Overwhelmed

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
NJC- I know someone in Fresno who does rescue work. I am going to get in touch with her to see if she knows of anyone who can provide you with more help. I can't promise anything as she is not a personal friend but I will try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NJC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!! I appreciate that. Fingers crossed...

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My fingers are crossed too. I sent her a text right after I posted so.....she is a very nice and dedicated person. I actually adopted my cat Farrah (center cat in profile picture) from her. I live in San Jose but she brings rescues this far so over the past couple of years we are in touch periodically.

• Purraise
Reactions: NJC

NJC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried Alley Cats. They didn't have anyone in Fresno.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, I have heard from my contact she said to contact Fresno Humane ( not humane society) 760 West Nielson Ave. 93706 (559) 600-7387 [email protected]- she says they are awesome. I hope they are!- I also put out feelers to my friends in cat rescue. You never know who may know someone.

NJC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I sent them an email ( the first one came back, I added an e to human and so far it hasn't come back) and I will f/ u with a phone call tomorrow. Thanks so much!!!!
Your cats are beautiful. Very regal

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks- love my kitties! Farrah came from a hoarder in Fresno. That is funny about the e-mail because I looked them up and it is with an e on the end. They also have a facebook page- Fresno Humane Animal Services. Not to be confused with Fresno Humane Society. I truly hope all goes well.- Definitely call them because with kitten season here no doubt they are busy and an e-mail may go unanswered for awhile.

NJC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called Fresno Humane and left a message. No response to my call or email yet, I will call again tomorrow.
Our neighbor is replacing all their fences so it is loud and dusty. I moved the feeding station to the other side of the driveway. Both moms and kittens are under our trailer now and the kittens are staying under there were I can't reach them. Have you ever seen mama cats coparent? They bump each other at feeding time and eat out of the same bowl even though I have 2 bowls.
It's hot today and I need to go feed them again and give them fresh water.
Maybe I will get some good news tomorrow...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are the kittens' eyes doing? Have you been able to clean them enough to keep them open?

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope you do hear from them soon, keep calling them. Please try the Cat House on the Kings too.I have never seen two mommy cats co-parent but I do know that female cats do this. It must be very cute. Thank you for taking care of these little creatures.Please keep us informed.

NJC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a long conversation with Fresno Humane. At first they just told me no, there is nothing they can do. I live in a county island and they only serve Fresno proper. I am in the spca area and they are killing 100+ kittens a day. All shelters are full and adoptions for friendly kittens is slow.
I started crying and she said the only thing Iccould do is trap them in a few months and get them fixed for TNR. I asked how can I do that on my own and explained they have goopy eyes and I can't get to them to clean then anymore. She talked to her boss and came back and said if I trap them now and bring them to their shelter they will give them an antibiotic and keep them until they are big enough to be neutered. I will need to pay them and then pick them up and release them here when they are done. They suggest buying traps at Harbor Freight or borrowing some from them but they are out right now -may get some next week.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am glad they will give you some help. Do you have the name of the person that told you that? I ask because I would not want you to go thru all of this and take the kittens in and be told they can't take them.If you don't have names call back and get the name of the person you spoke with and the name of the person who okayed your bringing the cats in..
Have you called Cat House on the Kings? Give them a try too. If they can't take the cats they may have traps you can borrow.
If I were you I would get on the phone to every rescue and ask to borrow traps. If any pet stores around you have on-site adoption enclosures many of them probably have traps there and will let you borrow them.
You could also see which groups are having adoption events this weekend and go to them and talk with people running the events. In rescue sometimes showing up and speaking to people can get you a long way. You could also go into Craigslist under the pet section and post asking to borrow traps.
You are a saint, thank you for caring so much for these babies....btw, if you have never used traps you can go to youtube 'how to use a cat trap' and you will learn how, it is easy and that was how I learned. Thanks for updating me. Fingers crossed for you!

NJC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did get the name of the person at Fresno Humane and she said she put my name in their computer.
I did check with Cat House and they really didn't have anything to offer. They are a good 30 minutes away in Parlier and charge a big deposit to borrow cages . I borrowed one already and but it is big and I don't know if the kittens would set it off. I will look at the you tube video because I don't know how to use them. How many traps do you think I need?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kittens are too light to set off the trap, you can tie a string on a water bottle and set the water bottle
under the trap door. Wait for the kitten to go in the trap and then pull the string to pull the bottle away. Then cover the trap with a cloth and whisk it away before the other cats have noticed. Take the kitten in your house to a bathroom where you can scruff the kitten to pull it out of the trap and put it into some kind of carrier and then go trap the next one. You can get by with just one trap this way.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I
I did get the name of the person at Fresno Humane and she said she put my name in their computer.
I did check with Cat House and they really didn't have anything to offer. They are a good 30 minutes away in Parlier and charge a big deposit to borrow cages . I borrowed one already and but it is big and I don't know if the kittens would set it off. I will look at the you tube video because I don't know how to use them. How many traps do you think I need?

I don't know how many traps you need. I have only trapped one cat in my life. All of my volunteer work has been with shelters.
Surrya ( above post) has a suggestion on how you could use just one.I am sure other people can also advise. If not I find Youtube has instructions on almost anything, even rescues that cannot help you probably have people that would advise you.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any Tractor Supply stores in your area? I'm not sure if they're just a Midwestern store. But if so, they have a 2-pack of traps---one raccoon/adult cat size and one squirrel/kitten sized---for around $25. They aren't the sturdiest of traps but I caught a raccoon in one of mine and he couldn't get out (although he bent it up :/) so I guess they're good enough. That's the best price I've been able to find.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Box traps seem easy to make if you're decent with crafting and web/Youtube instructions. Their down side is you have to be present to trip the trap. The upside is you can catch more at once, perhaps even the mom and all her kitties in one swoop. The materials you can get at your local big box hardware store.

I recall a Youtube video of one made by a vet. She used PVC pipe to easily construct one. Another I saw made of PVC, possibly the same, was collapsible, making it easy transport, carry and assemble on site.