Outdoor To Indoor Cat

Woodleigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new here (hi everyone). I currently have a young kitty (2yo in May), Makita, that lives outside on the farm. My family and I will be moving in March and want to bring her with us as an indoor cat. She is spayed, familiar with a litter box, and is not/will not be declawed. Our new home will be much closer to the road, but will have a small barn and 2-acre yard (no farm). She kills mice, shrews, voles, etc. on the regular. How do I keep her predatory spirit alive without nature's smorgasbord? What considerations should be made in transitioning her from outdoor to indoor? And how do I best reduce her stress? Thank you for your help.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Since she is used to eating full on prey, if it is in your budget you should look into a raw food diet.

As for keeping her hunting spirit alive, besides toys that require your interaction, you could also look into automatic ones.

Some toy suggestions:
-Cat’s Meow Motorized Wand ($30 CAD at my local PetSmart) it has various speed settings and runs for 30 mins before shuttint off.

-Extending fishing rod style toy (~$10 for a higher quality one). The one I got extends to 44 inches and it drives my cats absolutely crazy they love it. When I twirl it around it sounds/looks just like a bird flying. I cannot remember the brand but Jackson Galaxy brand ones are probably the same.

Best of luck!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will need a vet visit when you do bring her in. She probably will have one or more types of intestinal parisites. Plus being defleaed.

Thank you for making her an indoor cat. That's the best thing that can happen to an outdoor cat!

Luna6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like the catio idea that a few people mentioned!

I also wanted to add that if you decide not to let her outside at all anymore to be really careful of open windows and places she can escape. My neighbor had her window open and her cat tore through the screen and escaped! Luckily, he was found. But if she's used to being an outdoor cat, she might be looking for ways to get outside at first.

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My formerly outdoor only gal loves her catio, so here's another vote for the catio! We simply fastened horse wire to the outside of the supports for the back patio, making sure to leave no gaps anywhere, with liberal use of wire cutters, u shaped nails, zip ties, and of course the wire. Was actually fairly cheap, under $200 all told.