
I wish people would step up though and actually pay attention to who owns pets and how many. Maybe we wouldn't have so many backyard breeders selling sick puppies

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are all kill shelter rescues, 6 with special needs. I have 10 total. Animal Services regulates the amount you can have. I am at home all day and have so much attention to my cats and love having this time with them.

None of my guys/gals are breeder cats (except one I got at the kill shelter which was promptly fixed) - was used as a breeder cat before. All are spayed an neutered.

It's your local Animal Services that has the information you are speaking of. I would never buy from a store, always the kill shelter (except my first guy, from a no-kill shelter 13 years ago.

It is the peoples' responsibility, I believe to contact Animal Services if they see true hoarding going on and once the responsibility is handed over to Animal Services, it is their responsibility to check things out, which here in my town, they do. Dog fighting rings, Rooster-Fighting, hoarders (a lady with 150 animals, mostly dogs who still swears she's not a hoarder and call in all the time on the radio station (as a different name each time) talking down Animal Services. (I saw the pictures, OMG!)

But if people can take care of a larger amount of animals, give all the animals all their needs (and more) according to the HSUS and have regular inspections by Animal Services (like I do to have my permit), I see absolutely no problem with having multiple animals to the extent you can care for them properly in every way, including vet care.

Warmly,

Julie O'
(If you don't stand up, who will?) I've called Animal Services multiple times on summer days when dogs are left in cars while people are shopping. Even if there's a small crack, I call because it's about 20 degrees hotter in the car. Every single thing I can do to advocate the well being of animals. Arrrrrgh! Just thinking about it!

Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

I don't think we have a limit here. (Nova Scotia). Not that I'd want anymore than a few pets at a time. Had 70 rabbits as a kid, that was enough! lol.
I wish people would step up though and actually pay attention to who owns pets and how many. Maybe we wouldn't have so many backyard breeders selling sick puppies

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a rural area outside of a bigger city (where we have to do most of our shopping), and I don't think there are regulations or pet limits out here. There might be in the city, but there isn't even a leash law in my area.
Rabbits, ferrets, hedgehogs, etc. are all allowed. I miss my bunny.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naps With Cats

But if people can take care of a larger amount of animals, give all the animals all their needs (and more) according to the HSUS
Lets leave HSUS out of it. They do NOTHING to help animals and want to eliminate pet ownership. In FACT, I am at great risk of losing my exotics because of HSUS. Do NOT support this organization. Ok, I am done now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

demstaraus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I know that this shelter doesn't euthanise, but not all have that policy. I rarely hear of inspectors in my area. It's not really very enforced. There are a couple of TV shows and that's the most I know of home visits, in the cities when neighbours complain. You could easily keep more than 2 cats, just make friends with your neighbours and you'd be ok I guess. I still won't let my cats out in this area because A LOT of animals go missing, I see several notices a week at the shops for lost cats & dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

demstaraus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

We have laws here in our city for dogs but not for cats.

My Aunty breeds rabbits in Sydney, Australia!
I said it's illegal in many part of Australia, not all of it. It is definitely illegal here in QLD.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IN the Netherlands there is law that states a maximum number of pets, the law just says you can have as many pets as you want as long as they are well cared for and the number of animals does not cause any problems in the neighbourhood.

In practice there have been cases where neighbours have gone to court and most judges ruled 10 cats is a reasonable maximum.

Our animal welfare laws are not restricting the ownership of most exotic animals (other than CITES species of course). Recently some species of squirrels have been banned for fears they might become invasive, but that's it.
A new animal welfare law has been in the works for years and that will probably become more restrictive.

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

" . . . Americans take very poorly to that "control every aspect of your life" sort of attitude. Sometimes to our detriment, of course, but often to the benefit of our freedoms.
Huh? Are you speaking of North Americans? And what does this statement mean exactly? It sounds very generalized. Clarification please?

Warmly,

Julie O'

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my area, I don't think there is a specific limit as to the number of dogs and cats a person can keep. However, some people not too far away started a pet rescue, their neighbors complained about barking dogs, and I think they were forced to shut the operation down. In my specific neighborhood, we are not supposed to have any type of farm animals.

Exotic animals are banned in our county, though I don't know what all they consider exotic. My friend had a hybrid wolf and she told the vet he was a regular dog in order to obtain his shots, etc. and not get in hot water with the county. The whole exotic animal thing here came about because a man owned a lion-tiger mix (liger) and his neighbors complained. However, a local woman with a pet monkey was featured in the newspaper recently. I know my answer is kind of all over the place, but the laws in my county regarding animal regulations are quite confusing.
It's a good thing the question was not about property taxes; the story there is even more unclear.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naps With Cats

Huh? Are you speaking of North Americans? And what does this statement mean exactly? It sounds very generalized. Clarification please?

Warmly,

Julie O'
As a German-American having lived in the US/Eu/Singapore, I can perhaps chime in (cut me off if I'm interpreting wrong).

Usually when people say "America", they mean the United States of America... just kinda long saying the full name.

The US constitution and culture is based more on independence and self-reliance, with more opposition to nanny-state governments that micromanage citizens lives... which goes all the way back to the founding of the country.

The UK has government surveillance all over the country, banned toy guns and kitchen knives, and rules and regulations for just about every little thing in my experience. My aussie buddy can't even get half my favorite video games as they are banned in Australia (the new Mortal Kombat for example... boo). In Texas by contrast, even just red-light cameras are now illegal due to overwhelming public opposition to them as a privacy concern amongst other things, and those only take a still picture if you run a light. Citizens are very protective of their right to self defense and generally are disagreeable to excessive government management of their daily lives, as evidenced by the Tea Party movement against big government for example. For better or for worse, the US compared to Britain and other former colonies is more libertarian.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

The whole exotic animal thing here came about because a man owned a lion-tiger mix (liger) and his neighbors complained.
This is typical. A ban is put into place just because some nosey neighbors can not mind their own business and complain.
Hmmmm, I bet they used the "but what about my kids" excuse too. My answer to that one is this. I have no kids, yet I pay out the butt in taxes so that YOUR kids can go to school. When I don't have to pay school tax, since I have no kids, then you can tell me that you don't like my animals. No wonder I want to live on an island with no other humans