Pet Peeves

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is interesting, I find one possible way of how one could put him/herself to bed, it is if one considers being a mind and he/she puts the body to bed.

However that brings up interesting question, are we just minds imprisoned in our bodies or are we mind and the body, which of course leads to question where our souls reside and there really is no answer for that, just more or less random guesses.

So there might not be possible truth in this, but several open ended possibilities.

Either way, I find such though patterns interesting/fascinating.

My peevees, When others try to force what opinion/choices one has to have and when others think they know better what I'm thinking, I'm not limited to one opinion or viewpoint, whatever opinion I state is only one of many.
Something like this might be a simplified example, Cat likes tuna, so cat will not be able to think beef because cat likes tuna. As anyone knows that can't be true, put tuna and beef next to each other and cat will analyze and sample both.

So some think that if I say I don't like pink, that I must hate pink, no that is not what I said, I say I don't like pink, certainly I don't hate it and for certain there are places and situations where pink is appropriate color, I like pink in such, so what is this crazy idea some people get that there is only black and white?

This includes even some 'news' media puts out, where they write article from very defined point of view which is aimed to shape public opinion. Very much ignoring the neutral point of view and letting reader to choose his/her take on the matter.

Another peevee being Following of tradition in sake of tradition, how some fear to step out from rails as we always have been on rails and refusing to accept wider/more creative view to world.

Of course I know there are differently thinking people, for some world is organized maze with walls that keep it together, but problem is I'm kind of person that finds solutions that are out of the box, for example mazes in children's books I started from center working towards outer edge, real life maze on one theme park I solved by climbing on the wall. For some such is the horror, that one is not following the defined path, for me it is the horror one does not seek most optimal solution and gets limited by walls, so I do understand this is more of my own issue than it is peevee caused by others, yet still it is one of my peevees and one of the burden which comes with creative mind.

Mostly I see peevees as a room to improve self and grow as a person, I'm in a way disappointed to myself when I find something becoming my peevee and I do try to overcome it by trying to see multiple angles to matter, but some do stick.
I was answering a grammar question that @oldgloryrags88 had asked. Your comment is interesting but it's about thinking and opinions which should be in the IMO thread. I wasn't  trying to force an opinion on anyone. This is about English grammar.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Just a reminder to everyone, we expect members to play nice with each other here on TCS. No name-calling, no getting personal, etc, even if it's inferred and not direct. If you would like to debate what is or not proper grammar in a civil manner, please feel free to start a thread in IMO. :)

Back to our regularly scheduled Pet Peeves.

- Tropical Storms and Hurricanes are high on my list today.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
  • People who won't stand in line and wait their turn.
  • People who don't use their turn signals, especially when they're exiting a traffic circle.
  • People who insist on talking your ear off when they can see you're busy adding figures, preparing medications or trying to calm a frightened animal.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could they technically both do you justice in the form of lie down? Lay (to put something some where) as in to put yourself on the bed, therefore you layed down on the bed? [emoji]129300[/emoji]

No, because we don't put ourselves on the bed. We say " I'm going to lie down in bed ", not  " put myself on the bed." Someone else can lay us on the bed if they pick us up.
When I was younger and a guy picked me up I would get
  Can I say that on TCS?

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Could we get back to pet peeves please?

Another one: People who call after 9 p.m., although they know you're an early riser.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was answering a grammar question that @oldgloryrags88
had asked. Your comment is interesting but it's about thinking and opinions which should be in the IMO thread. I wasn't  trying to force an opinion on anyone. This is about English grammar.
I did not mean that you would force an opinion on someone. My post had two parts, second part was about my peevees and completely unrelated to your post, perhaps you misunderstood something or I did not manage to be enough clear.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing 'Not staying on topic' is becoming one of Jcat's pet peeves. 

here's one - people who leave their shopping carts in the middle of the aisle so no one can pass.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh I think we Mods have our own long list of TCS related pet peeves. ;)

It's probably already been mentioned but people using text speak when they aren't texting or even when they are texting. Is it really that difficult to spell things out?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I think we Mods have our own long list of TCS related pet peeves.

It's probably already been mentioned but people using text speak when they aren't texting or even when they are texting. Is it really that difficult to spell things out?
My DD is 21 and has a ZERO tolerance policy for text speak even when texting. I hate it too. It's obnoxious. No it's not that difficult. People just don't want to. I kind of get it with Twitter because you are limited to 140 characters but that's about it. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, because we don't put ourselves on the bed. We say " I'm going to lie down in bed ", not  " put myself on the bed." Someone else can lay us on the bed if they pick us up.
Funny, because in French that is what they would say. They have many reflexive verbs where, literally, one does something to oneself. Je me couche literally means I put myself to bed although it would be translated today as I went to bed. Another reflexive verb in French would be Je m'appelle, which translates as I call myself rather than my name is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another one: People who call after 9 p.m., although they know you're an early riser.
I would never call anyone after 9 p.m., early riser or not. Very inappropriate. Ditto the numpties who telephone before 9 a.m. Even that is too early IMO.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm guessing 'Not staying on topic' is becoming one of Jcat's pet peeves. 

here's one - people who leave their shopping carts in the middle of the aisle so no one can pass.
Also people who leave their cart in the middle of a parking space in the parking lot.  I have seen a cart in the middle of the space right next to one of those corrals for the carts.

profdanglais

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*language teacher hat on*

The difference between "lay" and "lie" in English is that lay is a transitive verb, and lie is intransitive. Transitive means that the verb needs to have an object. That's why we lay other things down but can't lay ourselves. Lie is intransitive so doesn't require an object. The difference is the same as between "raise" and "rise." Raise is transitive: you raise your hand or your children. Rise is intransitive: the sun rises and you rise from your chair. The reason that lay and lie are so confusing is because there is overlap in their past forms. The past tense of lie is lay, so today you lie in bed but yesterday you lay there. It's easy then to get confused. 

There's no need in English to say that you'll lay yourself down, because the word for that is lie :). English obviously doesn't have reflexive verbs like romance languages do, but it expresses that sens of reflexiveness with the -self pronouns. Where in French you would say "je me regarde" in English we'd say "I look at myself." Sometimes we just use possessive pronouns: Je me lave le visage--I wash my face. 

Personally, though, I don't see anything wrong with saying lay [-self] down. It's a linguistic choice. Lie down is standard usage, but lay myself down suggests that there's an external effort, like you're so tired you have to try extra hard just to get into bed. There are plenty of things that people say that get me worked up -- less vs fewer springs to mind, or "between you and I", but lay/lie doesn't really get to me. 

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 I have an ever growing list. Bit of a back ground for some, I work in a call centre.

People who walk at a weird pace in the middle of narrow pavements. I literally stumble along behind them, cannot overtake either side. 

The phrase "the customer is always right".

People who ask you a question, talking over you right when you are about to answer their question and you have to start allover again.

Very British statements "I don't want to complain but ... (proceeds to complain)" "I know you can't help with this but... (proceeds to describe a problem I cannot resolve) " and my absolute favourite in this category "I know I'm through to the wrong department"... gets my heart to sink every time.

I'll leave it at this for now.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I have an ever growing list. Bit of a back ground for some, I work in a call centre.

People who walk at a weird pace in the middle of narrow pavements. I literally stumble along behind them, cannot overtake either side. 

The phrase "the customer is always right".

People who ask you a question, talking over you right when you are about to answer their question and you have to start allover again.

Very British statements "I don't want to complain but ... (proceeds to complain)" "I know you can't help with this but... (proceeds to describe a problem I cannot resolve) " and my absolute favourite in this category "I know I'm through to the wrong department"... gets my heart to sink every time.

I'll leave it at this for now.
I too hate the phrase the customer is always right. The person who came up with that phrase must have never worked in customer service. I work retail and customers can be wrong.

I hate it when you explain the price of an item to a customer while they are shopping and then when they go to check out they decide they are being over-charged. Some people do this on purpose because they think the price will change if they hold up the line up front. Thankfully our mangers just void the transaction and have the customer check the price with them and tell them it is correct.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 I work retail
 I'm sorry :( 

I think that we should have a similar system for retail as Greece do for their armed forces. Everyone should work in a role for at least 2 years so they understand the challenges.

I used to work as a bar manager and would routinely have people demand free drinks because their order was made incorrectly, funny that they'd always drank the whole drink prior to complaining.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm sorry :( 

I think that we should have a similar system for retail as Greece do for their armed forces. Everyone should work in a role for at least 2 years so they understand the challenges.

I used to work as a bar manager and would routinely have people demand free drinks because their order was made incorrectly, funny that they'd always drank the whole drink prior to complaining.
I was in line in a fast food restaurant the other day and the woman in front of me was trying to get money or a burger or something because on her previous order the "buns were bad."  The cashier asked for a receipt but of course the woman didn't have one.  When it was my turn, the cashier told me that she (the customer) has tried that in a lot of different Wendy's where the cashier was working.  I had to laugh about it. I think if I were going to complain it would be about the burger being bad, not the buns.

Anyway, a pet peeve is people who drive in the lane that is not backed up and then cut into the one I"ve been sitting in for a long time, because they figure they are too good to have to wait in the line with the rest of us.  Follow up peeve, people who let them in.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bees are insects (not sure if that's in the same class as 'real' animals like dogs, humans, cats, etc). Honey has been used for thousands of years for medicine. Pretty amazing actually.
Bees are living creatures, whether they are insects or animals is a moot point.