Panleukopenia Recovering Cat On The Edge Of Dying

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
also i just tried force feeding him, he is biting on his teeth its like he is chewing his own teeth and a loud grinding niuse is resulting..he cant swallow either

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. I think you know where this is headed, and it crushes me to even refer to it. I am going to share an article from this site (see link below) about things you might want to consider. I wish I could offer more to you and Pablo...

When Is It Time? - Making The Difficult Decision
we have him in a soft bed in a warm environment i just hope he passes quitely with no pain...

my other concern now is about my other cats that i kept at my sister's ever since pablo was sick... how can i clean the environment to have them back? i mean almost all my clothes have made contact with pablo

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am having trouble trying to find a 'list' of things you will need to do, so you might want to see if one of the vets you were dealing with has like a 'check list' of cleaning requirements. I will touch on the things I am aware of - but, you probably already have a good idea of what sanitizing is going to entail. I really do urge to see if a vet can give you a detailed guide to go by.

First off, your other cats - have they gotten all their distemper shots? If not, that is the first order of business. But, please do NOT bring those other cats into your home without the proper series of vaccinations.

Secondly, I do know it would be wise for you to discard of ALL of Pablo's things (litterbox, water/food dishes, toys) - of course, at the right time...

All bedding, clothes - anything that can go into the washing machine must be washed with good detergent and possibly hydrogen peroxide.

All hard surfaces should be cleaned with bleach. Carpeting/etc. should be steamed cleaned - if there is a particular solution to use, I am not sure.

If for any reason you think Pablo is suffering before he passes, I beg you to consider taking him to one of the vets that can make it easier for him.

My heart is with you and Pablo.

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today is day 27 in panleukopenia recovery , pablo a 6 months old british shorthair had relapsed really hard after have been doing well on day 17.
He has been refusing to eat for 3 days today is 4th day i tried any possible food brand/combination ever and weve got to the point that if i force feed him he throws it all up 1 minute later . He hasnt moved from his place for 4 days he lays down there all day long and it seems like he lost the ability to use his back legs and his right hand is always contracted his nails always out...all vets told me nothing we could do and he survived 27 daus because of our extensive care ...

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I am so sorry that your sweet boy is going through this :( In the past, feline distemper (panleuck) was thought untreatable but our cats (when they were kittens) sometimes survived. They were the tamer ones that we could give herb tea and broth.
Right now, though, your boy is in a critical stage. The nausea prevents him from drinking and eating. And 3 days is a very long time so you can try to continue treating but please keep the comfort and wellbeing of kitty foremost in your decisions.
For home treatment, try rubbing a little white karo corn syrup or honey on his gums. Some people use unflavored diabetic gel but all I have ever seen sold is citrus flavored. That will bring the blood sugar back up. Next is to rehydrate him. SubQ fluids with a needle are best but the old-fashioned, back country way is to dilute unflavored Pedialyte* with good water (not treated tap water because of the harsh chemicals- instead, use filtered, bottled or good well water for the sake of his kidneys) and give to him via eye dropper, in very tiny amounts and in short time increments (I start with about 1/8 teaspoon every 3 minutes). As you get more fluids into him & when he doesn't retch, you can gradually increase both the dose and the time interval to 1ml every 15 -20 minutes.
And please ask your vet or consult an online vet about using safe herbs. Not all herbs that are fine for people and dogs are safe for cats. Red raspberry leaf and marshmallow root are excellent for easing the nausea and soothing for the irritated mucous membranes and digestive tract. Slippery elm bark is also great; it is often sold in drops but tincture uses alcohol for a preservative so be sure to dilute to just a few drops per cup of pedialyte. Red raspberry leaf is used for morning sickness so is the easiest to find.
And my vet now gives me Clavamox or amoxicillin and I have had several instances of sole surviving kitties because they got antibiotics that their littermate did not. Panleuck is a virus but the bacteria also thrive in the dehydrated environment caused by the disease's symptoms.
Here is an interesting article:
Successful Treatment of Feline Panleukopenia: A Guideline For Rescuers and Veterinarians, Part I | SciTechnol

*recipe for homemade pedialyte is at www.kitten-rescue.com

Sending prayers and vibes for your dear boy's quick recovery! :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Status
Not open for further replies.