pet insurance

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Once the veterinary profession began to use human diagnostics, procedures, and medications for pets, the cost became equivalent to that of having an uninsured child.

When I insured Jamie, the first cat to be, he suddenly needed an ultrasound. I called the company as I expected that it might be challenged because it was being done because nothing else had determined what was wrong. They told me that if the vet thought it was medically necessary, it would be covered, and it was.

One caveat with most plans is that if you change an existing plan, it usually creates a new policy AND anything that was covered before becomes preexisting. So choose a plan carefully and stick with it. In the US, pet insurance companies report to the state department of insurance, and as such, can be reported if necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Once the veterinary profession began to use human diagnostics, procedures, and medications for pets, the cost became equivalent to that of having an uninsured child.

When I insured Jamie, the first cat to be, he suddenly needed an ultrasound. I called the company as I expected that it might be challenged because it was being done because nothing else had determined what was wrong. They told me that if the vet thought it was medically necessary, it would be covered, and it was.

One caveat with most plans is that if you change an existing plan, it usually creates a new policy AND anything that was covered before becomes preexisting. So choose a plan carefully and stick with it. In the US, pet insurance companies report to the state department of insurance, and as such, can be reported if necessary.
Thank you so much letting me know about this. I tell you they get you one way or another. I just signed up so I’m going to cancel and increase to higher premium.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much letting me know about this. I tell you they get you one way or another. I just signed up so I’m going to cancel and increase to higher premium.
Thank you so much letting me know about this. I tell you they get you one way or another. I just signed up so I’m going to cancel and increase to higher premium. Yes,
Morphine was given as post op. But with the amount of meds she’s taking, I think it causing lot of stress. I decided to give only absolute necessary meds like GI meds to keep things moving.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, thank you for your input, much appreciated. Upon doing some research, there are tons of exclusions regarding preexisting conditions and most want a vet checkup within the first 30 days of purchase to establish a baseline. Comparing trupanion and Petplace insurance, Trupanion is much more expensive for a similar plan.

What is an important factor for me to choose the insurance is the ease of submitting the claim and fast payout. Claims are different case by case but in your experience which insurance do you prefer?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got pet insurance on our Alaskan Malamute. Then she developed bone cancer and I was told the insurance didn't cover that. Won't fall for that anymore. I will just pay out of pockets when bills occur instead of paying monthly "just in case" and then finding out it was for nothing.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got pet insurance on our Alaskan Malamute. Then she developed bone cancer and I was told the insurance didn't cover that. Won't fall for that anymore. I will just pay out of pockets when bills occur instead of paying monthly "just in case" and then finding out it was for nothing.
Sorry, pet insurance didn't work out. Which insurance was that if you don't mind me asking. I thought insurance was for an illness like cancer. With pet healthcare as expensive as a human counterpart, how in the world are we supposed to provide optimal healthcare for our babies without the whole industry taking us to cleaners?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, pet insurance didn't work out. Which insurance was that if you don't mind me asking. I thought insurance was for an illness like cancer. With pet healthcare as expensive as a human counterpart, how in the world are we supposed to provide optimal healthcare for our babies without the whole industry taking us to cleaners?
Honestly, I don't remember the name. That was back in 2012.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only had Trupanion so I cannot comment on the others. Krista had a vomiting visit and dental work in her look back period. They request records from your vet going back 18 months to see what is preexisting. Her dental issues and anything related to her IBD and eventually lymphoma were not covered. However her hospitalization and her surgery were both covered. I paid the bill out of pocket and submitted the claim. I got payments via direct deposit within a couple of weeks. For stuff that is covered, they made it very easy.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Petplan for Current kitty.
I had a good experience Wittgenstein last year— got claim and refund immediately

This yeast, I submitted a claim on 7/19. It has been “assigned” for 3 weeks!
I call every week.
Today, could not get through. They ha e a. Answering service—-that is IF you can get through.

Terminal hold on 2nd call, then answering service!!
office closed all day!!!!

Ridiculous!!!

Next time I called— they hung up!!!

I am furious!!

When My soul kitty was alive, I had a problem with Trupanion. I swear they are all rip offs!

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have Petplan for Current kitty.
I had a good experience Wittgenstein last year— got claim and refund immediately

This yeast, I submitted a claim on 7/19. It has been “assigned” for 3 weeks!
I call every week.
Today, could not get through. They ha e a. Answering service—-that is IF you can get through.

Terminal hold on 2nd call, then answering service!!
office closed all day!!!!

Ridiculous!!!

Next time I called— they hung up!!!

I am furious!!

When My soul kitty was alive, I had a problem with Trupanion. I swear they are all rip offs!
Sorry to hear this. Petplan customer service is so shotty tbh. I got the answering service too. Trupanion is so much more expensive than Petplan, so I expected better customer service. I can buy pet insurance offered by my employer and premiums are deducted from my paycheck just like your health insurance. I will try that for now. The cost of kitty care has gotten up so much, every vet visit is in hundreds, something major is in thousands. They really clean us out because they know we will pay.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, thank you for your input, much appreciated. Upon doing some research, there are tons of exclusions regarding preexisting conditions and most want a vet checkup within the first 30 days of purchase to establish a baseline. Comparing trupanion and Petplace insurance, Trupanion is much more expensive for a similar plan.

What is an important factor for me to choose the insurance is the ease of submitting the claim and fast payout. Claims are different case by case but in your experience which insurance do you prefer?
I just submitted Fritz’s diabetes costs to date last week. This included three full workups with blood panel, etc., several tests including fructosamine test, antibiotics, insulin, syringes from the vet, They have already approved everything and reimbursed me. I make sure to write Frtiz’s name and policy number on every page I submit. I use Petplan.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear this. Petplan customer service is so shotty tbh. I got the answering service too. Trupanion is so much more expensive than Petplan, so I expected better customer service. I can buy pet insurance offered by my employer and premiums are deducted from my paycheck just like your health insurance. I will try that for now. The cost of kitty care has gotten up so much, every vet visit is in hundreds, something major is in thousands. They really clean us out because they know we will pay.
I am quite surprised that Petplan’s customer service has been a bad experience for you. They have been amazing for me, with Fritz’s diabetes diagnosis. I would call back and hopefully get one of the excellent customer service reps. I guess I just lucked out, but I have had previous claims with other cats and been very pleased.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I finally got through to PetPlan, on Tuesday. Yesterday, I got an email stating that my check was in the mail... Unfortunately, they deducted the IM Vets office visit from the claim!! :livid:

So, for a $900 bill I got reimbursed $560!! Furious!!

I am so upset... but, they do what they want! The IMVet gave me a break by billing it as an established patient rather than a new, full, exam=----but it did not work out that way..

Their reasoning: it was a regular visit!! dam! I may contest it, this weekend.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty was diagnosed with IBD, do you think it’s worth it buy insurance now that there is preexisting condition

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty was diagnosed with IBD, do you think it’s worth it buy insurance now that there is preexisting condition
In my experience, the insurance company would deny any and all claims with nausea, diarrhea, etc... That does include many things which begin with nausea, poor appetite, diarrhea, constipation...

I would think twice keeping it; that is if you already have a policy.

If you are looking for a new plan, then, I would specifically ask about this; As to What they will cover.... but ......

IN my experience: Once it was deemed that my last cat's IBD was pre-existing, I dropped the insurance.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily. Krista wasn’t even diagnosed with IBD when I signed her up. She did have a vomit visit in her file. That was enough to rule out all the IBD expenses. I kept the insurance anyway. I was just about to cancel it going into the new year when Krista ended up in the hospital for ten days. She had awful liver numbers and needed to be on IV fluids to bring them back down. She also had an ear infection. Needed dental work. It was a doozy of a stay. And a bigger doozy of a bill. But Trupanion picked it up. 90% after deductible. About $7200 out of the $9600 submitted. Given Krista’s age and health, I figured I was playing with house money keeping her insured after that. They already paid out more than I expected to pay in with Krista’s age and health. About a year and half later, she had another ear infection that required a $2200 MRI to diagnose and another $4000 worth of surgery to fix. All told, it was nearly identical to the other claim. The total bill was nearly $10k. Trupanion paid out 90% after deductible or another $7200 give or take. What they paid out for two claims that were unrelated to her IBD was well worth the premiums I paid. And far more than I could have covered from regular contributions to a savings account. I would have to have contributed about $400/month to that account—several times more than my insurance premium. I could get much better return on $400/mo elsewhere than putting it in any interest bearing cash account today. Despite Krista’s preexisting conditions, pet insurance was still a very good deal.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think in your case, insurance helped you because the dignosis “IBD” was not made prior to buying the insurance. Vomiting, diarrhea are symptoms. Once the definitive diagnoses is made, biopsy confirmed IBD, then pre existing conditions apply.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think in your case, insurance helped you because the dignosis “IBD” was not made prior to buying the insurance. Vomiting, diarrhea are symptoms. Once the definitive diagnoses is made, biopsy confirmed IBD, then pre existing conditions apply.
No. None of the IBD and eventual lymphoma costs were covered. They said it all related back to her vomit visit and assumed she was pre-IBD at the time of sign up. My point was that even with a big preexisting condition like IBD, my Krista still found a way to make insurance worth it. 😿 Twice! 🤦🏼‍♂️