Overgrooming A Small Spot On Belly -- Advice?

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

When I adopted Gracie (Oct. 11th), the shelter had shaved her belly (Oct. 2nd) to check for a spay scar, which she had. In the process, I think they nicked her with the clippers, because there was a teeny scab of dried blood (about the size of a grain of rice) right in the middle of the shaved section when I got her, as though she had a small cut.

In the weeks that followed, the belly hair began to grow back, but I noticed she was overgrooming the area near the little scab... to the point that she was licking it almost raw. Some days it would look inflamed, other days it would look totally normal (pale pink). But as soon as she'd start licking again, it was back to raw and starting to look a bit like road rash.

A few days ago, we decided to put a cone on her in the hopes that it'll give the area time to heal, and have applied a bit of organic extra-virgin coconut oil to the spot to (hopefully) help soothe it. If it's not better by the weekend, we'll be booking a vet visit.

In the meantime, is there anything else we can do to help the area heal?

Also, any suggestions on how to clean the area before taking the cone off, just so she doesn't have to clean excessively and potentially re-inflame the area?

Below is a photo of the area on day two w/ the cone.

The inflamed spot is about the size of a quarter -- the redness has since gone down and the dark "spots" seem to be lifting off, as scabs do.

Also, if anyone looks at the photo and recognizes something more serious, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 7.04.42 PM.png

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
aww poor baby! If possible, I think I'd try to leave the cone on until it is completely healed, that may be your only way of stopping the licking...
Here is something that could help;
from @Mamanyt1953
"you can use a wash made from commercial chamomile tea bags. Just brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and swab it on. It relieves itches, and is mildly antibacterial and antifungal, so it will help prevent any secondary infections, etc. between now and when you see the vet. You can get the bags in the coffee/tea aisle of almost all grocery stores".

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cone keeps her from reaching the rest of herself, she'll need a little help. Brushing to keep her fur straight. It seems to annoy them when their fur is going in the wrong directions. And a bit of a wash after she uses the box.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You might want to call the vet and ask about the spot and see if they would recommend something to help heal it while the cone is on? If it is in fact infected, something topical to address the infection is probably going to be needed to ensure it heals properly and more quickly.

Tbh, no matter what you do after the cone comes off, she will clean, clean, clean everywhere, and particularly everything that she wasn't able to clean herself - even if you keep her clean in the meantime. Her idea of clean, and our (humans) idea of clean are two totally different things!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, all! Her belly is looking much better... if greasy. ;-) We're keeping the cone on for a couple more days, just for good measure. If she starts overgrooming the spot again, or if it suddenly starts to look raw again, we'll be taking her to the vet.

Is there anything we can use to *help* get some of the coconut oil out of her fur before she tackles it with her tongue? I know there are cat wipes -- are they actually effective or would a warm washcloth w/ water (with a blow-dry chaser) be just as good?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I personally think that a warm washcloth (well rinsed if you use scented dryer sheets) is a great idea.
Unless you have some super low/no chemical wipes such as pampers aqua or maybe earthbath, I'm wary of using wipes (on any of our babies human or furry :))

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's kind of what I figured, Furballsmom. Thanks!