Peeing in every container but the litter box.

ReginaldElton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, Nugget (1 yo neutered male) is using both litter boxes. We have one upstairs and down. The downstairs one was placed when we got Reggie (14 weeks intact male). We kept him in the bathroom for the first 3 nights with it until we were sure he was using it. Then for the next week, we took him on potty breaks to make sure he knew where it was at in the house. Some times he used it and sometimes not on those potty breaks. We stopped doing that when we saw him on his own going to use the litter box.

Over the last couple of days, Reggie has been passing the litter box to pee in the tub. This morning I poured salt in the tub to make it less appealing. So, he peed in the dog's food bowl instead. He is still pooping in the litter box.

I think this started when Nugget started using the downstairs litterbox. I really do not think it is a UTI issue. I think it is behavior and am stumped how to fix it.

Needless to say, Reggie is back on bathroom quarantine while I'm at work today. I don't want to risk the start of peeing on furniture.

TIA for any help!

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, he peed in the dog's food bowl instead.
🤣 Thanks for the laugh. I’m sure that was very unpleasant though, especially for the dog.

Yeah, you’re going to have to add a litter box. Urine is used as a scent marker, and Reggie does not want to pee in the same box as Nugget. Some cats are not bothered by this, some are. This is why the general rule of thumb is three boxes for two cats. Hopefully, Nugget won’t be a jerk and use both of them, but you’ll have to watch.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Placing that extra box close to the first one might help too, as ideally Nugget won't need to use both before Reggie can use one. At this juncture, I would be inclined to place a 4th box by the one upstairs too, just as a precaution.

Don't discount that Nugget might also be using both boxes to 'cover' Reggie's scent with his own. If not, then a 4th box upstairs might entice Nugget to use those instead of the ones downstairs.

This might also resolve itself once Reggie is neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ReginaldElton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping that it's just a male cat thing and once he is neutered it will help. But I don't think our vet will do him this young. We have plenty of room upstairs for another litter box. It's going to take some planning for another one down stairs. I have no idea where to put another one downstairs. My bedroom stays closed because there is no heat in there (by menopausal choice), the front room stays closed (unless we're home) because our cockatiel is in there, Laundry room stays closed because back door doesn't latch well, bathroom is tiny and putting one box in there we are already stepping over it, kitchen and living room the dogs have access to them... But I'll think of something.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm hoping that it's just a male cat thing and once he is neutered it will help. But I don't think our vet will do him this young. We have plenty of room upstairs for another litter box. It's going to take some planning for another one down stairs. I have no idea where to put another one downstairs. My bedroom stays closed because there is no heat in there (by menopausal choice), the front room stays closed (unless we're home) because our cockatiel is in there, Laundry room stays closed because back door doesn't latch well, bathroom is tiny and putting one box in there we are already stepping over it, kitchen and living room the dogs have access to them... But I'll think of something.
Neutering will certainly help. If he's over 2lbs, many vets may neuter him. Especially if there's a spay and neuter clinic in your area.

Salt can be dangerous for male cats, so please rinse his feet well if he goes in there.... though I wouldn't discourage it completely as it's easier to sanitize than cozy furniture....

Perhaps keep up with the potty breaks as well! Encouragement can go a long way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ReginaldElton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to ask about neutering at Reggie's next appointment. I did find a place for 2 more boxes and that seems do have done the trick. Thank you for the tip on the salt. I had no idea. I have rinced it out. So far, so good. Reggie is using the other boxes and Nugget hasn't claimed all of them!

Thank you all for your kind advice!