Overactive Thyroid And Chronic Diarrhea

dsiefa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Thomas is 17 in July. He has always been a tough outdoor cat catching rats and chasing other cats. He has slowed down a lot int he last year or so, but more worryingly he lost a lot of weight, wanted food all the time and his coat got matted and smelled bad. Worse, he has had chronic diarrhea for at least 3 weeks now.
I took him to the vet and he has been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid. He started meds yesterday, and started on Royal Canin gastric intestinal food and canipur to help settle his stomach a week ago. He still has chronic diarrhea. He looks so uncomfortable, I can hear his tummy rumbling and he runs to the door, he is trying to be so good, but we have the odd accident (Lots of plastic over the floor now!) How can I help him? The vet just keeps saying it'll take time, and I know they're right, but I want to help him now, I literally cried all day on Tuesday as I considered not letting him suffer any more as he laid on the floor looking utterly miserable. Any tips would be appreciated. A friend suggested Libbys complete Pumpkin but my vet says no, not for now, so I've not tried it. I just need to hear some recovery stories to see light at the end of the tunnel for Thomas.
Thank you

GameJeannie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm wondering if your vet might be able to help with a mild pain killer to help with the discomfort? When my cat had an intestinal blockage (but they thought it was IBS) they gave me a mild pain killer that I would inject down her throat and it really seemed to make her more comfortable.

I would also say to avoid changing her diet again so quickly, as I've been told that cats with digestive issues can struggle with new foods and it can apparently make this worse.

Otherwise I would say just lots of gentle TLC and attention to make sure nothing changes for the worse.

I will say though, when Echo was sick with the intestinal blockage it was an almost impossible month trying to find the problem and make her well...but now she's happy and cuddly and is just like nothing happened; I'm sure she will be the same.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Give him some time, and LOTS of love, which I am sure you are doing. Don't fret, he isn't going to blame you for any of it! Cats aren't like that. OH...do be aware that thyroid issues can cause thinning hair in cats, so don't panic if you notice some of that. DO tell the vet, but don't panic!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dsiefa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks both.
Thomas still has diarrhoea. He is not getting any better. I am seriously considering what is best for him right now :(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Know what? If you are getting to that point, I'd go ahead and try the pumpkin. If it works, tell the vet. If it doesn't, you haven't done anything that hurt, at any rate!