Pancreatitis- When Is It Time To Let Go?

AshleyC0421

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Marionette (Mare for short) is around 12 years old. She was diagnosed with possible pancreatitis back in October. She stopped eating, drinking, was lethargic, etc. Anything she did eat or drink instantly came back up. Her overall bloodwork looked OK, but she was clearly in pain. Over the course of a week she was given some apatite stimulants, antibiotics, anti nausea meds, and subq fluids multiple times. She finally pulled through and has been fine since.

Two weeks ago (Jan. 21st) the symptoms appeared again. The vet again gave me some fluids, martazipine, cerenia, and amoxicillin. Nothing worked and after two days she had lost nearly an entire pound. They hospitalized her and gave her around the clock care for two days before they decided she was strong enough to come home (the 25). Things were good once she got home. Started eating again and got her "pep" back. She's been wonderful this whole week.

This morning she refused to eat again. I got some more martazipine and cerenia from my vet, but it's like we are back at square one. Anything I do try to force feed her comes back up. She clearly feels awful. She's always been an affectionate cat, but now she is velcroed to me. Anytime I leave my bedroom she hides in my closet. She NEVER goes in my closet. Also, she wont stop purring. Its not her usual purr either. It's a deep rumbling purr. Not a good purr. :(

My vet hasn't suggested euthanasia yet, but I know the warning signs are there. I haven't stopped crying all day. It physically hurts me so much to think about. I don't know how much more is fair to her. It was one thing if this happened every few months, but it's only been one week and it's flaring up again. I'd do anything to help her, but I don't know what else to do. I don't want her to be in pain, but I don't want to let her go without knowing I did everything I could. I need some advice.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about Mare and relate well having been down the rocky Pancreatitis road with four cats.

Pancreatitis does not usually occur in a vacuum; it is a symptom resulting from something chronic. In my case it was diabetes once, and IBD three times.

I believe there is something going on in or around your cat's GI system. An ultrasound should be done as soon as possible. This may reveal enlarged pancreas, thickening of GI lining, liver and/or gall bladder issues.
Results of the ultrasound will enable the vet to target appropriate diagnostic and treatment options. Your vet may also recommend a biopsy.

Before you give up, I would at least try to get a proper diagnosis of the underlying chronic condition. It may be something which is at least treatable. I would suggest you see a good Internal Medicine Vet as they are the ones most experienced with this.

I wish you and Mare all the best!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please consider a feeding tube. It sounds drastic but it can save her life. And I promise you, the guardian minds the tube more than the cat. There’s no reason she can’t eat on her own with the tube in place as she feels up to it. Best of all, it makes administering medicines that much easier.
Feeding Tubes For Cats

I agree with the previous post. Chronic pancreatitis is often carryover inflammation from some other process. If you don’t treat that, you won’t get very far with the panc.

Is she getting B-12? She absolutely must be getting B-12 if she’s losing weight. Plus my Krista always comes back perkier from a B-12 shot.

What is she eating? Or what was she eating?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Welcome to TCS although I am sorry that we are meeting under stressful circumstances. You have definitely come to the right place -:an international community of caring cat fans and guardians with a vast array of knowledge gleaned from an amazing spectrum of sources, from advanced education to primitive traditional techniques to ordinary experiences.
I wholeheartedly agree with seeking an ultrasound, optimally with an internist. I don't know your relationship with your vet but you may need to emphasize how you prioritize euthanasia. Some owners are adamant to not let go while others prefer to put the cat's comfort first, whether it be advanced treatments or a kindly passing, also depending on financial abilities; if the former, some vets are not clear enough on what should be done because they fear upsetting the owner too much (I just went through this with a friend who was in denial and her poor cat was forced to linger for almost 2 weeks, drinking little & not eating, before finally giving up the ghost - the friend tries to convince herself that dying during sleep was peaceful, refusing to acknowledge that the cat was probably slipping into coma - all because the vet was vague about when to euth.)
I am sure that you will decide well for your dear Mare. The fact that she has rallied before gives me optimism that you may have more options than previously considered. You could also consult a holistic vet about trying diet and adding herbs (perhaps ask about slippery elm bark and marshmallow root). Please keep us updated on Mare's treatment and condition
:vibes::vibes::heartshape::grouphug::hearthrob::redheartpump::vibes:

Dudethecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Marionette (Mare for short) is around 12 years old. She was diagnosed with possible pancreatitis back in October. She stopped eating, drinking, was lethargic, etc. Anything she did eat or drink instantly came back up. Her overall bloodwork looked OK, but she was clearly in pain. Over the course of a week she was given some apatite stimulants, antibiotics, anti nausea meds, and subq fluids multiple times. She finally pulled through and has been fine since.

Two weeks ago (Jan. 21st) the symptoms appeared again. The vet again gave me some fluids, martazipine, cerenia, and amoxicillin. Nothing worked and after two days she had lost nearly an entire pound. They hospitalized her and gave her around the clock care for two days before they decided she was strong enough to come home (the 25). Things were good once she got home. Started eating again and got her "pep" back. She's been wonderful this whole week.

This morning she refused to eat again. I got some more martazipine and cerenia from my vet, but it's like we are back at square one. Anything I do try to force feed her comes back up. She clearly feels awful. She's always been an affectionate cat, but now she is velcroed to me. Anytime I leave my bedroom she hides in my closet. She NEVER goes in my closet. Also, she wont stop purring. Its not her usual purr either. It's a deep rumbling purr. Not a good purr. :(

My vet hasn't suggested euthanasia yet, but I know the warning signs are there. I haven't stopped crying all day. It physically hurts me so much to think about. I don't know how much more is fair to her. It was one thing if this happened every few months, but it's only been one week and it's flaring up again. I'd do anything to help her, but I don't know what else to do. I don't want her to be in pain, but I don't want to let her go without knowing I did everything I could. I need some advice.
Mare sounds like a real fighter. My cat "Dude" is fighting right now as I write. I'm sorry I have no advice for you. Friday Dude and I were playing, and winking at one another, and now he's fighting for his life. It came out of no where. Blind sided us. I love my cat very much and dude knows it.