peeing on my bed

LunaandNala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone.

So my 2 kittens have now settled in really well now but little Luna has started to pee on my bed 😭 😭 😭. I've had her Urine checked by the vet all is clear she is saying its behavioural.
Its not all the time and most of the time when I'm sleeping, other times when she's playing with her sister. it seems to only be my bed she's doing it on.
I'm so stressed I don't know what to do. I've tried the treats on the bed, playing with her on the bed like other sites have advised and wash the sheets and stuff straight away even at 4am :confused:.

Any help is is greatly appreciated

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is this kitten and how many litter boxes do you have? Is this a newer issue, whereby she was religiously using the box(es) before?

With young kittens they can practically use a litter box in every room to enable them to get to one in time. One in your bedroom near the bed would certainly be a good place.
Placing her in the box periodically is another tactic you can try. And especially right before you go to bed.
She may not like the box(es) and or the litter. So, you might have to experiment with others to see if that is part of the problem. Since she seems to want to pee on something soft, you could try to use puppy pee pads in a litter box - probably the best one would be the one in your bedroom. This is a temporary measure, and you can slowly convert back to litter once the habit has been broken.
Covering your mattress with a plastic sheet will help with clean up. And you must make sure you are cleaning the bedding with enzymatic cleaners to ensure the urine smell is completely removed. You can also cover the bed with plastic when you are not sleeping to help with clean up and to help discourage her from using it - sometimes cats are less inclined to use the bed when it is covered with plastic.

Maybe there are some other ideas/tips for you in these articles.
The 10 Most Common Litter Box Mistakes Cat Owners Make - TheCatSite
The Litterbox - What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LunaandNala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's 15 weeks now and this is something that she only started doing almost 2 weeks now. That's why I thought it was maybe a urine infection.
I have a liter box right outside my bedroom door which she uses and one downstairs which she also uses.
She went 2 days without doing it and I thought we had made a break through then she done it through the night then again in the morning when she was playing with her sister.

She is happy to use the litter tray with litter but she still wants to use my bed also. I'm going to try a white vinegar spray.

I don't want to lock them out the bedroom because they like to cuddle beside me now and sleep it took me a while to gain this bond but I also can't have her wetting. I'm at a loss

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

LunaandNala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks I'll give it a go see if it works 🤞🤞 I was going to get another litter tray to keep in my bedroom so they have one in the bedroom, hallway and downstairs

LunaandNala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She Just went to the litter tray done a poo then straight onto my bed and wet 😭😭😭😭 I'm so stressed with it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She Just went to the litter tray done a poo then straight onto my bed and wet 😭😭😭😭 I'm so stressed with it
If you find this to be a pattern, there are cats who do not want to use the same litter box for peeing and pooping. Not saying that is the case, but just something else to add to your 'investigations/experiments'.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there a way to restrict any access to your bed for now? My fear is she's going to start rehearsing this over and over until it's an ingrained habit. Make sure you clean the mattress well with an enzymatic cleaner :)

LunaandNala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there a way to restrict any access to your bed for now? My fear is she's going to start rehearsing this over and over until it's an ingrained habit. Make sure you clean the mattress well with an enzymatic cleaner :)
She was in my room for 10 mins last night and went twice on the bed so I just has to shut them both out, I could hear then trying to get into the room but eventually settled. I am going to go today and replace my mattress protector and duvet and buy new bedding that she hasn't peed on and ill spray the mattress before I put it all on. I'm going to get another litter tray today too. she's such a beautiful wee soul just so frustrating that she's doing this 😭

LunaandNala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you find this to be a pattern, there are cats who do not want to use the same litter box for peeing and pooping. Not saying that is the case, but just something else to add to your 'investigations/experiments'.
She uses the same tray for both and is happy to use the same tray as her sister

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, how frustrating. If it helps, you're far from the only cat parent who's had this problem. I just did a site search for "peeing on bed" and a bunch of threads came up. Here's the link to them, if you want to check some of them out.

Search Results for Query: peeing on bed

LunaandNala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even though she does use the same box for those things, could just mean she's doing her best to try and be good.

Two cats usually need 3 boxes. There's lots of DIY solutions for small spaces. I recommend trying one with a lid if you have one without and vice versa. Some cats have preferences.

If it's behavioural, you'll need to look at things for FIC: Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) | International Cat Care

Feline Idiopathic Cystitis | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals

Inappropriate Elimination (House-Soiling) in Cats

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She was in my room for 10 mins last night and went twice on the bed so I just has to shut them both out, I could hear then trying to get into the room but eventually settled. I am going to go today and replace my mattress protector and duvet and buy new bedding that she hasn't peed on and ill spray the mattress before I put it all on. I'm going to get another litter tray today too. she's such a beautiful wee soul just so frustrating that she's doing this 😭
Twice in 10 minutes would get my attention and want to make sure nothing is going on with a UTI, etc. She's very young yet so I wouldn't necessarily consider this a "mistake" in litter box training (from her POV) as she may just be confused and has eliminated on the bed before and assumes that's also OK.
If you're using clumping litter, do the urine clumps she produces look normal in size (not several small clumps, but a normal sized clump?)

ms2762

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LunaandNala LunaandNala How is this issue going for you? Have any of the suggestions above (or at the links) seemed to help? I am having the EXACT same issue with my new kitten. She's 7 months old and uses her litter box fine for peeing and pooping (and we clean it daily). But when we let our guard down she comes in and pees on the bed. Shoot! So we are locking her out of the bedroom for now (but it's hard – as you said, she just wants to snuggle!). We've also tried:
- Playing with her on the bed
- Feeding her on the bed
- Two litter boxes (though not one in the bedroom yet)
- Litter attractant (she's very curious about it – it does seem to do it's job bringing her to the box)
- Feliway (both the spray on the bed and the diffuser)
I need to buy some enzymatic cleaner and really give the bed a good cleaning. I also want to try the Dr. Elsey's litter. I'm at such a loss!
My one other guess is that we have a small dog (only a few pounds bigger than her) that she definitely holds her own with, but may be stressing her out? We were very careful with introducing the two, but she is a curious kitten who gets herself into trouble a bit.
Anyhow, this is the pits.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LunaandNala LunaandNala How is this issue going for you? Have any of the suggestions above (or at the links) seemed to help? I am having the EXACT same issue with my new kitten. She's 7 months old and uses her litter box fine for peeing and pooping (and we clean it daily). But when we let our guard down she comes in and pees on the bed. Shoot! So we are locking her out of the bedroom for now (but it's hard – as you said, she just wants to snuggle!). We've also tried:
- Feeding her on the bed
- Litter attractant (she's very curious about it – it does seem to do it's job bringing her to the box)
I need to buy some enzymatic cleaner and really give the bed a good cleaning. I also want to try the Dr. Elsey's litter. I'm at such a loss!
My one other guess is that we have a small dog (only a few pounds bigger than her) that she definitely holds her own with, but may be stressing her out? We were very careful with introducing the two, but she is a curious kitten who gets herself into trouble a bit.
Hi! Just curious, does your dog sleep on the bed too?

ms2762

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Just curious, does your dog sleep on the bed too?
He does – sometimes. The new kitten and dog have even dozed there together a bit, on occasion. (Back when we were letting her on the bed.) I guess it could be a territorial thing? But I've not seen that mentioned elsewhere (i.e. as an issue between cats/dogs & peeing).

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He does – sometimes. The new kitten and dog have even dozed there together a bit, on occasion. (Back when we were letting her on the bed.) I guess it could be a territorial thing? But I've not seen that mentioned elsewhere (i.e. as an issue between cats/dogs & peeing).
It's possible, but not a guarantee. It's always something worth looking into if everything else would fail. Has she had a urinalysis done to rule out a UTI?

ms2762

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not yet. We were just at the vet yesterday for one of her kitten shots. I regret not mentioning the pee – but I thought it was over. :( I'll have to give them a ring tomorrow and see if she can get tested.

LunaandNala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
- Feeding her on the bed
we were getting a lot better we had no peeing for almost a week then yesterday and today she peed again. so so frustrating.

i have the litter box in the room now and it definitely helps. it just always being very vidualant when she is on the bed playing and stopping her as soon as i think she is about to go.

I have had her urine checked and its all clear so I know with her its behavioural/territorial so its managing that. definitely get her urine checked to rule anything out you will need to take a sample to the vet that's what I had to do.

I bought a spray from pets at home and it helps a lot spray it on as soon as you dab dry the pee don't rub it.

i lock them both out my room when I'm not around and that has definitely helped the issue its just being on guard when shes allowed in the room.

Good Luck 🤞🤞🤞