Outside kitty brought in with new kittens.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Or letting them know where she is.  They talk a lot when they are rearing kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's called trilling. It's how she communicates with her kittens.

If the eye has yellow or green mucus you'll need the vet. Otherwise, it should be okay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisastuber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok,thanks.:) My little cat has always made a weird noise like a deep mrrrrrr,and never meows! Momma cat rarely made a noise until she had the babies. I will keep a close eye on babies eye.

lisastuber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well,her eye is still clear,no mucous or anything.But she is making a kind of wheezing sound...like loud breathing. I've never heard this noise from a cat before! She is eating and playing like everything is fine. Vets are closed today,but I'm going to call tomorrow for sure.

lisastuber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh boy,babies other eye is shut now! I am getting really stressed worrying about all these kitties and we don't have much money. My daughter recently had health problems. Momma cat is now chasing and attacking our older cat,and I have no where to separate them! Any ideas or help very appreciated. I love all my babies and want them to be safe and happy and healthy. But if I can't give them the care that they need what can I do?

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put the mom and babies in a bedroom?  Your bedroom?  She is attacking the other cat because she is being protective of her kittens.  this can last for 4  weeks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
lisastuber lisastuber

If the kitten is wheezing and eye is sticking it's likely an upper respiratory infection (URI). The kitten will need antibiotics, and it may be contagious.

In the meantime, you can run a steamy shower and hold the kitten in the bathroom for a few minutes to open the breathing passages.

You'll definitely need to call the vet first thing tomorrow.

lisastuber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Went to the vet this morning,she has a URI. Got meds and eye ointment. They also said I can use Little noses to help her stuffy nose? Anyone use that before?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad she's been treated!

I believe Little Noses is a saline solution that helps to clear the mucus. It's fine to put the drops in the kitten's nostrils as long as it's saline.

Last edited:

lisastuber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. She mentioned a prescription for it..but I know it's over the counter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's available at Walmart and other pharmacies in spray and drops. Probably infant aisle. Use drops only!

lisastuber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm getting really worried about this baby! Her eyes are actually cleared up and no more wheezing sound.But she is not nursing as much as she used to,and acts just plain tired. :( I know that can be because of a stuffy nose,but I've never had a sick Tiny kitten! We've been giving her kmr when she will take it,a couple times a day,doing the steam in the bathroom,giving her the antibiotics,keeping her warm....Just got the meds yesterday,so I may just be panicking. Any other things we can do? Thanks!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feed her a few mLs with a syringe as often as you can. She has to eat. She should turn the corner on the meds around Day 3. In the meantime, since she's not nursing well, you really need to feed her every 2 hours. Even give clear pedialyte in between formula feedings to keep her hydrated.

Last edited:

lisastuber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She finally really ate this morning!!!! :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank goodness.  I've been reading along, without a lot to add, but worrying about this little one.

lisastuber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I'm feeling a little relieved! I keep trying to put pictures on here,but it won't work!