People Food Cats Should Or Shouldn't Eat?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two cats got into some doctored-up pasta Alfredo I had made that had capers and basil in it. I looked online unsuccessfully to find out if those ingredients are harmful to cats. Do any of you have any additional information? The cats seem no worse for the wear, but I want to be proactive about this if there's a potential problem.

I don't think they got much of the basil or capers--maybe a couple each. I don't think Sir Eats-A-Lot nor Chesterfield like them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did it have garlic and onion in it? Those are big no-nos to cats. Here is the ASPCA's list of no-no people foods to feed to cats and dogs: People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets

I'd just keep an eye on the cats for the new few days. If you notice any changes in appetite or litter box habits or behavior, you should bring the cats to the vet.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
alfredo likely has garlic in it. The toxicity of garlic or onions is not a science in dogs and cats, only knowing that it's bad for them. It causes the red blood cells to explode and we don't know how much it takes per animal to actually make them sick. Watch over the next few day for lethargy or any odd behavior.
Stew once ate half an eggroll he got into. I'm pretty sure there were loads of onions in it.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Stew once ate half an eggroll he got into. I'm pretty sure there were loads of onions in it.
:flail: That would totally be something Luna would do. She eats everything!. Omgh, I would be so pissed if she ate a whole half of an egg roll.