Persistent And Resistant Flea Problem

DV&P

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!
So glad I have found this group. I have been a cat owner most of my adult life. All of my cat's have been indoor cats but occassionally, they have gotten fleas. My current cat is my only cat and she is a long haired, Siamese/Persian mix. She is 10 years old. I have a large Master bedroom and bath in an apartment I share with a roommate that has 2 cats that do go outside for a bit every day. (They never stray far from the complex.) Our cats have never met because I keep mine in my room with the door always closed. Her cats don't seem to have any flea problems. There are a couple of stay cats around that some of the tenants feed and treat for health problems and medical care but they are quite feral. The person who rented my room before me did not have any cats or animals.
I moved into my current place a year ago and she was flealess. However, about 3 months into our tenancy, I noticed she was scratching and cleaning herself much more than usual. I looked for fleas and thought I may have seen one so I treated her with a round of Advantage for large cats for a 3 month cycle. (Which she hates and looks at me like she despises me!) Being the good cat parent that I am, I treated her for 3 months and assumed this was cleared up. Around the New Year, she was still scratching and I bought more Advantage (Plus?) and treated her for 3 more months- sometimes even treating her twice a month. It is now almost July and I still am finding flecks of flea dirt on my desk where she somertimes sleeps. I scooped the flecks into my hand and threw them into the sink where the moisture turned them red. (They were not active fleas because the were not moving.) I am usually attacked by fleas and bitten but I have not been at all. I treated her with Frontline Plus last month but she is still scratching and she's due for another treatment. I don't know what else to do! Does anyone know how to get rid of these miserable pests for good? Is there something I should get from the Vet? I don't think there is a Vet tech strong enough to flea dip her- she is a scratcher and a biter (I have the scars to prove it!) ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thank you all...from BOTH of us.
PS...Oh yeah...forget about trying pills or oral medicine- I would need six arms complete with Armour to attempt THAT! I can't even slip it into her food because she will only eat one kind of dry food..won't touch canned, tuna, cheese, sardines, oil, cantaloupe (someone said their cats loved it- but not mine.) We're getting desperate here...
Derek

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes. And if you do decide to use diatomaceous earth, be sure to get Food grade -- given the way cats bathe you know in advance that some of it will wind up in her stomach.

Margret

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a big flea problem 2 years ago...it took me 3 months to get rid of them all. They were also biting me, i was going insane. The only suggestions i can give you (from my experience) is vaccum/clean your floors everyday. Wash everything in hot water (your cat bed but also your own sheets)...more than once. Use a flea comb dipped in water mixed with a little bit of dish soap so the fleas stick on the comb and dont jump back on your floor, then rinse you comb in hot water and repeat.
An appointment with the vet would be a good idea if you are still worried. My cats are usually scared when the vet is holding them...so they let her do pretty much anything to them.
Good luck :)