Pet Insurance

gillyrosh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm thinking of changing my pet insurance (I currently have Lemonade).

Would love to hear from this forum what insurance everyone has and what they like/don't like about it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Embrace because it has an annual payment option, a high deductible option, reimburses up to 90%, and has a high annual maximum. When I was looking there was only one cheaper but it had a lower 80% reimbursement rate.

I hope your cat(s) are healthy. Whatever they have seen the vet for in the last year can be considered for pre-existing conditions with a new policy.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I understand, unless your cat is in perfect health, it is almost impossible to change insurance, without pre-existing issues exclusions.
Think carefully about it.
There are also 'trial periods' ranging from 3 - 6 months. This means that anything happening within this period of time is considered a pre-existing condition or an excluding condition.

Good luck. There re many thread on here about insurance.

I am fortunate as I have a good plan with my company. It was bought out by another company, but the are honoring my policy. The insurance has paid out more in reimbursements than the cost of the premiums.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely get the information you need. It will vary from company to company with waiting periods, for example. However, a pre existing condition puts you in a gray area which is where you could really lose out if you are not cautious. Most pre existing conditions are excluded; however, some companies have a clause which allows for their inclusion if you do not need to treat the condition for 6 months from the last occurrence. This will work if your cat had a URI, for example, which was treated and never happened again. If it is an ongoing condition, such as cancer treatments, it will not apply as you can't just stop treating something serious for 6 months.

Search Results for Query: pet insurance

To give you a direct answer, I have five cats insured with ASPCA and talked to them yesterday about the 14 year old as an add on. There are a number of companies that seem popular and have been used by TCS members. Trupanion, Embrace, Nationwide are a few.

I am assuming that you have had claims for your cat with Lemonade?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gillyrosh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am assuming that you have had claims for your cat with Lemonade?
Yes, I've made claims for one of my cats. I just added my new cat to the policy a few weeks ago.

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HI, I'm looking at insurance plans right now. Do you mind sharing what it is that you don't like about Lemonade please?