People With Ibd Cats: What Are You Feeding Them?

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I found out my cat has IBD, I did research online and found that rabbit was an ideal diet.

She has been eating Nature's Variety rabbit wet can food and Primal dehydrated raw rabbit nuggets (which I just found out has sardine oil...oops!!).
I'm about to switch to Stella and chewy dehydrated rabbit.

I have 8 cats that all eat good quality food and the cost including Rabbit is becoming very EXPENSIVE!

I'm checking to see if there is a different protein that IBD cats can eat:
**What are you feeding you IBD cats that does well with their digestion?**
She is not on medication.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think rabbit is often recommended because it's a novel protein and not found in non-premium brands. Any other novel protein should also be helpful: vension, alligator, kangaroo, pork, etc. Here's a TCS thread on novel proteins: Your favorite brands of "novel protein" canned cat food

My possible IBD cat is currently eating only the NV frozen rabbit medallions. He does get a little bit of the chicken Raw Bites for snacks but I haven't noticed that causing any issues :crossfingers:

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Tiberius has IBD and he eats exclusively (except when he is naughty and steals the other cats food then rewards us with diarrhea) Royal Canin Rabbit & Peas.

If/when that is no longer effective I will try venison. If that doesn't work I will likely move on to kangaroo as it seems to be slightly easier to find then some of the other exotics.

Sadly, I haven't found an inexpensive way to feed an IBD kitty.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had an IBD cat, but my son and his wife do. after countless vet visits, much medication and prescription food there was never really a long term improvement for their cat. Something we read some where said try fancy feast classics, not the fish flavors. They had tried everything else, so they did. Their cat has been on FF classics for 2 years now, and does very well. she has not had a relapse at all, except the 2 times they tried to give her a spoon full or two of dry. she cannot deal with any dry. Their may be other wet foods she could eat, but she has had such good luck with the FF they are hesitant to try. They also feed 3 other indoor cats and it needs to be the same food, they all like the FF, and they are not too expensive, so it works for them. I dont know if it would work for others, but it has for them.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our IBD cat does well on single protein grain-free canned food, as have several dogs and cats with GI problems at the shelter.

Most of the meats Mowgli eats are "novel": horse, ostrich, buffalo (those three are prescription foods), kangaroo, reindeer, goat, rabbit, paired with no more than 3% turnips or (sweet) potatoes. He tolerated duck for a while, but no longer can. Raw and hydrolyzed proteins were a disaster for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our IBD cat does well on single protein grain-free canned food, as have several dogs and cats with GI problems at the shelter.

Most of the meats Mowgli eats are "novel": horse, ostrich, buffalo (those three are prescription foods), kangaroo, reindeer, goat, rabbit, paired with no more than 3% turnips or (sweet) potatoes. He tolerated duck for a while, but no longer can. Raw and hydrolyzed proteins were a disaster for him.
I just tried raw with my little girl and it certainly was a disaster.only 1/4 tablespoon caused her bloody liquid diarrhea. I'm so disappointed cause it seemed like suchva promising healing factor for IBD kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Adding two web sites with info on diets for IBD if you haven't already seen them:

IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

Both are for raw and homecooked diets, though. The IBDKitties web site has a separate forum on FB where you can discuss other diets and all things IBD.
Thank you. I joined the FB group and the creator and I had a little falling out so they no longer want to help me.
But I tried raw and it has not been pretty.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have an ibd kitty but my aunt does. She just feeds chicken Weruva and gives B-12 shots regularly.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry to hear that :grouphug: There is a Yahoo group for feline IBD but it's not very active, a few posts weekly if that, and "old timer" members aren't very welcoming to new members.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
trisha422 trisha422 I've been told by quite a few people that raw is the be all and end all for IBD kitties, but it's simply not true. I consulted a certified nutritionist (and not an oft-cited online vet who claims to be a nutrition expert, but doesn't provide any documentation) to find what worked for Mowgli, and raw was one of the things tested. It may work for some or even many of them, but Mowgli couldn't digest it. If I'd followed their advice, my cat probably would have died of malnutrition.

:vibes::vibes::vibes: that you find something your baby can tolerate.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
trisha422 trisha422 I've been told by quite a few people that raw is the be all and end all for IBD kitties, but it's simply not true.
Even a life long raw only diet isn't guarantee that IBD and other digestive issues won't happen. My cat has been eating raw since he was weaned and he recently developed digestive issues (not yet confirmed as IBD. Still waiting for test results). He's still eating raw and getting meds.

Digestive enzymes and probiotics are supposed to be helpful to IBD cats. There's more info about that on the two web sites I linked above.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My current cat is not IBD but my last cat had many issues which led me to wanting to find the "right" proteins for her digestion/health.

In any case, I personally think that, if you are going to feed raw food (commercial or homemade), you have to make sure to educate yourself on raw feeding and any supplements needed, and any issues associated with raw diets. I know this thread did not really bring up feeding raw homemade rabbit, but rather canned foods with rabbit & some commercial raw rabbit recipes --and so I'd guess all the needed ingredients for a healthy cat would be included. But it reminded me of a past thread where @1CatOverTheLine brought up a study about taurine deficiency in raw rabbit diets
Dietary fads

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IBD is multicausal, so you never know. I took over the care for my sister's cat who had IBD. I eliminated the dry food. I then got a recipe from book at the library by a vet - brought it to the new vet who ok'd it by adding taurine. Gave some suggestions. Then I cooked her food. I chose turkey to start with and that worked perfect. Some months later, tried Friskies Turkey & Giblets and she was fine with that too. She never had dry food again and would only eat what I made and the Friskies Turkey & Giblets. Eventually put down for kidney failure at 18. I was lucky that it was a clear allergy causing the problem, not necessarily the protein.