[packable] Outdoor enclosure ideas

SillyCalico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to find something I can pop up in a yard or on porch so my cat can safely get outside and enjoy the birds and fresh air. She doesn’t have many teeth left, so I worry if she gets loose. She’s a rescue and I don’t think she’s ever been outside (other than me taking her out while holding her or in a backpack-carrier).
I’ve been looking, but just haven’t found something that goes “that’s it!”. Finding things that seem once you put it up it has to stay, too large, or that mesh like fabric that I’m sure my cat could scratch her way out if she wanted.
So I wanted to ask you all for your suggestions and ideas. I’d like to find something secure but collapsible and reasonable size so it can be packed up to go.
Thank you for any input!

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got this at a recommendation here, and I LOVE it.

OUTBACK JACK Happy Habitat Cat Playpen Tent - Chewy.com

It's very easy to put up and down, and folded, it fits in the plastic chest I have on my deck.

It is mesh, and my kitty can and does scratch at it to stretch, but it hasn't torn, even though we use it almost every day.

Cannot recommend highly enough.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Search Google Images for "portable catio" and you get tons of images that you can click on for more info. Many are pop up tent-like structures.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got this at a recommendation here, and I LOVE it.

OUTBACK JACK Happy Habitat Cat Playpen Tent - Chewy.com

It's very easy to put up and down, and folded, it fits in the plastic chest I have on my deck.

It is mesh, and my kitty can and does scratch at it to stretch, but it hasn't torn, even though we use it almost every day.

Cannot recommend highly enough.

This looks like a great idea and would probably work for many people.

I would still keep an eye on my cat if it was in the tent. The tent may hold the cat inside, but it might not keep predators out. We have to foxes, coyotes, racoons and potentially dogs in my neighbourhood that may pose a threat.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This looks like a great idea and would probably work for many people.

I would still keep an eye on my cat if it was in the tent. The tent may hold the cat inside, but it might not keep predators out. We have to foxes, coyotes, racoons and potentially dogs in my neighbourhood that may pose a threat.
Yup. I have mine out on my urban rooftop deck, so there are no predators big enough to swoop her away, but I still only use the tent when I'm outside with her or when I'm inside at my desk, which looks directly out onto the deck. I don't treat it like a catio where she can be totally unsupervised.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to find something I can pop up in a yard or on porch so my cat can safely get outside and enjoy the birds and fresh air. She doesn’t have many teeth left, so I worry if she gets loose. She’s a rescue and I don’t think she’s ever been outside (other than me taking her out while holding her or in a backpack-carrier).
I’ve been looking, but just haven’t found something that goes “that’s it!”. Finding things that seem once you put it up it has to stay, too large, or that mesh like fabric that I’m sure my cat could scratch her way out if she wanted.
So I wanted to ask you all for your suggestions and ideas. I’d like to find something secure but collapsible and reasonable size so it can be packed up to go.
Thank you for any input!
A very nice thought for your sweet cat! catioshowcase.com has links and pictorials but most of these are quite grand. If you search "modular cat enclosures" or "catios" you will find lots and lots of enclosures to fit every budget and need. Or, if you or someone you know is knowledgeable of carpentry, you can build your own to your specifications. My ex and I did. We had some attached to our fence, a couple to the house, a modular one, and one that built out from the house, using existing patio roof and beams. Strongly suggest something that is quite stout so others can't get in, and that you supervise while she's in it. I used to spend quite a bit of time in the patio catio, which was quite large.
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_1282.JPG

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that it may look unattractive, but adding an extra layer of plastic safety fencing (like that used at construction sites, usually in bright orange or green) on the exterior of the enclosure will help keep out roaming dogs.