Panleukopenia Hit This House...

isenhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

After fostering a kitten which, unfortunately, passed under my care it was later discovered that he had Panleukopenia.

A major concern I have is whether or not there's a way to truly tell if I've done a good job in getting rid of it so I don't live in fear that there are patches creeping around the house. From what I understand Panleukopenia has an incubation period of 4 - 6 days, can range from bad to fatal, last several weeks and can lie dormant for over a year(ish) waiting to come in contact with a host.

Aside from bleach bombing, well, everything and cleaning things he may have touched is there anything else I can realistically do? What about cleaning carpet? Can a dog act as a carrier to other cats which aren't vaccinated?

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have other cats now? If so, I would reccommend taking them into the vet, for vaccinations.

After bleaching everything, you will probably have to throw out any soft objects the sick kitten touched (toys, cat trees, beds).

I have heard that dogs can't pass on panleukopenia to cats (I suppose that's why they call it feline panleukopenia and canine parvo).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isenhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have other cats now? If so, I would reccommend taking them into the vet, for vaccinations.

After bleaching everything, you will probably have to throw out any soft objects the sick kitten touched (toys, cat trees, beds).

I have heard that dogs can't pass on panleukopenia to cats (I suppose that's why they call it feline panleukopenia and canine parvo).
I have two cats who were 98% out of the way during foster care but tracked across the same floor (laminated, some carpet) which I hit with bleach. While I am certain the kitten had clean feet (as far as urine and feces are concerned) I can't be entirely sure of that since we're talking a microscopic-scale virus. I went ahead and bleached a chair which my two often use which he was also on and threw out all the bedding which came with him. Fortunately, all his stuff was in a nice package so it was easy to round up.

My two girls are indoor cats which is why I have not vaccinated them but will be contacting the vet tomorrow to see what I can do but at least, should things go south, I am aware of what may happen and am ready for treatment rather than allow it to ignorantly linger on thinking it isn't serious until it's too late.

What a head ache.

Also, I know that parvo and panleuk are separate concerns when it comes to dogs and cats but mine is whether or not a dog can, say, step in a stray infected area and his foot becomes a carrier region. My brother often brings his dog over and I'd hate to have it take something home with him even though his cats are fully vaccinated.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'd ask my Vet about the cat/dog issue. Some diiseases are strictly one species. (even though it's called something different for dogs, it might actually be the same disease :dunno: )

Were your girls never even given their kitten boosters? If there were, they might be safe. If they are adults and they get it, they might still be able to survive it :vibes::vibes::vibes:. If you are going to continue to foster, I highly recommend you vaccinate them. I know it's a touchy subject, but since they are being exposes to other cats/kittens being fostered, their lives may truly depend on those vaccinations.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I
Were your girls never even given their kitten boosters? If there were, they might be safe. If they are adults and they get it, they might still be able to survive it :vibes::vibes::vibes:. If you are going to continue to foster, I highly recommend you vaccinate them. I know it's a touchy subject, but since they are being exposes to other cats/kittens being fostered, their lives may truly depend on those vaccinations.
I agree with this, an adult cat might have much higher chances to survive this virus.
I will add the advice not to foster other kittens for a long time because your home is potentially contaminated.
Some years ago I rehomed a kitten to a family who called me a week later because that kitten was sick. She had panleukopenia and she died four days later :(
After some time the same family asked to find a new kitten for them and I found her. They took her home, she died a week later from panleukopenia.
They assured me that they had cleaned the house thoroughly and thrown away most items, but it seemed it wasn't enough...

tina89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel sorry to hear that,but it doesn't your fault.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its said you can happen to carry home this virus on the soles of your shoes. So I presume a dog could too, being physically carrier, but not infected himself.

Im not sure what bleatcher you used. Is it the H2O2 hair bleatcher? I have seen on horse shelfes they do have a potent antiviral / antibacterial, powder to solve in water. Here in Sweden its called for Virkon. The brandname may be different in other countries, but this is surely to buy also elsewhere. As stables must be cleaned thoroughly now and then - several of horse diseases are viral.
I presume there is similiar regarding cow stables too.

So you buy one of two cans and can wash off everything, with not too great costs... I presume the shops of type Tractor Supply do carry this.