Outside Or Not? If So, Collar Or Harness?

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! The snow is melting (until we get another 18” on Thursday)o_O The birds are returning and I’ve been leaving the blinds open for Buttercup to watch them, but my question is this:
I think she would enjoy some on leash outside time, but I’m afraid that if she loves it she may start bolting out and get in trouble. Should I open this can of worms or no? If so, I feel like a collar worn all the time would be safer so she would have tags at all times, meaning a collar that doesn’t safe release. Is that okay? I know most cat collars do have a safe release, but that would defeat its purpose if she ever (Lord forbid) got out. A harness sounds more secure, but she would only wear it when taken on leash and that would still leave her without tags the rest of the time. I’d like a permanent collar style collar with tags I think, but how dangerous is it really to have her wear that style collar? Maybe she should just stay inside? I know you all have so much experience- What do you all think? Thank you!!!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd do a collar all the time and add the harness over the collar when taking her out on the leash. A collar doesn't work with leashes for cats, the restriction at just the neck can cause damage if they run or get caught on something. A harness distributes their weight more evenly and won't accidentally choke her if a dog startles her and she dashes to the end of the leash.

As to the door dashing, if the only time she gets to go outside is with the harness she will quickly associate going outside with the harness not the door opening. Meaning they she won't dash for an open door unless she has the harness on too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd do a collar all the time and add the harness over the collar when taking her out on the leash. A collar doesn't work with leashes for cats, the restriction at just the neck can cause damage if they run or get caught on something. A harness distributes their weight more evenly and won't accidentally choke her if a dog startles her and she dashes to the end of the leash.

As to the door dashing, if the only time she gets to go outside is with the harness she will quickly associate going outside with the harness not the door opening. Meaning they she won't dash for an open door unless she has the harness on too.
Thank you so much for explaining that! I know most collars are breakaway but I want her to have id just in case. I will only let through the door on a harness then, and that does make sense that she would connect the harness with going out. I do want her to enjoy the outside, but I want her safe too! Thanks:noob:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are safety collars that release only when the cat gets in trouble with it, so there's no risk of losing it everyday. The latch is tough enough to withstand accidental jammings, but they safely release the latch as soon the cat gets in serious trouble. I had in on my cat Tom. He would lose the regular safety collar everyday, and I would get phone calls from people who had found the collar in their courtyard.

The harness is a wonderful thing provided that your cat stands it. Some cats hate the harness and play dead or get hyper crazy when they wear it.
My cat Lola used to go around the neighborhood with harness and leash.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have a meet-up spot with your cat where you put her harness on that is away from the door. And then pick her up and carry her outside, don't let her walk outside on her own.