Personal grooming issue

gwencorinne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Reese was just adopted by us three days ago, he’s 3 years old and was neutered a good while ago (end of December) before we got him. All 3 days he has shown excessive (?) grooming of his genitalia— like catching him doing it 2-3 times a day and the accompanying problem is him humping my stuffed animals, which starts with him first kneading them then starting to make mounting/thrusting motions with his back legs. He was a stray for 2 years prior and he has a vet appointment scheduled for Tuesday so I know I’ll be able to address it there— I just can’t tell if it’s a stress related behavior or just something maybe he’s never grown out of after his recent neutering? He produces some sort of liquid during it that’s clear and a very small amount.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cat Reese was just adopted by us three days ago, he’s 3 years old and was neutered a good while ago (end of December) before we got him. All 3 days he has shown excessive (?) grooming of his genitalia— like catching him doing it 2-3 times a day and the accompanying problem is him humping my stuffed animals, which starts with him first kneading them then starting to make mounting/thrusting motions with his back legs. He was a stray for 2 years prior and he has a vet appointment scheduled for Tuesday so I know I’ll be able to address it there— I just can’t tell if it’s a stress related behavior or just something maybe he’s never grown out of after his recent neutering? He produces some sort of liquid during it that’s clear and a very small amount.
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

After a cat have been neutered, testosterones are still in his system and it takes 6 - 8 weeks before it leaves the system and in the meanwhile, the cat is still in his old self and will only calm down later and of which, may still process certain behaviors and also could be due to other factors.

Here's a recent thread which is almost similar to what you are asking and you may find some answers there :- Simple question. Can anyone tell me why my male cat loves on my arm after already being "fixed"

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a male cat that was neutered but would still go after a female (spayed) over a year after being neutered. if Reese was neutered this past December could it be possible there were complications which weren’t addressed?
Since the end of December is only 2-3 weeks ago, it could be normal for him to groom himself there. I’m sure after being examined by vet he should be able to answer your concerns..