Pelt like fur breeds?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do not really know if this is the right place for posting this, but oh, well, I think it is not wrong either.
My question is: appart from bengal breed, famous for its characteristic softness that reminds whoever touching them of an expensive coat, are there any other breeds that have this particular softness?
I have had this curiosity for about three years and nothing I've read has ever given me a fully satifying answer. I hope someone can throw some light over this question.
Thanks a lot for reading!

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Longhaired cats will always be soft. Among the Shorthairs, Exotics, Tonkinese, American Shorthair, British Shorthair, and Burmilla are all known for having thick, plush fur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for answering abyeb abyeb !
Yeah, my own long haired persian cross is very soft, and his purebreed persian mother too but it is a totally different kind of softness. Brithish Shorthairs are soft too (a friend has a pedigreed one, show quality), but not quite as soft as bengals.
I read once in the description of the breed that you can tell a bengal with the lights turned off just by its touch. I thought it might be an exageration, but still have to ask hehehe.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My girl is a moggy but her fur is super super soft. She is a short hair but there is never any doubt as to which cat you are petting even without looking. She is shorthair and her fur is very fine, dense and fluffy. I honestly have never run across a cat with fuzz like hers. Now I want to find a Bengal and compare, lol.

I am interested to hear some other comments. She has to have a link to one of those soft breeds.

This is her...

She is a short and stubby little thing too.

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not really know if this is the right place for posting this, but oh, well, I think it is not wrong either.
My question is: appart from bengal breed, famous for its characteristic softness that reminds whoever touching them of an expensive coat, are there any other breeds that have this particular softness?
I have had this curiosity for about three years and nothing I've read has ever given me a fully satifying answer. I hope someone can throw some light over this question.
Thanks a lot for reading!
Jaguarundi, early generation Savannahs, Leopard Cats, and Ocelots all carry napped coats whose colouration forms grain patterns like Bengals, giving them the same "1940s fur coat" feel.  Ocicats have the same short coats, but the pattern is faintly curly, like a Snow Leopard's - a little like the peaks that form in whipped cream, or the loop-and-curl texture of bouclé fabric - and doesn't give that velour feel.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That moggie is a Snowshoe and you know it.

I usually think of Link as Snowshoe and her as moggie. She is just so opposite of him in everyway but coloring. Short, stubby, soft, quiet (super quiet she knocks my closet door instead of meowing to wake me up). I also know her Mom was a grey tabby as was her grandmother and great grandmother just from watching the feral colony she was from. I'll take Snowshoe label though. Still interesting to hear about coat textures and where she might have gotten that soft coat from.

Last edited:

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jaguarundi, early generation Savannahs, Leopard Cats, and Ocelots all carry napped coats whose colouration forms grain patterns like Bengals, giving them the same "1940s fur coat" feel.  Ocicats have the same short coats, but the pattern is faintly curly, like a Snow Leopard's - a little like the peaks that form in whipped cream, or the loop-and-curl texture of bouclé fabric - and doesn't give that velour feel.

Thanks a lot for them info!
The first breed you mentioned, Jaguarundi, is totally new for me, I will have to look for some info about it.
So, basicaly, this trace is inherited from the Wild ancestor. Is this softness something that can espontaneously occur in a DSH cat?
P.S.: I hace just checked Jaguarundi, thinking it would be a domestic cat breed, and noooooo. They do not have friendndly faces hahahahaha

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot for them info!
The first breed you mentioned, Jaguarundi, is totally new for me, I will have to look for some info about it.
So, basicaly, this trace is inherited from the Wild ancestor. Is this softness something that can espontaneously occur in a DSH cat?
P.S.: I hace just checked Jaguarundi, thinking it would be a domestic cat breed, and noooooo. They do not have friendndly faces hahahahaha
No - but they're delightful little cats.  Right up through the early 1960s in the U.S. they were popular as household pets, along with Ocelots (probably the most popular of the little "exotic" cats), Margays and Oncillas.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No - but they're delightful little cats.  Right up through the early 1960s in the U.S. they were popular as household pets, along with Ocelots (probably the most popular of the little "exotic" cats), Margays and Oncillas.

That is so cool. In Europe there are more rodent species than wild cats, which is disapointing.
WoW. An Ocelot. As a pet. That is so amazing, I would certainly enjoy that. Legislations for having any size of wild cats in Spain are very severe and expensive.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Ocelots would be a pretty painful pet, they live in the rainforests of South America, so their urine (which they spray to mark their territory), is very pungent, to the point that many people agree that they are the most smelly species of felid. Wild cats that you keep in your house will keep their wild behavior, which includes spraying. If you like that wild look, you might want to look in to Ocicats. http://cfa.org/Breeds/BreedsKthruR/Ocicat.aspx
They were actually originally named Ocicat due to their resemblance to the Ocelot. Unlike Bengals, (and Savannah, Chausie), they have no wild blood. Hybrids can sometimes have behavioral issues. Check out this link, https://www.google.com/amp/s/bigcatrescue.org/hybrid-facts/amp/

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ocelots would be a pretty painful pet, they live in the rainforests of South America, so their urine (which they spray to mark their territory), is very pungent, to the point that many people agree that they are the most smelly species of felid. Wild cats that you keep in your house will keep their wild behavior, which includes spraying. If you like that wild look, you might want to look in to Ocicats. http://cfa.org/Breeds/BreedsKthruR/Ocicat.aspx
They were actually originally named Ocicat due to their resemblance to the Ocelot. Unlike Bengals, (and Savannah, Chausie), they have no wild blood. Hybrids can sometimes have behavioral issues. Check out this link, https://www.google.com/amp/s/bigcatrescue.org/hybrid-facts/amp/
Thanks! Ocicats are really beautiful and I have allways liked them. However, I am a bengal person at the momment.
I am already waiting for my baby bengal to be old and strong enough to take her home, breeder will send me new pictures today (yay!!!).
No wild cats of any size are allowed to be kept indoors in Spain, it is necessary a big and costly fenced exterior area whith the higienic conditions fullfilled. I do have a lot of space in my garden (not for a lion, but surely for most smaller felines), but with three great danes, I do not think it would be a big idea. So I was not at all thinking on having a wild cat at home. If I did, I would probably go for a lynx, however, as I find them extremelly beautiful and their size appeals me, even though they are not as soft as ALC, ocelots and the kind.
The thread was opened because I do really have an interest on the genetics involved in this "hair softness" fenotype, not in the pattern, which I think is not necessarily linked.

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Ocicats are really beautiful and I have allways liked them. However, I am a bengal person at the momment.
I am already waiting for my baby bengal to be old and strong enough to take her home, breeder will send me new pictures today (yay!!!).
No wild cats of any size are allowed to be kept indoors in Spain, it is necessary a big and costly fenced exterior area whith the higienic conditions fullfilled. inked.
Alejandra - your natural language is Spanish - very close to Portuguese.  You might like Brazil; here's a short video for you:

Seven nice little kitties !