Our Seventeen Year Old Baby

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Kallie (short for calico since the wife would not let me name her Crunchy: see below for why) was just a month to 6 weeks old when we rescued her from the SPCA. She was the only survivor of her litter due to them being used as bait cats in a dog fighting ring that was broken up. She was found stuffed in a closet inside a tied bag. Most of her ribs were broken and she was partially blind in one eye along with being deaf in on ear.

After we went into their cat room, my wife was looking at a kitten when I felt tiny needles climbing my leg and I looked down to see this tiny little one scaling me. When she saw me looking down, she said "Me" instead of meow and I could see it took all her strength to say that. The shelter worker was shocked and told us that was the first time they had seen her come out of her bed/box then told us how she came to be there.

We chose to take her home but was warned she would not live more than six months due to all the damage done to her. That did not stop us for no kitten should live out it's life in a shelter and she came home with us. Our first dog (a giant Labrador newfoundland mix) adopted her as his and cared for her.

She lived 17yrs under our roof and shared many fun family times till she passed away in my son's arms, who is 16 yrs old.

Thank you for a place to share memories of a loved one.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your sweet little girl, but what a WONDERFUL thing you did by taking her in all those years ago, and she sure proved them wrong by living that long thanks to your love and care. No matter how long or short we have them it is never long enough, but you did a great thing and she is just fine now in the next life, I wish all cats could be so lucky....

I hope that your hearts heal a bit more each day, Lord Bless you for saving her...... :alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. We have loads of memories of being with her. She loved to ride in a vehicle and would lay in the back window after we parked somewhere. She didn't like traveling in the crate but would tolerate it so she could get out when we stopped. A few times we would put her in a small dog harness and leash so she could walk around in the park with me. I know the dog harness would not stop her slipping out of it but she never tried to.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

Kallie (short for calico since the wife would not let me name her Crunchy: see below for why) was just a month to 6 weeks old when we rescued her from the SPCA. She was the only survivor of her litter due to them being used as bait cats in a dog fighting ring that was broken up. She was found stuffed in a closet inside a tied bag. Most of her ribs were broken and she was partially blind in one eye along with being deaf in on ear.

After we went into their cat room, my wife was looking at a kitten when I felt tiny needles climbing my leg and I looked down to see this tiny little one scaling me. When she saw me looking down, she said "Me" instead of meow and I could see it took all her strength to say that. The shelter worker was shocked and told us that was the first time they had seen her come out of her bed/box then told us how she came to be there.

We chose to take her home but was warned she would not live more than six months due to all the damage done to her. That did not stop us for no kitten should live out it's life in a shelter and she came home with us. Our first dog (a giant Labrador newfoundland mix) adopted her as his and cared for her.

She lived 17yrs under our roof and shared many fun family times till she passed away in my son's arms, who is 16 yrs old.

Thank you for a place to share memories of a loved one.
:hugs::grouphug::alright::grouphug2::hearthrob::rbheart::redheartpump: She is beautiful. Bless you and your wife for saving such a brave little girl. There is a special place in :censored: for the ones who do such evil to innocents.:mad2::cloudy::angryfire:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
What an amazing story. She sure had a will to live and it sounds like she had a wonderful life with you. I'm very sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose them when they've been a beloved part of the family for so long. My thoughts are with your family. RIP, sweet Kallie. :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You were chosen by that precious furbaby so many years ago, bless your heart for accepting what she was trying to let you know. I just lost my own seventeen year old, so know the heartache of no longer having them in our arms or our lives. It takes a long time to adapt to having them in our hearts instead of our homes. For her to have lived so many years, despite being told the contrary, is a testament to the power of love and good care. You know she would never want any of you to be sad on her parting. Just as any one of you would want her to go on in life and find happiness and love once more if you were the first to go, so she wants for you. Because that is what love is, unselfish and only wanting the best for the one you love. Try not to dwell on the end, she died as any of us would want to be our end, surrounded by those who mean the most to us and held in the arms of someone who has known and loved her for all their life. Try to celebrate having her in your life, to have had her share your life journey for a while, to have known her and all her special ways. To have never met her at all would have been a tragic loss to your spiritual self. The bond that ties her to each of your hearts will always be there, her new path will always parallel your own, until the day it once more crosses your own. She will always be near, ask and you will feel her presence, because she will always be held in your loving hearts. Surround yourself with those who knew and loved her, with those who understand your pain. It helps to share a little of it to unburden a heavy heart. Take care.......RIP precious Kallie, let the pure light of your love shine down on those who miss you so dearly, let them feel the peace in your heart and the eternal love you will forever send their way. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was awesome! I have a soft spot for calico and tortie cats!

She would have lived six months in the shelter. Even the most perfect shelter in the world is cold and loveless compared to a home.
She lived to 17 years of age because of you and your love. Your love was the energy that gave her strength to live a full life, the medicine that healed all her wounds, both physical and psychological.
You did an amazing gift to a hopeless kitten.
Thanks from my heart!
RIP Beautiful Kallie

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Kallie, dream you deep. You walk in your mama's and daddy's hearts forever.

Oh, she was lovely, and oh, still she is lovely. Thank you for sharing her story. What a big little life she lived, and what strength of soul she had to not only survive what she did at the hands of cruel men, but to reach out to the heart of a kind man. That soul is with you still, for love never dies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the kind words. I have always believed in rescuing animals from shelters than purchasing them from a store. My wife at first did not understand my view but when we adopted our little Kallie, she understood. Every animal we have or had, has been a rescue and to this day I still firmly stand on the belief that all animals need to be loved and given a home.