Pet Food Recall

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nimbus

Aw crap, I just bought about 12 cans of Nutro Max Cat Gourmet Classics Kitten wet food (Chicken & Liver Formula)...

According to the Nutro website, this product has NOT been added to the list of recalled items, but how worried should I be?! Wouldn't they have stopped selling these cans if they were concerned AT ALL?

ugh...

-Kristen
THE CANNED on STORE shelves is SAFE... No worries the main part of this thread is from march / april during the MASSIVE recall with some minors added as they come up

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
from the FDA website this morning:

Recalled Pet Food
Product: Bravo Original Formula Chicken Blend frozen raw food
Product Numbers: 21-102, 21-105, 21-110
Sizes: 2 pound, 5 pound and 10 pound tubes
Batch ID code (on hang tag): 236
Reason for Recall: Salmonella, Listeria

Product: Bravo Original Formula Turkey Blend frozen raw food
Product Numbers: 31-102, 31-105, 31-110
Sizes: 2 pound, 5 pound and 10 pound tubes
Batch ID code (on hang tag): 236
Reason for Recall: Listeria

Product: Bravo Basic Formula Finely Ground Chicken frozen raw food
Product Number: 21-212
Size: 2 pound tube
Batch ID Code (on hang tag): 226
Reason for Recall: Salmonella, Listeria

Other Batch IDs for these same products are not involved in the recall.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted this yesterday under Recall Links..though just the link. Mods..can someone add this message to the Recall Links? It would be a good followup to my just posting the link and notice of the recall.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting the link!
I have it bookmarked in my favorite folder files..

~KK~

winterrosefairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
http://www.itchmo.com/new-recall-har...-3707more-3707

NEW RECALL: Hartz Vitamin Care For Cats
Posted on Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 at 4:18 pm in National Dog, Cat & Pet Info, Cats, Pet Food Recalls & Safety.
By Emily Huh

Hartz announced a recall on November 2 for a specific lot of Hartz Vitamin Care for cats because of salmonella concerns. Here is the release from their website:

The Hartz Mountain Corporation is voluntarily recalling one specific lot of Hartz Vitamin Care for Cats due to concerns that one or more bottles within the lot may have been potentially contaminated with Salmonella. Hartz is fully cooperating with the US Food and Drug Administration in this voluntary recall.

The product involved is 3600 bottles of Hartz Vitamin Care for Cats, lot code SZ-16371, UPC number 32700-97701, which was manufactured by a third party manufacturer, UFAC (USA), Inc., in Baconton, Georgia. While normal testing conducted by Hartz and UFAC has not revealed the presence of Salmonella in any Hartz products, sampling conducted by the FDA did detect the presence of Salmonella. Hartz is aggressively investigating the source of the problem.

Although the company has not received any reports of animals or humans becoming ill as a result of coming into contact with this product, Hartz is taking immediate steps to remove the product from all retail stores and distribution centers. Cat owners should check the lot code on their bottles, and, if the code is not visible, or if the bottle has lot code SZ-16371 imprinted thereon, they should immediately discontinue use of the product and discard it in a proper manner.

Consumers can contact Hartz at 1-800-275-1414 with any questions they may have and to obtain reimbursement for purchased product.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Be aware that the information I'm posting below comes from a single source, is simply a single report without any substantiation at this time.

I've thought carefully before posting this. If I were using this particular food product and, if there were any questions being raised about it, I know that I would rather have heard them earlier rather than later. At least, if I know of a potential issue, I am in a position to be able to make a decision about continuing to use that product. Based on this, I'll proceed.

There has been a report posted by a new American member of/on a Canadian pet forum (Pets.ca) to the effect that the poster purchased some Nutro cat food from a Petsmart store in Braintree MA, shortly after which all their cats were unwell and one has been diagnosed with CRF. The post indicates that the store manager told this individual that some previously recalled food had been tested and found "OK to sell". It goes on to say that the poster had identified that the particular products are "from the recall list" and had new barcode labels pasted over the original barcodes.

The poster also stated that they had posted this information on 2 "bulletin boards" as well.

One of those, Yahoo Message Boards, appears to be here:
http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/St...=2&frt=2&off=1

The original forum post was made on Dec. 23. A second post appeared on the 24th and the poster will apparently disclose more information "in a day or two".

Thusfar there appears to be no other reports, information, confirmation... nada. However, it's also the holidays.

(The report is also being discussed on one of the "recall-inspired" forums.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CRF is a CHRONIC issue folks and DOES NOT happen in a short time...

Right now the FDA and ICHMO( not the forum) would be sites to watch...

So far this would be the allegedly third ??able food since the end of the recalls ... so far NONE = anything for the worry

http://www.fda.gov/

looking at the front page nothing on ANY pet food

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
NONE = anything for the worry
Again, please re-read my motivation for my post. This is NOT intended to create/instill fear or worry.

The entire recall fiaso has taught previously complacent, trusting furkid parents to no longer blindly trust the petfood industry but, to get educated and take responsibility in feeding those furkids. To act responsibly, one needs to have the requisite knowledge....which includes being aware of others' experiences.

Certainly there may be members here who have little regard for public forums - like Itchmo - where petparents can voice and state their experiences.

Well, consider this: Had there been an Itchmo or a PetFoodList forum back in March when petparents were (instead) calling MenuFoods to complain that MF food had poisoned their pets....undoubtedly, many pets would have been spared from illness and death.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

There is a documentary on tomorrow night (Thursday) and it repeats Saturday night (January 26th), regarding the pet food industry and commercial pet foods.
http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/dogsbreakfast.html
I would really like to see this show...
If you hear that it's going to be shown in the US, please let us know.
I'll do the same.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I would really like to see this show...
If you hear that it's going to be shown in the US, please let us know.
I'll do the same.
Me too...I was hoping it was showing here too.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I didn't realize it wasn't a US channel.
I didn't find it anywhere on my stations.