Parting With My Friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHA117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I made the difficult decision to put my cat to sleep .Ive had him since he was a baby and he lived to the age of 12. Recently he had been having some GI issues , washing his paws in his water bowl(which he never did before ) not drinking much , not being able to eat, if he did he would constantly throw up . I took him to the vet and ended up spending $600 to get him cleaned out and they didn't find an underlying problem . He was good for a few weeks and then the problem happened again . He would usually just sleep most of the time, but still being able to walk pretty well. He hasn't pooped in weeks and was throwing up again. He lost some weight and I could feel his spine and he felt more boney . I decided that at this point I would put him to sleep , I didn't want to wait to the point where he was unable to move or to skinny . I arrived to the vet and she treated stitch for the constipation the last time, and seen he lost another pound , and agreed that this was probably a good route to go. I thought about maybe cleaning him ou again and charging it to my card , because I don have that type of money right now . When it was all said and done i couldn help but feel regret , I wish I could go back and just have him get cleaned out and give him another go . I don't know if I was right or wrong , but I miss him immensely .

UnicornV

Lucky Tuna :)
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of Stitch. I too had my beloved Eames put to sleep a few weeks ago and have lingering feelings of guilt. My vet told me that I was making the right decision (Eames had advanced cancer that I didn't detect until it was too late). She told me that cats hide their illness from an evolutionary standpoint, they need to appear strong and healthy in the wild. I still feel like a bad Mom somehow. Eames was 18 and I couldn't justify putting him through more painful procedures and also the tremendous cost. You loved your cat and he loved you, you gave him a great life. I am still in the mourning process even 3 weeks later. It will take time but I would try not to second guess yourself too much.

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dear Josha,

My sincere sympathies on the loss of Stitch. I know what it's like, having had to put down my 15-year old cat a few years ago who suffered from hyperthyroidism. It's hard to know when it's time, but please console yourself for knowing that your companion of 12 years is no longer in any pain or suffering. We had dogs who went through different types of GI issues so I know what that's like as well. Your cat was losing weight constantly. Things were not going well and not likely to get better. I watched our cat do the exact same thing - loss of weight and appetite - until I knew it was best for her to let her go. On the way to the vet every week for subcutaneous fluids during the last year or so that I had her, I always promised her I'd do the right thing for her when I knew it was time. In retrospect, I know now I actually waited too long to make good on that promise.

I know how you're feeling about wishing you had given him one more go-around, but you know deep down you would have been back doing it all again probably sooner rather than later. We just lost our dog a few months ago - had to put her to sleep for various complications associated with long-term liver issues, and, like you, I miss her greatly, but I know I did the right thing by letting her go. For what it's worth, I feel you did the right thing, and in your heart I think you know you did as well. Each day will get a little easier, but certainly all our deceased pets are forever in our memories. I'm always comforted by remembering the really good and fun times I had with any pet. It's so easy to dwell on the medications, procedures, vet appointments, etc., plus all the worry that goes along with when things start to take a turn for the worse. May you be comforted by your pleasant memories and the knowledge that you gave your cat a good home for 12 years. He was lucky to have had you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JOSHA117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of Stitch. I too had my beloved Eames put to sleep a few weeks ago and have lingering feelings of guilt. My vet told me that I was making the right decision (Eames had advanced cancer that I didn't detect until it was too late). She told me that cats hide their illness from an evolutionary standpoint, they need to appear strong and healthy in the wild. I still feel like a bad Mom somehow. Eames was 18 and I couldn't justify putting him through more painful procedures and also the tremendous cost. You loved your cat and he loved you, you gave him a great life. I am still in the mourning process even 3 weeks later. It will take time but I would try not to second guess yourself too much.
Thank you . Sorry for your loss as well . 18 is a beautiful age. I loved him like family before but never truly understood his impact until he was gone.

JOSHA117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear Josha,

My sincere sympathies on the loss of Stitch. I know what it's like, having had to put down my 15-year old cat a few years ago who suffered from hyperthyroidism. It's hard to know when it's time, but please console yourself for knowing that your companion of 12 years is no longer in any pain or suffering. We had dogs who went through different types of GI issues so I know what that's like as well. Your cat was losing weight constantly. Things were not going well and not likely to get better. I watched our cat do the exact same thing - loss of weight and appetite - until I knew it was best for her to let her go. On the way to the vet every week for subcutaneous fluids during the last year or so that I had her, I always promised her I'd do the right thing for her when I knew it was time. In retrospect, I know now I actually waited too long to make good on that promise.

I know how you're feeling about wishing you had given him one more go-around, but you know deep down you would have been back doing it all again probably sooner rather than later. We just lost our dog a few months ago - had to put her to sleep for various complications associated with long-term liver issues, and, like you, I miss her greatly, but I know I did the right thing by letting her go. For what it's worth, I feel you did the right thing, and in your heart I think you know you did as well. Each day will get a little easier, but certainly all our deceased pets are forever in our memories. I'm always comforted by remembering the really good and fun times I had with any pet. It's so easy to dwell on the medications, procedures, vet appointments, etc., plus all the worry that goes along with when things start to take a turn for the worse. May you be comforted by your pleasant memories and the knowledge that you gave your cat a good home for 12 years. He was lucky to have had you!
Your post really comforted me. I wish I had the means to continue care just to have more time , but with his already declining condition I thought it best to go before it took its toll.

UnicornV

Lucky Tuna :)
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you . Sorry for your loss as well . 18 is a beautiful age. I loved him like family before but never truly understood his impact until he was gone.
Three4rd has a great idea, focusing on the the love and friendship that you shared with Stitch. I am trying to focus on the happiness that we all shared with sweet Eames. He brought so much love to our family <3

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Dear JOSHA117, we are so
A3D9A372-C2C4-4C27-89D5-E559EFF028A0.gif
to hear about Stitch :alright: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:. You did all you could for him. We understand the sadness you are going ththrough and we hope that you’ll get by well soon.

If you are ready, you can start a memorial thread for Stitch here :-Crossing the Bridge

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's amazing how - in the midst of difficult medical issues and how long some of that can go on - we can start to forget what it was like when things were going real well. Our recently deceased dog (and also the cat a few years before) had a very complex regimen of medication throughout the day, and had such difficulty going outside due to problems with her eyesight. You get so wrapped up in the routine of medical care and all that goes with that and start to forget when things were more relaxed and enjoyable. Don't get me wrong..it is ALL done out of love...the good and the bad times...but after we had to put our dog to sleep some of the memories of how things used to be started to come back almost within days. It really helped me with the grieving process.

Unicorn...18 is indeed an amazing age for a cat. You sure must have done good things for Eames over the years! He, too, was so lucky to have you!

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear companion. I admire your courage to make such a difficult decision. Stitch is now in perfect condition in a perfect place. We experience emotional torment when they leave because we love them. No amount of days together could ever be enough. We are so lucky to share the days we do get, and those are with us forever. I wish for peace and good memories to fill your soul.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you lost your friend. I think just about everyone feels guilt when they choose to put a pet to sleep, no matter how elderly the pet is. In 2016 I lost 2 of my favorites. My biggest regret about one, was the extent to which I went to treat her. In the end her situation was mysterious and medically complex. She sure didn't enjoy the various medications twice a day and I feel badly that her last months were spent with some discomfort in having to take the medications. If I had it to do over again, I would have let her go much sooner.

JOSHA117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry you lost your friend. I think just about everyone feels guilt when they choose to put a pet to sleep, no matter how elderly the pet is. In 2016 I lost 2 of my favorites. My biggest regret about one, was the extent to which I went to treat her. In the end her situation was mysterious and medically complex. She sure didn't enjoy the various medications twice a day and I feel badly that her last months were spent with some discomfort in having to take the medications. If I had it to do over again, I would have let her go much sooner.
That's how I felt. HE hated the medications, and I know the treatment the first time wasn't pleasant either , as much as we'd like to spend as much time as possible with them , it's better off letting them go while they have some quality and dignity left. You gave her the best care you could of . Life is to short for all of us, we all are blessed to have these wonderful experience, and I'm sure they felt the same way .

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We'll close the thread now out of respect for your loss. So sorry to hear this news.

Stitch's Crossing the Bridge thread is here: Stitch

Status
Not open for further replies.