Pee once a day - to worry?

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After treating gastritis and a mild bladder inflammation, my 4 years old tomcat, minimized marking and restarted to pee on his litterbox. Once a day.

I have no memories about how many times he did it one or two years ago.

An internet search is inconclusive, returning, in brief: "it is normal what it is normal for your cat!"

The same told me the vets.

Any experience? Thank you!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Bring an adult cat, he has a stronger bladder and can hold pee longer and on top of that it also depends on how much water intake a day. If he drinks lots, probably he’ll per more often and smaller clumps.
If he drinks less water in a day, he may pee less maybe twice a day but in smaller clumps.

My boy use to pee 2 - 3 times a day when he was a little younger and now he’s coming to 4 1/2 years old, sometimes he pees twice a day (smaller clumps) and sometimes he pees only once a day (big clump).

If there’s no health issues, it’s quite normal to per once a day. The more water intake, the more pee or more times.

My boy is totally on wet food and has no drinking fountain and he doesn’t drink water in between meals except while having his meal and water intake is from his food.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try tempting him to drink more water by leaving cups of it around for him to find and seeing if that makes him pee more. I have several cats that only pee twice a day. Once a day for a cat with a history of mild bladder inflammation seems too little, I would encourage drinking in any way you can, even a little fountain or increase wet food or mix some water in it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. In addition to encouraging him to drink more, just start watching the frequency and quantity of urine. When Feeby was younger, she routinely only went once a day, but it was a HUGE amount. She has also always been a fan of drinking water though. Now, at her age (15+yo), she typically pees 2-3 times a day. She has a history with mild UTIs, but nothing recently (knock on wood).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

He pees maybe around 50 ml (I use silicate for the litterbox, so it is difficult to approximate). The vet we visited few days ago didn't worry to much. Echo was OK.
She said the new habit may come from relaxation after gastritis and bladder inflammation as well as from less marking (4 years old tomcat).

He drinks similar amounts as in the times he used to mark and pee everywhere.

He drinks only from one large bowl.

I am still a bit concerned.