Panleukopenia Infected Environment

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello guys.
So i oosted before about the infection of my cat pablo with distemper whobwas recovering..sadly pablo passed away 4 days ago.
My other cat mia made contact with pablo 4 days before the symptoms started(34 days ago) with pablo and she didnt get sick at all.
1 day after pablo passed i used 9 liters of bleach to clean everysingle spot ever in the house even toothbrush handles and under table surfaces and the lowersides of chairs literly everything in the house was bleached with 3 times the recommended dosage of bleach needed and i want to stress on "Everything was bleached" carpets bed sheets pellows even the surfaces my cat never made contact with.
My question is can i bring my cat mia back to the house tomorow? She is 7 months old and vaccinated (pablo was vaccinated too but still catched the disease probably from his mother at birth, he was vaccinated at 6 weeks and symptoms showed on 5th month, he has always had difficulties chewing food)

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never experienced distemper in the home. Sorry I can't personally advise you about when to bring Mia home. I'd call the vet and leave a message for Pablo's doctor. This is the kind of question they should be able to answer over the phone without an office visit. Just make sure to have the doctor call you back directly so you can go over what you have done to clean and ask all your questions.

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello guys.
So i oosted before about the infection of my cat pablo with distemper whobwas recovering..sadly pablo passed away 4 days ago.
My other cat mia made contact with pablo 4 days before the symptoms started(34 days ago) with pablo and she didnt get sick at all.
1 day after pablo passed i used 9 liters of bleach to clean everysingle spot ever in the house even toothbrush handles and under table surfaces and the lowersides of chairs literly everything in the house was bleached with 3 times the recommended dosage of bleach needed and i want to stress on "Everything was bleached" carpets bed sheets pellows even the surfaces my cat never made contact with.
My question is can i bring my cat mia back to the house tomorow? She is 7 months old and vaccinated (pablo was vaccinated too but still catched the disease probably from his mother at birth, he was vaccinated at 6 weeks and symptoms showed on 5th month, he has always had difficulties chewing food)
I’m so sorry for your lost
RIP pablo :sniffle:
I wish i can help but i’d wait more longer I don't want my kitty get sick too
That must be really hard :bawling:
Sending all my support :alright:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello again. I am so sorry about Pablo. If you would like you can post in the Crossing the Bridge section about him and even share pictures of him.

I take it you did all of the stuff I recommended for cleaning in your previous post? The one thing I am not sure I mentioned is that if you have any carpeting, it probably should be steamed cleaned with the temperature going above 120 degrees (50C). But, it sounds like you bleached the carpeting??

More information that might be helpful as you decide when to bring Mia back to your home:

Considerations
If your kitten or cat has already been exposed to these viruses, the vaccination won't protect him. He must be healthy in order to receive the vaccine series. If your cat is exposed to these viruses after he is vaccinated, he could come down with a mild form of the disease. Protect your cat by keeping him indoors and away from unvaccinated felines.

Schedule
Kittens receive their first FVRCP vaccination between the ages of six to nine weeks. They get their second vaccination between the age of nine to 12 weeks, the third between the ages of 12 to 15 weeks, and the fourth one between the ages of 16 to 18 weeks. After that, they receive a booster one year later, then boosters every three years. Older cats who have never been vaccinated, or whose vaccination history is unknown, receive an initial vaccination and then another a month later. They then go on the "one year booster, followed by a vaccination every three years" schedule. If your cat receives a shot, it is given in the right shoulder.

Blood Testing
You can have your cat's blood tested to determine his antibody levels against the viruses from which the FVRCP inoculation protects him. Some cats retain immunity for longer than three years. If your cat doesn't go outside or come into contact with cats of unknown vaccination status, you might want to consider the blood testing. One drawback is that the test results can take several days to get back to your vet. If your cat's antibody levels are low, he'll need to make another trip to the vet for his vaccination.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are you doing?
we are feeling a better ,i still wake up sometimes thinking i heard pablo throw up. and we still walk carefully not to step over him around the house. but the depression is turning into acceptance that he is no longer in pain. yes we bleached everything, you can say we submerged the house 1 meter high in bleach 3 times last week. thats how much we bleach every single area so im pretty sure no resedue of the virus are left . we will wait 4 months then adopt a siamese british shorthair mix cat! and mia will be coming back next month after her second shot. she is 8 months now almost 9