Overwhelmed

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cats are used to getting right up close to you when you feed them, you may be able to catch them just using a carrier. If you have one of those big dog carriers, you just put a bunch of food in there and shut the door after them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NJC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I have been looking on you tube on how to use the traps and how to trap. I plan to try to trap them on Monday morning when the shelter is open several days in a row in case it takes me awhile. I bought several cans of tuna in oil for bait. I like the dog crate idea for the moma cats, they are bumping my legs and each other when I feed them. Think good thoughts!!:)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Best of luck! I hope it goes well next week when you start trapping. Thank you for caring about these cats and kittens. :)

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I have been looking on you tube on how to use the traps and how to trap. I plan to try to trap them on Monday morning when the shelter is open several days in a row in case it takes me awhile. I bought several cans of tuna in oil for bait. I like the dog crate idea for the moma cats, they are bumping my legs and each other when I feed them. Think good thoughts!!:)
The dog crate is a good idea. I should have thought of that for the momma cats. The one cat I trapped was actually finally caught because I used a huge dog crate . I had tried cat trap for a month but, she would not fall for it. Finally I set up a huge dog crate with food, litter box and bed.When she went in I moved fast and locked the door. I had to borrow my sons truck to transport her in.Good luck to you!

NJC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:winkcat::hearthrob::thanks:Thank you everyone for the support and great ideas. Here's an update... 2 of the kittens looked like they were losing ground and not growing with goopy eyes closed. I hung around at feeding time for days and I caught them. I have them inside in an xl mesh dog crate. I've been washing their eyes with boric acid/saline and using antibiotic ointment. Today one of them has wide open eyes! In 2 days they are using the litter box, eating chicken baby food ,KMR and water. They are playing together and are interested in toys. They let us pick them up and they purr. And yes my son and husband are smitten and they are holding them. My husband even took off Monday to help trap the rest.

NJC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The dogs on the other hand are banished to the backyard and they are not so happy...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! This is fantastic news! :)

Is there a way to put the kittens in a room so that the dogs can come in once in awhile?

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
NJC- Great news!!! You ( and your husband) are doing a huge good deed. Thank you so much for your kind heart.

NJC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update....we trapped momma cat #1 in the dog crate this morning. I almost had the other momma cat too but I had to close the door because she spooked the other one and I would have lost both. I tried a cat trap with #2 momma and she walked half way in and then ran off. I took # 1momma cat to the vet to be spayed, Hope Foundation wouldn't take her because she wasn't in a cat trap.I got back and I trapped the daddy cat in the cat trap and took him to the same vet to be neutered. . I pick them both up tomorrow.
I will try for some more tomorrow....
The two kittens I have are from # 2 momma so the shelter would only take the momma along with the kittens. I'm tired...

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I get that your family is mad at the same time this is a lesson that can be carried to give everyone in your home more compassion. There is not one person who has taken in a stray that has not been overwhelmed in what they have done. I will make someone furious here but if the ONLY thing you can do is take them to a shelter where they will most likely be euthanized it's still better than the life they're living and bring more suffering into the world. Understand you are taking more responsibility for these cats than their owners who dumped them outside intact to breed and be exposed to dogs, cars, mean humans, breeding and disease.
Blue Dawn dishwashing liquid is excellent and safe to use on kittens and cats for the fleas. Be aware that even at 4 weeks they can be very aggressive and bite and scratch. The mother cats will go into heat soon again and start the cycle over if you don't find a way to stop them.
I'm sad but mad as hell also. It seems someone is always cleaning up the kitten mess and paying for it but the people creating it.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope things went well today. I can't believe they would only take a cat in a trap.Just wanted to extend encouragement.As others have said, taking in strays is stressful and overwhelming but, I think you will always be glad you did. Your kids will always remember it too and, always be proud of their mom.

NJC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's the latest. Momma cat #1 and Popa cat had their surgeries at the vet and were released today. Momma cat was reunited with her friends and I made a bed for her under the trailer and she is resting. Popa ran for the hills.
Yesterday, I took 3 kittens to Fresno Humane and they reused to take them. I talked to the woman whom I made the plan with and she denied she ever told me they would help. I was told their shelter is full. They use Hope to do their spay and neuter and say they have to be over 2 lbs and must have clear eyes. These kittens have a lot of eye discharge and they are feral,they hiss and try to bite and scratch. I continued to press for help and got no where. I did get them to give the kittens an antibiotic injection and I took the kittens back home.
This morning after the other 2 were released I caught another kitten and Momma Cat #2!
I took Momma Cat 2 to the vet and she is there now. I put the newly caught kitten with its littermates and they are in the dog crate . I have the other 2 that I continue to hand feed in another cage. There are still 2-3 kittens under the trailer...

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Shelters and rescues are overwhelmed it's kitten season.
Hey my county doesn't have a mandatory S/N and someone can get a tag for an unaltered pet for 15 bucks. We're just spinning our wheels. BTW public shelters are supposed to engage the community in fixing overpopulation issues. It's a part of rural life that sucks.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that lady jerked you around. They may have just put those kittens down, so it's probably just as well. At least you are making some progress. After you tame those kittens you may have more luck calling around for someone to take them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, thanks so much for what you are doing. Thank goodness they at least gave the kittens a shot of antibiotics. :)

NJC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could use advice (again):dunno:
We trapped another kitten this morning. This is a grey tabby that I have never handled and it is hissing and spitting. I think he is from momma cat #2 .I have 2 litter mates that I have been handing feeding and they are friendly. I have 4 others from momma 1 that are feral acting Where should I put this kitten? After this I think I have 2 more kittens to go.
We have the group of 4 kittens in the back yard in a fenced off area in a dog crate.They are under a large tree. It is supposed to get over 100 degrees this weekend. Do I need to move them inside?
The kittens that got the antibiotic shot have clear eyes this morning so it did help so that's a positive. Thanks everyone for the support and the help.

NJC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that I have someone coming to see the tame kittens today at 5pm. They are interested in adopting. I'm afraid if I put the feral littermate with them he may hurt them or they will act like the feral one again. What would you advise??